Agnostic.com

354 20

For atheists - what makes you believe no deity exists?

I became an agnostic because, from my perspective, there isn't enough evidence to prove whether there is a God or Higher Powers or not. I think atheism is based more on belief rather then empirical evidence and science, though much evidence would concur that there isn't a God.

Alright, shoot. 🙂

RYSR10 6 Sep 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

354 comments (226 - 250)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I grew up idolizing Spock, who famously said that there were always alternatives. Not wanting to be boxed into a binary decision, I first identified as a 'nullifidian.' Perhaps this is applicable to you?

If you have faith god is real to you personally I have no faith in god

Took the words right out of my mouth. Precisely the same reason I became an agnostic too.

bzm64 Level 3 Mar 10, 2018

Science.

Atheists don't believe in a god because there is no evidence of one... Same reason a lot of us don't believe in unicorns. Give me evidence and I'll consider it.

Atheists know that there are no gods. I do not know that. The universe is incredibly huge, we do even not know how big it is how could anyone say they know about god or gods? I absolutely do not believe in the gods of any human invented religions, all of them are absurdities created to exploit and control humans. But about the possible existence or non-existence of gods I do not know and I do not care one way or another.

I think I read it in our by-laws.

Tomas Level 7 Mar 15, 2018

There never was evidence one way or the other. Gods are imaginary.

Lack of evidence certainly. You certainly can't prove a negative. Like in a Court of Law we either conclude Guilty based on Evidence, or Not guilty because of lack of evidence/ reasonable doubt. We don't have to prove innocence, nor should we.

I dont' 'believe no deity exists that would be a complete and utter waste of my time which I cherish- I HAVE NO SKY GODS - I WANT NO SKY GODS - simple eh? you are the one who needs the proof, don't put it on me! And if you are as I suspect proseletysing - I will block you!

Wrong wording I do not 'believe' that no deity exists as there is no evidence for a belief of that kind. My unbelief is of no importance to me at all it is a non subject . You say 'there isnt enough evidence' There is NO evidence and - To make the point once and for all there is nothing to believe.there is a story - There are many many stories do you think Heidi exists or Tom Sawyer? I am totally uninterested in gods

One of the oldest trick for the voodoobeings, that's what I call them they are no better then any other voodoo cult! is their assumption one can prove a negative, Oh contraire my dubious friends its upon you the accuser to prove that their is such a so called god! Denial is a two sided blade sword baby! it swings both ways< but in this case it can only swing one way, its how we civilized people run our lives pray on that for a while , better yet try to improve your thinking and thus improve your life instead of waiting for the sky fairy to do it! Its all just thought, then action, you got to add action as Roy Rodgers quoted you can be in the right lane but if you aren't moving, you'll
get ran over!

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?”

Epicurus

The lack of (good) evidence. The best arguments only prove that someting happened and now we have a universe. It says nothing about that thing's attributes or even if it's a being or a natural event. The clasical arguments say nothing about that thing sending its son to die and free us from our sins. on Calvary. So, until I have better evidence, I'll assume that we human beings are a product of natural events.

Everything to me is part of the same universe, we know how old it is... before time began would be just as natural, I see no reason to attribute it to a god simply because we don’t know the answer, that’s falling into the god of the gaps thing and would make us the same as a theist... agnostic seems like your trying to hedge your bets should your logic fail you. Seems to me once you have gone as far as agnostic you would have to go to hell for finding out to late and not being saved... reason enough to make the jump to athiest for me. We don’t need evidence to prove no god exists, I can make up stuff you can’t prove all day, it’s up to theists to prove he does, but once they say it’s a matter of faith the conversation is over.

Logic.

You must prove your bullshit fantasy exists, until and unless you do, it's fiction.
I do not have to disprove the negative condition of your non-existent fantasy.

Religious theologians actually teach a false narrative about Atheism and Agnosticism. Your opening statement tells me you are still laboring under that.

" I think atheism is based more on belief rather then empirical evidence and science, though much evidence would concur that there isn't a God.."

This tells me you are viewing Agnosticism and Atheism as points on a linear line, on the left, Theism, In the middle Agnosticism, and on the right Atheism, this is FALSE and INTENTIONAL by theologians.

A-Theism is a response to Theism, the a prefix denotes "lack of"
This is a position on belief, you have a belief in a God, or you lack a belief in God

A-Gnosticism is a response to Gnosticism, the A-prefix denotes lack of
This is a position on Knowledge, you claim to have knowledge of a God, or you claim to lack such knowledge of a God

Religion does not want to even acknowledge Gnosticism, because by doing so they have to admit Atheism (a lack of belief) has weight.

With the FALSE linear model, they teach followers that Atheists are COUNTERCLAIMING, claiming that Theists claim there is a God, Agnostics do not know, and Atheists claim there is no God. That is wrong both on linguistics and basic honesty.

Atheism is not ‘the belief that god(s) do not exist’.
Atheism is ‘not believing claims made stating that god(s) exist’.

I do not have a belief that god(s) are nonexistent, I just do not believe the claims made by others that their god(s) do exist.

There is a diference between believing no deity exists and not beliving in deities. I don't believe in imaginary beings such as deities. I accept the possibility that they could exist but have seen no evidence to make me believe they do. It is impossible to prove something does not exist, but that is no reason to belive it does.

Ok, I'll shoot. Oh wait. I'm not an atheist. I'm an agnostic. Sorry, didn't mean to ruin it by submitting a comment. 😟

I don't see belief or not as mutually exclusive. For me God is like an echo of our awareness of both our universe and living things. God as an idea actually validates that awareness regardless of how I express it in my life. And that is where I become agnostic. My experience, belongs only to me.

Still, I experience deeply personal and sacred things both in nature and the night sky. And even if we can reduce these emotions and experiences to awwwww moments, woven together, even becoming collectively woven together we begin to arrive at a collective whispering about God.

But my goodness we sure do make a whole bunch of noise about the whole mess--that's for sure. Finally, why do we not discuss whether our feelings of hunger, thirst and others to decide if they are valid or not?

For the same reason you are an agnostic, I am an atheist. I firmly believe that if gods did exist, they would have left their signature everywhere.

JimG Level 8 Apr 7, 2018

True atheism is a rejection of theism, not a belief. It is a refusal to believe in a system of thought merely because of childhood indoctrination. It is a rejection of myth, not of truth. Indeed, it is an embracing of evidenced truth.

All deities to this point have died the test of time. I don't know if there is a higher power that were my agnostism lies. I'm an atheist as far as beings
Shep Level 4 Apr 11, 2018

You are trying to shift the burden of proof, classic mistake

Think of it like a court case, Atheists 'the jury' find the defendant 'God' not guilty of existing or..... in other words the prosecution 'theists' have not proven thier case. Why isnt it the other way round you ask? Because we 'Atheists' are not making the assertion of existance.

It amazes me the amount of people who struggle with this, but hey ho

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:254
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.