Agnostic.com

20 0

LINK John Allen Chau, Preacher killed by Natives, Appalling Atheist Reactions - YouTube

I would like your thoughts. Was I out of line to call out atheist?

DavidLaDeau 8 Nov 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Atheist responses? If this did not involve a religiously brainwashed imbecile, we ALL would be laughing at the stupidity of the idiot. A Darwin award is due.

The asshats that convinced him that this was a good idea should all have the same experience. They encouraged his suicide. They should be punished just like others who have been convicted of such.

Speak for yourself and please watch the video.

@DavidLaDeau . . I did watch. . . . This child was told to do this. Those people should go to jail for murder.

Sad he was so fucked by others that he committed suicide.

Mao, Stalin, Hitler, ALL thought they were doing something they believed in.

AND:::: millions of people die every year who are innocent. I got little empathy for only one.

@Jacar It looks like we are on the same page more than it appeared. I am glad you did watch the video I am sorry I thought you did not. I have gotten many negative comments that came from people who simply commented on the title, it is very common. I am also sad that Mao, Stalin, and Hitler were obviously in some way mentally ill and for all of their victims. They were all humans. I do not like or approve of horrable actions. I am sorry that people for what ever reason commited bad actions. In this case religion poisioned Johns brain.

Here’s something on the Christian attitude to law. The apostle Paul wrote to the Romans to tell them to be in subjection to secular law (Romans 13:1 etc.) This is modified by Acts 5:28, 29):

Every person must be subject to the governing authorities, for no authority exists except by God's permission. The existing authorities have been established by God, so that whoever resists the authorities opposes what God has established, and those who resist will bring judgment on themselves.

He said, "We gave you strict orders not to teach in his name, didn't we? Yet you have filled Jerusalem with your teaching and are determined to bring this man's blood on us!" But Peter and the apostles answered, "We must obey God rather than men.

So the guy followed the Christian imperative in Mark 16:15:

Then he told them, "As you go into all the world, proclaim the gospel to everyone.

It is well known among Bible Scholars that the 16th chapter of Mark is spurious. However, Mark 16:15 is similar to Matthew 28:19.....but this too is a spurious verse....When the Roman Catholic Church was "keeper" of the NT Scriptures the Monks were monkeying with the text.

@nicknotes Perhaps they are but then there's:

But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be [a]witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.” - Acts 1:8.

The guy believed he was following a prime directive from Christ.

@brentan It was unfotrinate for everyone that he believed any of it.

Religious delusions are common. @brentan

@nicknotes Yes indeed. I was that soldier!

Let it be religion recruiting or science monitoring showing Ugly Nose where they don't belong or are wanted.

Well....as we say here in the south.

Bless his heart.

What's done is done. He's dead.He died being an idiot. I feel no problem laughing at the circumstances surrounding his death and still feel some compassion for his friends and family. But c'mon, his death was a comical result of his deluded action. Like that l big game hunterwho got eaten by Lions.

Would you it be comical if it was your brother, father or son?

@DavidLaDeau not to me, but to others, yes

He was an ass. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Inserting yourself where you are Clearly not invited nor desired is called "unmitigated gall" and deserves no sympathy from Any thinking being. Unless you are offering to let me come squat in your living room...?

We must not conflate ones actions no matter how horrable with humanity. We do not hate the person that has the cancer we hate the cancer. He was infected with religion. I would hope that you would feel sad that he was.

I thought that Chau's actions were the height of Xstian arrogance until I heard Xstians calling for retribution against the tribe who defended themselves against this disease carrying invader. Believers are delusional and should be treated as such, delusional and potentially dangerous.

I see what you are talking about, David. When I was a believer my mind could imagine a single preacher, a superman of the Christian faith, as parachuting into Iran and coming out easily with 300 or more converts because of the Holy Spirit. These things are a part of Christian ego and a great example of wrong thinking. Perhaps Mr. Chau thought this way too. Now he is dead and has exposed an entire tribe to modern diseases they knew nothing of. The culprit here is none other than religion. Somehow John Allen Chau thought he could do this to the betterment of everyone involved because he "had the right religion." There is no right religion.

Thank you, there are very few that sem to understand what I was getting to.

What part of No Trespassing did the zealot not understand?

What part of he was infected by the poisonous infection of religion do people not understand. He did wrong, It was due to religion. It is sad he was infected in the first place.

I fixed it for you

Applauding atheist reactions

I really hope you did not watch the video and then made this comment. I would be very embarrised if I had.

"He was doing what he thought was right". you could say the same about the inquisition.

Yes and they were wrong too. I did make a point of stateing that he was wrong. Religion is the thing to hate here.

Let me help you "John Allen Chau, a human being who didn't have an issue with committing genocide. I David LaDeau have a big problem with people not being sympathetic to a man who was entirely willing to wipe out an entire culture to further his selfish ends. Waah, waah atheists are so mean. Pointing out facts and refusing to accept excuses for bad behaviour. I am so much better than you all ad nauseam(emphasis on the nausea here).

I would suggest actually watching the video before making embarrising comments about the content that you did not see.

