Agnostic.com

42 1

What do you believe in?

I've been asked by many people who believe in a higher power or a God what I believe in. I ask all of you, what do you believe in?

• 1 vote
  • 18 votes
  • 39 votes
  • 3 votes
  • 17 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 4 votes
Occgenius 5 Jan 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

42 comments (26 - 42)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Nothing! I value knowledge not beliefs. Resting on one's beliefs is a sign of laziness and/or fear of being wrong.

Honestly, what is the value of belief without a cogent argument to defend it?

Buxx Level 7 Jan 11, 2019

@maturin1919 Incorrect to believe means to accept as true without investigation, evidence, or proof, the only thing worse is Faith which is to accept something as true in spite of investigation providing a lack or contrary to evidence, truth or proof.

@maturin1919 No because if you believe something WITH evidence you don't believe it you KNOW it.

I believe in reality using logic and evidence. Nothing supernatural and nothing speculative. If you have an idea that you think might be true, prove it.

I prefer to use the words “accept as true” vs “believe. But I care a lot about words and how they are used.

Lilie Level 6 Jan 11, 2019

Forgot the most important: "Nothing"

I don't like any of your choices. How about the choice "reality?"

Empirical Proof and documented, tried and tested Evidence, that completely leaves out any notions/ideas of a Deity/Deities, Spirituality, Heaven, Hell, Jesus Christ and everything religious.

Science

"I believe in miracles!"

"I think (badly) therefore I am." The rest is either evidence or BS.

But why ask such a question on a site like this ?

Agnostics.com

Abandon?

Yah, I don't get that either

I hold lots of opinions...but are they beliefs? Can’t really say I believe in anything, unless there is evidence as proof, and then it becomes fact not belief.

nihilism perhaps

Energy is just a mathematical concept to simplify continuity equations XD.
In theory (and with 10X more pages, you can describe any physical phenomena without the energy simplification. (Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica from newton does this and it is a pain in the a**** to deal with)

What? There is no such thing as "continuity equations". Energy is not a mathematical concept, certainly not the implied definition you're using.

"Energy" in physics is just a scalar constant measuring the amount of physical work used. (Nothing more. No new age BS.) But it's not a fundamental concept in math.

@Buxx mathematical construct, my bad.
Energy itself cannot be measured, cannot be seen, produced etc. You produce voltage, light, momentum, speed. Energy as physical entity does not exist exactly, is just a constant in the system, a way to simplify the balances.
Of course this is a strict phylosophical view. For all practical purposes you can treat eneregy as as something "real". And not talking about new age energy at all.

Well, I exist - as do dogs (my own examples are archy and mehitabel - retired racing greyhounds). Energy exists. Abandon exists. I guess those I 'believe in', as there is evidence that they're there - but I don't believe in them as a 'higher power'.

Ooh Mr. Reon do you have doggie pics? I have to vicariously share dogs because I can't have one pout.

@Amisja I shall make a post with a pic of archy, bel and myself right away, Amisja!

@Amisja In fact, here it is! On the right (as you look) archy, on the left, bel.

@ToakReon awww they are adorable

@ToakReon those are lovely dogs!

I know I am here

@irascible Had I have compiled the list, I would have added 'you'. I believe in your mm high text and know you are somewhere behind it. I like that

In the time it takes to say, I am here, I have moved (earth orbit, general hurling through space) and I have changed (metabolism) so I am not here, some former self was there.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:263162
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.