Agnostic.com

18 5

What were 1-3 of the most interesting part-time jobs you ever held in your life?

An example: One summer in 1998, when I was in my 50s, I got a job moving cars to temporary showcase location for a Lexington car dealership, for $20 an hour.
There were several young men there but I was the ONLY person present who could drive a stick shift, LOL!

So I got to drive all the cool high end sports cars across Lexington, and never had so much fun!

Another example: working as a movie extra on the Secretariat and Seabiscuit movies at Lexington Keeneland race track, and Churchill Downs, in Lousiville.

I got to work with movie stars and be privy to hilarious outtakes and behind the scenes incidents.

For instance, in the match race scene between Seabiscuit and War Admiral, I was playing a race spectator, seated a few rows behind Jeff Bridges and his movie wife, Elizabeth Banks.

When Jeff Bridges swooped down for a passionate kiss after Seabiscuit won the race, Jeff miscalculated, cutting both their mouths with his teeth.
There was blood everywhere, with assistants scrambling to clean them up and reshoot the scene.

But after that, both actors were afraid to kiss, cringing and wincing each time, in take after take. The director finally stopped after the best take, but I can still detect the actors flinching before the kiss in the actual movie.

birdingnut 8 Feb 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What a great read, thank you

EMC2 Level 8 Mar 6, 2018

Roughneck in Montana in the winter (Brrrr!)
UAT Lead at Microsoft Licensing in Reno NV
Driving a Taxi Cab in Austin TX

I don't work part time so these are all full time gigs

As an extra on Octopussy

Cool! Which scenes? Which countries?

@birdingnut In the UK at Nene valley railway. Was a roustabout. One scene I was on the train that supossedly ran head on into the merc and another, I ran between the camera car and the merc on two wheels being chased. not sure if I made into the final cut, only seen it once and was stoned. But I have, Couldn't care less syndrome, LOL

1. I spent a summer working on a summer camp in upstate New York, I'm from the UK so it was on a student exchange. I met Dr Who's granddaughter, went to the NY Giants training camp, saw Motley Crue & Whitesnake at Madison Sq Garden, was one of 13 that got into a Honda Civic to drive to the local bar and then drove coast to coast twice (Drivaway inc) Fabulous time 🙂
  2. I was also a stand in Santa for the stand in Santa at my daughters pre-school. All kids went 'wow' when I walked in, my daughter said 'That's my dad!?'
  3. I work for the local Electoral Office so am one of the polling station staff on election days, it's just really good fun to be involved in that kind of national day.

Wow..you've done some things in the US I've never done! And I'm American!

I really enjoyed reading everyone's posts, some were very funny. Thanks for asking the question.

I didn't really have part-time jobs that were super interesting like the others I read, but I did have a couple that made me love going to work. One was a nurses aide to very wealthy important people on a prestigious hospital floor that reminded me more of hotel suites. My favorite patient was Ted Williams. Another one was a telephone switchboard operator for the telephone company. The conversations that I got to listen in on (even though it was a no-no) were amazing and some actually x-rated. Then there was the job of greeter and seater for movie premiers. Loved that I was able to walk to his seat, my movie crush- at the time, Tab Hunter. It was the premiere of Cleopatra.

I guess my most interesting part time job was working for Batesville Caskets. I worked in the warehouse, putting caskets on the truck to go out every day, and receiving caskets once a week. When they interviewed me, they were concerned that I might not be able to handle the job... you know, caskets... but after a while I started singing Monster Mash, pretending to be Dracula shopping for a new "bed," and making other weird jokes. Then they worried that maybe I was responding too well to the job.

When I was in my teens, I worked on a turkey ranch as a turkey wrangler. It was hard dirty work but it's fun to tell people I used to be a Turkey Wrangler.

In the late 60's I worked transcribing inventory listings for use on punch cards, which was early computer hardware. Tedious job , I'm not the 'desk jockey' type, so left it after 3 weeks. The company was called Mid-Southern Toyota .
It wasn't till after I quit I found out it wasn't a Japanese toy company like I thought. Some of the items I transcribed sounded like auto parts but I figured it was Japanese translation of toy parts.
Yes it was the car company.

Modeling nude for art classes.

I was an " enforcer" when i waz younger, that was interesting to say the least and lucrative

I've worked in a skydive facility packing parachutes. (This financed my jumping habit)
I've managed an ice rink, I can drive a Zamboni. (I was playing hockey at the time)
I've worked at a Malibu style race track, but not a chain and they had really great cars

I do racing gigs on offshore sailing yachts. I don't get paid though. For example, I did the last running of the Newport-Bermuda race and delivered the boat to Miami afterward. I am doing the Chicago-Mac race for the second time this summer. I am still seeking a ride for Sidney-Hobart this Christmas. Despite not receiving cash for it, it is very rewarding and it is a lot of work besides being super interesting of course.

I drove an ice cream truck one summer. It's fun being the ice cream man.

I know. That tune was always a favorite.

gopher in a bakery
deckhand on a prawn trawler
animal tracking on restoration sites.

Every summer (going on 7 years) I am the head cook and food service manager for a boys summer camp in Maine. I plan all the meals, breakfast, lunch, supper, snacks, desert, What goes on the salad bar, bag lunches for canoe trips and mountain hikers. Sunday feasts, B-B-Q's. I cook or oversee 12-15 of the 21 meals per week. My trusty second cook, Mike oversees things when I am not there. It is the most rewarding and enjoyable as well as challenging job I have ever had in my life. My only regret is that it is only for 11 weeks a year.
We have kids and councilors from all over the world and I ask them all what is their favorite ethnic dishes and plan meals around that. Hungarian night was such a huge hit last year!

One summer I was the low man on a 4-man team running line for the new Interstate system. I remember standing on a hill outside a small town and listening as the boss and the transit man discussed which side of town to take and which side to leave.
Another job was my brother and me driving two over-size rock wagons 125 miles in middle-of-the-week traffic.
And my favorite, driving a van in a Bill Clinton motorcade.

Working security when I was in college - I have fun memories from that.
I think going back to back with a Viet Nam Vet (with terrible PTSD) through the basement of a cable making plant looking for a shooter - that's up there. So young and stupid. We weren't armed security.

Working as a Camp Counselor at an Equestrian Camp in Maine. If was rich kids who got put there for the entire Summer (or part of the Summer) while their parents were in exotic locations. We were an overnight camp. I had a cabin with 7 year olds - they are tons of fun. I remember when the horses would decide they wanted a break and headed down to the lake for drink. Nothing like a bunch of horses running past your cabin at 6 am! Yes we had to go get them.

I enjoyed working in Mental Health and the Mobile Team - but I can only tell vague stories from that. There was the time the other counselor I was with said to the Chief of the State Police "I didn't recognize you with your clothes on". Love to watch a guy that size go that red.

Almost always had fun at work.

You have great stories!

Thanks! I suppose it comes from living for over six decades, in many places, LOL!

@birdingnut Some people just aren't good story tellers. I'm the story teller for my family. My immediate family. (Bro and Sisters etc...). My 1st cousin who is 20 years old has way better stories because she remembers them happening!

Oh meaning You know how to tell a story! It's not just experience - it's the ability to let other's know what it was.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:27405
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.