The island which he went to is well known. Others, not trying to spread religion have been killed there. So, he would have known the risks. And doing so makes him eligible for a Darwin award. If he expected god to protect him, he was highly naive. I place his death in a category akin to going into North Korea to preach, etc. You have been warned, and you should expect the worst.

Evidently he was so blinded by faith in his non existant god that he thought that it would all work out. Is that not sad?

I feel sympathy for Chau in the same way I feel sympathy for the 9-11 hijackers or anyone else whose narcissistic delusions trump all other values in their disordered minds. I don't wish anyone dead but when I hear of a fatal high-speed traffic accident between two cars I always hope that it was the bad driver who died and not the person he hit.

We all have been bad drivers, I wish harm on on one.

@DavidLaDeau With all due respect, I think that position is a cop out. Someone who is actively harming others needs to be stopped. I wish this sap hadn't brainwashed himself into thinking that his stupid, reprehensible and potentially lethal actions weren't virtuous, but once he did, he was a menace. Our society would have locked him up; the Andaman islanders had their own system, which was possibly more humane in the end, and I'm not crying over it. Or maybe you're just saying that people should be nicer on social media?

@Gareth It is a cop out to be sad that he attempted to do something horrable? It is a cop out to be sad that he did have to be stopped. It is a cop out to hate the religion that causes people to do terrable things in the name of religion. No I don't think so. I am angry at him also. I am angry that he was infected with religion in the first place, Thank You Sir.

I understand what you are saying about him being a human being, and we should therefore feel compassion about his demise at the hands of this native tribe. I do take issue though, with calling out atheists for lack of compassion. I myself, have compassion in abundance for my fellow human beings in all situations...including for this poor misguided man, however, whilst feeling that compassion for his horrible death, I can still decry his idiocy and arrogance. The Indian Government have been clear to everyone that it is illegal to land on this Island, he knew this. This is for two legitimate reasons....1.The North Sentinel Islanders wish to be left in isolation and 2. Any contact with the outside world is likely to bring infection to the island and could prove to be fatal for them. What he did was illegal, thoughtless and arrogant ....and he paid the price. We cannot blame the islanders...they were only protecting themselves they only way they knew how to against an invader. The rhetoric I have heard from your president regarding the so called caravan of invaders to your own borders, leads me to believe that he would have no compunction in ordering shots to be fired at anyone breaching orders to stay out of USA . I suggest you hold fire on people like us who can see that what this man did was foolish, thoughtless, and arrogant, and focus on the zealotry and delusional ideas that his extreme Christian beliefs put into his mind, to fateful ends.

Thank you for a completely thoughful response. You hit all the right points. I am not trying to justify his wrong doing. He was wrong, I say so in my video. You were right to recognize that he was a human and wrong due to religion. I commend YOU! Many do not seperate the religious dogma from the human. Kudos!

So a guy thinks that he does not have to steer his car because god will save him. He then crashes into a tree. So what! one less idiot. We would be thankful that no one else was hurt. That guy was the same only worse. The overwhelming vanity of it all is what pisses me off. Its bad enough when they shout at you on the high street "Repent sinner before its too late." I shout back "Who the fuck are YOU to tell me what I should do and think? What gives YOU the right to say that you are any better than me or anyone else."
It was not the love of god that drove that man. It was his colossal vanity.

The response here seems to lack the distinction of religion verses human beings. I hate what religion does to people, but I still love the people.

@DavidLaDeau John Donne "If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were: any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee"
Whist I appreciate Donnes sentiments here. Some mens deaths diminishes me less than others. As I type this thousands of children are starving to death in Yemen. Yet this idiot claims the news and our thoughts. Those children did not seek starvation or court disaster. They are simply there. Where was his love of god if he could spend all that time and money to go to that island and not give to them? Yet this would have been a truly selfless act. No headlines, no glory, he would not have been "the man". Just a good simple soul doing right. Obviously not good enough for this arrogant, vain and stupid young man.

@273kelvin Yep all you say is true. I could have been him very easily. I was indoctrinated at birth,and truely believed. I was a fundamentalist wacko. This guy was a wacko. It was the posion of religion that compelled him to do so. It is very sad, He potentially hurt other people. He was sick. Do you not have any compassion for a human being that has been so mentally disturbed by religion?

@DavidLaDeau How far would you extend this? Okay lets take to extremes. Would you have compassion for an SS guard executed when the allies liberated his camp? He too was indoctrinated. He too was doing what he thought was right.

@273kelvin Yes I would. I believe my grandfather was one. Many did not have a choice.They did waht they had to do or rish their entire families being killed. They justified the unjustifiable in order to survive. It was wrong and they may have done horrable things. My grandfather immigrated to America and was indeed a very good man. If he did do horrific things he did not do them out side of that enviroment. It was not him but the culture that made him do it(if he did anything bad at all.) We are humans. I do not see why there is a difficulty understanding that religion posions everything.

