Agnostic.com

25 17

Spending a few days with a new man is a microcosm of the future relationship

“I would make an excellent sous chef,” Stuart bragged on the phone. As a retired attorney who doesn’t cook, he was arguing against this part of my profile:

“Although I’m a great cook, I’m not willing to do all of the meal planning, preparation and cooking. Everyone loves the magic words, ‘Dinner is served.’”

Last November, Stuart spend three days at an Air B&B in Wenatchee. I took him for a walk on the riverfront, and a four-mile hike around Icicle Gorge. I was raised to be a gracious hostess.

The default for men who don’t cook is to wait for food to be served. Stuart sat on his butt while I cooked three meals a day. Breakfast was particularly galling. My food got cold while I repeatedly popped up to slice pears and set items he wanted on the table.

I wish I had said, “Get up and get it yourself!”

Worse, he criticized my cooking (salmon was too dry at the tail end), my roasted almonds were not dark enough, wrong oatmeal, etc.) This was rude and ungracious. When someone cooks for me, I never criticize the food.

“Where did he take you out to dinner?” my hiking partner Karen asked. “Nowhere,” I replied. “He never took me out for dinner, nor offered to help pay for groceries.”

“He’s a cheapskate,” Karen replied. “Everyone knows you take your host out to dinner. That’s just good manners.”

FLUSH.

LiterateHiker 9 Jan 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

25 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"Let's drive both of our cars to the trail head," I told Stuart. "After our hike, you can head over Blewett Pass to beat Seattle traffic."

I did that to get rid of him after our morning hike. I felt relieved to see him go.

Great plan. Bye Bye Stuart

I’ve been baking puff pastries. Do these count? Glad you trashed Stuart

I want to do more baking but these pastries are too fattening. Perhaps I'll bake and give them away.

"!".Eesh...!". That's the sound I make when someone tells me a story like this.

He is a fucking lawyer! What did you expect?

Lawyers can take out their clients and he can't take her out...that is really low....

@thinktwice Because they can write it off.

@Sticks48 oh...you are right...ha ha ha ha assholes....

no excuse ...

@thinktwice Agreed. It was as though he had a pseudo sense of supremacy and entitlement. One might think that could have been observed on the first date (like... how he treated others...?)

I love the way you write. Life is a series of stories.

@Mofferatu

Thank you so much! Half-Irish, I'm a born storyteller.

I can be gracious, kind, and generous - but I would not have gotten past his waiting for all meals to be served without him helping. And then complaining !? Uh-uh. No way.

How old is this man? Guess his mama didn't ever teach him good manners.

Truth

@Redheadedgammy

Stuart is 67. He wants a mommy to take care of him and great sex.

FLUSH.

@LiterateHiker Stewart sounds like a typical rich asshole who expects everyone around him to cater to his every need. I would tell him to jack off if he wants great sex, but then he's probably lousy at even that. Good idea to flush him.

@Redheadedgammy

Hilarious!

I remember the Stuart debacle -- it was a debacle, which is a fancy word for a fiasco, which is a fancy word for a disaster, which is a less fancy word meaning all f--ked up.

He was a keeper. 😛

Stuart sounds like an arrogant ass who is full of himself.

I am only surprised you gave him 3 days

about 71.75 hours too many....

@Mitch07102

"Let's drive both of our cars to the trail head," I told Stuart. "After the hike, you can head over Blewett Pass so you beat Seattle traffic."

I did that to get rid of him after our morning hike. Ha ha. Good riddance.

He is the way he is because he has big bucks and a high status job, same with doctors. Unfortunately there are too many women who will put up with a lot of crap from men in both professions because of these facts, even more so if the man has good looks. He has no incentive to change his personality because there are always women who will accept how he is. A glowing example of how little personality counts with some in the dating game as long as the man is high value, as they say.

Glad you have higher standards and are not seeking a sugar daddy.

@MissKathleen How is that different than what I said? My point is that the fact of some women being attracted to him as he is allows him to stay as he is. If he couldn't find anyone willing to accept his crap, he would seriously consider changing his ways and probably end up doing so. I concede that not only women he dated but probably others as well-friends, family- have played a role in allowing him to be that way with no consequences.

@MissKathleen Yes there are, but way fewer women will pair up with them. Their status is low value, to use the modern term.

@MissKathleen It was related to the topic, as the man's problem was a sense of entitlement. My comments appear to have been fine with the OP, LiterateHiker, and there was probably a reason she shared that the man was a retired lawyer as she felt it was pertinent to his sense of entitlement. Let the OP speak for herself, Kathleen. She could have made your criticism for herself and I would have gladly accepted it. I'm done.....

@MissKathleen Maybe someone else will. I've done my best. Maybe look at yourself, as not that many people on here seem to end up arguing with me. It's not my day to be responsible for you.
Now, would you like a block or are we done?

So where is he now? What happened to him? Some unlucky woman end up with him?

@GreatNani

Don't know and don't care.

Don't worry, he'll keep dating and eventually end up with a younger trophy wife who cooks. Because life isn't fair.....

Good instincts, LH. Not a good look for an attorney, retired or not. Better luck next time, hon. 🤓

Sounds like a twat to me

I think I've seen this before. Stuart is good riddance. Hell, I love to cook.

@GuyKeith

I have a massive crush on you.

@LiterateHiker I am flattered. ?✔

What a jerk!

You have too many of types of men in your area...you need to find new hunting grounds....this is awful in so many ways...just rude and inconsiderate...Flush a few times to get rid of that s......

This also a reason I recommend never getting married until you have lived together at least a year, as living together is when you really find out what someone is like and how things will work, or not...

Didn't the "Retired Lawyer" title cause a red flare to fire off in your head?

@bigpawbullets

No, I don't discriminate against retired lawyers.

I cook, what else can I say. Wish I was closer.

Wow! This guy was a prize.

Horrid human beings like to criticize what they can't or won't do. Sounds typical coming from an attorney. Not that all attorneys are bad. But many have a sense of entitlement that is largely underserved.

Was that a typo? Underserved versus undeserved? Very clever if yes, fun coincidence if not!

@pasha-one-nine

Oops! That should have been undeserved. Going have browbeat the geniuses at Grammarly for correcting a perfectly good word.

Unbelieveable, I love cooking, The reason is I eat healthy and always want to know what ingredients is in there. Even while I,m working the slow cooker is on. Just not fond of doing dishes lol. The deal is always, I'll cook you do the dishes but I always rinse them as I use them. I still peel my veggies every day being single,means having many dinner parties

I guess the upside to me admitting that I'm a mediocre, fair to poor cook, is that I usually get help in the kitchen! 🙂 Gee, with you up front suggesting help in the kitchen, and him bragging he'd be a great help, that's a pretty poor show that he didn't lift a finger, or failing that take you out to a favorite restaurant of yours in town. Next!

Wow, selfish!!... My mother was an awful cook and unapologetic about it. But my father always appreciated her efforts and would also take her out to dinner... Relationships are about give-and-take, not "I expect this."

You
never really know anyone until you see how
they
functionnunder pressure. Do they gut it out? Flee?, blame you? Work as a partner? Go solo?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:268728
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.