Agnostic.com

28 4

Love at first sight

Hi my fellow rationals, Does the nutshell of Love at first sight true? I mean, can scientifically be demonstrate? Does the field of psychology supports it?

Albert_Camus 5 Jan 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

no. it is not supported. a lot of things are mistaken for love and those things can happen quickly, but love is something that grows. sometimes those other things that are mistaken for love, just by chance happen to lead to love. that is mistaken for love at first sight. but it's something else at first sight, and then love.

g

Yes it does married my love at first sight and we have n been together in good and bad together for almost 60 years. I could not have made a better choice.

I suppose it depends on how you define love. In Psychology the definition generally includes something beyond lust -- which is all you can feel at first sight. Anything more you think you are experiencing is you putting your hopes and expectations on this stranger. It sometimes develops into a real love relationship, but it's uncommon.

I doubt you hit love immediately, since in order to love someone you must know them. Otherwise you are simply infatuated with your ideas/expectations of who you imagine the other person to be.

Lust, on the other hand...

Guess I'm a cynic at heart. I think it's all pheromones and biochemistry.

Chemical love disappears after 7ish years. I've known people who loved their spouses until death. My mother's last words were "Now I get to be with your father". He had died 39 years prior.
So I agree some love is pheromones and biochemistry but some isn't. The second is probably more akin to whole heartedly worshipping a god who may or may not exist.

@Biosteelman And I believe that is possible but the question was about love at first sight.

@Caffee38 I know. My mom (maybe a fantasy she told me) said they fell in love at first sight she was 15. Other women I've talked to that have stayed married 30+ years some said the same others didn't. Both my ex wives<<yeah that looks bad>>I fell in love with the first time I saw them smile.

Yes, it happened to me. It is chemistry, a physical need to be with that person, and not just to fulfil a sexual need, it is something more than that. There is a difference between mere lust and this, but I think you would have to have experienced it to realise the difference.

I think you can have lust/attraction at first site. Love is deeper.

I believe in passion at first sight that can last for a year, hence this passion ends or turns in love. True love only with time can prove.

ylma Level 5 Apr 28, 2019

How can love someone if you don't know them.

I would say it would be lust or attraction to another's endorphins or pheremones at first site. Love is so much more than that. First sighting you know nothing about the person so you love the idea of the person or the fantasy in your head of them, not the actual person.

It exists and if encountered give yourself up to it. Yes, it will end ; yes it will hurt, but you will grow from there. No scientific research was involved here; only personal experience.

Love is such a subjective concept that I see no hope of it having any scientific context.

I feel its more of Lust at 1st site, tho when i saw my wife for the very 1st time, i knew she was the one, and 13 months later we got married and as of this May we will be married 52 years.

its definitely something at first sight but you don't know them, perhaps they don't even speak your language or are married, so it can't possibly be love, but its something. if you both have it and everything works out, good for you!

It happened to me with my wife. So I KNOW that it is possible. But there is no way to set up an ethical, efficient, reliable, and repeatable study. How would you ever attempt to get it placebo-controlled. what s the placebo anyway. There are some FMRI studies showing people “falling in lust” and falling in like, but love is something else altogether.

I think love is too complicated to be examined in a scientific way. There is a lot of scientific documentation about sexual attraction, but love is hard to quantify. I think no one has discovered a way to quantify love.

Actually there's been a lot of research starting in the 1970's. The stuff coming out of the Gottman Institute in Seattle is good research and the predictions made are very accurate.

Let me answer that with a make believe situation that so many people really do believe in.

Imagine a couple laying together under the stars and they have just had sex and are now smoking and looking into the night sky. One asks of the other "are you thinking what I'm thinking?" There is no logic here and it's not possible. If they have known each other for some time and they talk a lot you come close maybe, but it is not really possible.

So much for "love at first sight." It may appear that way but appearances are deceiving. Each of the two are having a different experience.

It may, but can be very one-way..

Varn Level 8 Jan 13, 2019

I believe in love at first sight!!! It's only happened 3x for me: My two sons upon giving birth to them and my first true love, his name is Kelly.

I never thought it was true until it happened to me. Not quite first sight but within 1/2 an hour. We went to the supermarket to buy some drinks, held hands and it was electric. Totally incompatible, age, culture, race and ambitions but wow what a ride.

The first impression is visual (nice butt, tits for him and tall, muscular and a big slong). The second impression is mental. Is he/she intellectual or dumber than a brick. The third impression is portfolio.

Trod Level 5 May 7, 2019

I certainly believe in great chemistry at first sight... and that can lead to love.

I fell in love with my daughter the second I saw her (I know it’s different) the single most happy moment of my life.
If there ever was a perfect person... that’s my baby.

Tomas Level 7 Mar 18, 2019

I say it's in the realm of possibility. I don't think science can explain it, in a control method. Psychology might support it in some way. You would have consult one to find out.

Yes, it exists, but it's not a good idea.

Orbit Level 7 Jan 20, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:264606
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.