@DavidLaDeau You may know this joke already but anyway here goes.
A very pious man get a warning one morning on TV that the local dam is going to burst and all that live in its path should evacuate. He thinks to himself "I am a pious man and god will save me" The warning is repeated on radio yet again he thinks "I am a pious man and god will save me". The police come to his house and tell him to get out and they will give him a lift if he needs it. He replies "I am a pious man and god will save me". The dam breaks and water is up to his bedroom window. A rescue boat cames to take him but again he says "I am a pious man and god will save me". The water reaches to the roof where he is trapped but a helicopter arrives to winch him to safety. Yet still he declines their offer saying "I am a pious man and god will save me"....He drowns. When he gets to heaven he asks god "Why did you not save me?" God says "You fucking idiot. I sent you warnings on the TV and radio. I sent a police car, a boat and a fucking helicopter! Why did you not listen?"
Even the religious believe in free will. Your grandfather made choices as did that young man. If they are wrong, motivated by self interest or preservation. Then they should live with the consequences. They do not deserve our sympathy or compassion. better to save that for the more deserving.

@DavidLaDeau the human being in this case was fine with committing genocide in the name of his religion. So no, you don't get to call the people pointing out how reprehensible his actions were "bad people". What a load of B.S.

@OpposingOpposum Again you still miss the point. I would not call them "bad People" only indicate their bad behavior. They are good people with good reason to be angry as I am, Sometimes anger produces inappropiate responses.

@DavidLaDeau So would it be "bad behaviour" to think ill of the twin tower terrorists? They too had god on their side. They too were indoctrinated into the cause. They too made many many conscious actions toward that end and they too are not indicative of the vast majority who follow the same religion but choose to live their lives in peace, harming so one.
So should I feel sympathy for the Manchester bomber who very nearly killed my daughters friend? How far does this extend? Serial killers, gang bangers, sadistic child murderers? The problem is that although you have ditched the theory of god. You seem to still have the christian ethics. A lordable residue you may think but let me tell you. There are reasons that nearly all christians are hypocrites. IT DOES NOT WORK . You turn the other cheek and you will get walked over. Plus you give rights and condone actions of people who should not have those rights or even tacit approval.
The judge of ethical behaviour is often "What if everybody did it?" Whilst I normally dislike hard and fast rules let us apply it here. Atm that young man is (imho rightly) condemned by society for gross stupidity and religious arrogance. So lets pretend that you win the day and we all say "Ah poor soul". There will undoubtedly be (as there probably are some now) many more who will take it further and look upon him as a martyr. Other young men and women may well seek to emulate him. After all he died doing gods work didnt he?. Just as each suicide bomber goes into the myth of legend. Each christian martyr that follows may likely do the same. What price those Indian lives then? Okay not those island people but what of the christian nutters who vandalised ancient Mayan temples in Peru? Do they deserve our sympathy or condemnation?.... No! there is a reason we condemn, because it was wrong!
Try this, post a similar youtube winge about the 9/11 hijackers and see if anyone gives you anything but abuse. Ah well thats different because they were brown skinned and the people who died were white and our people? The road to hell is paved with good intentions. It is a shame that I do not believe in hell because all those zealots can go there and rot for all care. They won't get any big salty tears out of me.

He put an entire group of people at risk and if he was carrying any pathogens to which they have no resistance the effects may still be catastrophic. I have absolutely no sympathy for this idiot or for his family who indoctrinated him into thinking that this was somehow a good idea!

I hate the religion and love humans. There is a big difference here between the two.

@DavidLaDeau I love humans too I just have more love to the entire population of the island at risk, than this fool! He was warned and carried on regardless, his actions may still lead to the decimation of a unique human population if not their complete extinction!

@Pete66 Yep it was his beliefs in religion that compelled him to do horrific things.

@DavidLaDeau no. It was his desire for glory and personal gain that led him to risk others lives. This is about his failings as a person, not his religion.

@OpposingOpposum Can you demnostrate how you know this to be true? I could be, but usually Chistians approach these type of things from a position of servitude. How do we determine it was a desire for glory only and not to serve his non-existant God? What ever the failings were if it were not for religion he would have never gone to spread his religion.

Religious people regularly call it "God's judgment" for someone's imagined crimes when terrible things happen. Recall Jerry Falwell's hateful comments after 9/11, when he blamed the terrorist attack on the Roe v Wade decision, among others... gay people, unwed mothers, and atheists I believe were among those he blamed for God "allowing" the attacks on the Twin Towers and the Pentagon. Here we have actual crimes for which someone suffered the ultimate price.

I think atheists have a right to equal time for calling people out when they bring punishment upon themselves.

I agree. I would also like to say there is a big difference between hating religion and hating human beings. That was my point here.

I would like to know your thoughts on this. Was I out of line by calling out Atheist?

Yep. Holier than thou, ignoring the fact that this man intended to commit genocide(in one sense or another) and insistent that we "feel bad for" and therefore tolerate bad actors because of their beliefs. He was a grown man with all his faculties intact. He chose to carry out an action that could have had catastrophic effects for others. He was responsible for his own actions and his own death.
Pointing out hypocrisy and speaking out against people who commit terrible acts in the name of their beliefs doesn't make atheists "insensitive". We simply aren't blinded by the story religion tries to tell about itself any more. I refuse to be shamed into silence by some twit who has a problem with me not being sympathetic to a genocidal idiot.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:229338
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.