Agnostic.com

15 3

What do you remember about your first day of school?

First day of school I was six years old. All I remember is my mom handing me over to the teacher and turning to leave. I cried my heart out as she was disappearing out of sight.

Aralt 7 Feb 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It was a new school and the kindergarteners hadn't been specifically assigned to one of the two rooms. We stood in a line and had to count off one/two and I only knew one person and she was standing next to me so we couldn't be in the same class.

Gulch Level 3 Feb 22, 2018

I remember Kindergarten, being taught left and right, THe exact first day of first grade I remember the teacher telling all of us to look around and smile at each other. THere was one particular girl with bangs and and smooth short hair. SHe had a million freckles and a huge smile

I was late, went back home.

My first day of kindergartin: I realized I was not experienced in interacting playfully with other kids.
This made me feel left out and I spent most of the time with the teacher

first day at school I was four years old - it was a free school - as long as we were learning something it didnt matter what. It was our choice . - I remember it was round about christmas time as i was sent with a chocolate santa, for my break. There was a tryptych on the wall of cherubs floating around which had a lot of pastel colours and gold in it - we started the day by lining up and being asked general knowledge questions . We were all different ages and this all took place in two rooms, the teacher was a really tiny woman with lots of floaty black linen clothes and very long grey hair in a plait - She just sat at her desk being available if anyone got bored with what they were doing we could ask for some help or for an idea . There was a 'naughty desk' which I rather coveted it was all bamboo with a chair included in the design and it was facing away from everyoen else so you were in solitary. (all the desks were different ). When it got darker and colder early we had to help Miss Lindfield up onto a table in order to light the gas fire which was on the ceiling and htere were chains on the gas lamps to make them work - it was 1952

How short, boring and regimented it was..

Varn Level 8 Feb 21, 2018

I remember refusing to take a nap and crying when the teacher turned off the lights so I coluldnt read my book.

I don’t remember anything about that day. What I do remember is that they try to make you walk in lines, wake up too early, and prepare you for a live of servitude. Kill the thrill, break the human, prepare the slave. Too bad that we don’t get the education without all of the bullshit.

I don't remember at all

I don't remember my first day of school. I remember seeing a picture of my dad waiting for the school bus with me. But I remember my first day of high school because I tripped over my backpack in the cafeteria, then accidentally hit an upperclassmen in the face with a door. Good start.

I remember being sat next to a girl who wouldn't take her coat off. I said something like "Might as well make the best of it - we don't have any choice".

Couple of days later she was into that "you show me yours and I'll show you mine" thing.

Well, I showed her mine but never got to see hers.

Women!!!

Do you really want to know? I am hyperthymesic.
Had cornflakes for breakfast, my mother walked me to school, I can name the kids I met in order, one of them(Garry Ingliss) was with his older brother who had been in my mothers class at the same school. My mother came and collected me at lunch time as she had to go to her grandmothers funeral at 1-30. I sat next to the girl who became my first crush, man she was hot. We had "slates" seriously, pieces of slate in a wooden frame that we would learn to write on with stone styluses.
It was a Tuesday, January 28th. I best stop now, It is all rushing back.

I rode the bus to school as I'd been desperately begging my mother to do.I t seems she hadn't researched the bussing well enough. So it was all a big adventure until I wound up at the wrong school and no one knew who I was or how to contact my parents.

I was four years old, in Haiti and when my mom started my older brothers in the CA Calvert course I begged my mom to teach me also. So I was reading, and writing cursive stories at four, but safely at home, and mostly saw it as fun play.

I also home schooled my kids, since they started reading even earlier. Several weeks before she was three, my daughter bugged me to show her the phonic sounds of the alphabet, then started reading right away..during a TV commercial!

I didn't see a public school until I was nine, going into sixth grade in the US, when our family was on furlough. I was held back because of my age, so I got stacks of science fact cards from a box in the back to read during the teacher's boring, time-wasting stories of his trip to Mexico on his motorbike. He sure didn't know much, and all the school did was waste my time. I did discover what a library was, though, to my delight.

First Grade... private catholic school... that sister Lucina picked up a first grader in the other room by his legs and shaked him as a rag doll in the air. She was tall and skinny but she was ruthless. That is all I remember. Never forgot her name.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26947
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.