Agnostic.com

80 14

Does unconditional love exist?

What do you think... is love ever completely unconditional? If so, do you think it's limited to certain kinds of relationships (I.e. parent-child)?

silvereyes 8 Feb 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

80 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes I think it exists, no I don't think it's just one kind of love,also I think it's very,very rare.

Yes. I have unconditional love for my children. I will always have their best interest at heart.
Will I always like them? Probably, but I can see where that could change. I have a great relationship with each of them and I hope and expect that will continue, but, again, that could change. None of that will, however, change my love for them.

I know parents who cannot deal with their children anymore. They cannot help and in some cases do not like them. But to talk with them, it is very clear, they do still love them.

I agree. Unconditional doesn't mean you're a doormat to be used, abused, and exploited. It just means you love them through it. Sometimes the best love is letting them clean up their own mess and give them the opportunity to learn from it.

I think dogs possess true unconditional love. I don't really know if humans are capable of it. Children have killed parents. Parents have killed children. Unconditional love doesn't do that.

Duke Level 8 Feb 26, 2018

Agreed. Only dogs to humans.

Humans can possibly be as capable of it as dogs, and dogs conditioned/abused in a certain way can have that trait suppressed.

Trying not to sound too crazy here, but I have a certain amount of that left, though had more of that years ago... but as a very young child, my development was more influenced by dogs than humans. I had mostly abusive parents, but there was a lot of neglect, especially before preschool. I remember my mother telling me to go out and do whatever the dog told me to do, and not come back until I was called or if it got dark (frequently). I remember one day being out in the woods and realizing that I didn't know my way home, so I got the dog to take me to where I could see the house over and over again until I thought I could find the house on my own. Then I realized that if my mother came looking for me, I wouldn't recognize if it was her or a stranger just saying they were my mom, so I got the dog to take me home again, and I tried to get in the house. He kept blocking me when I was trying to get too close to the house. Eventually I got past him and went inside, where my mother started screaming at me even before she turned around, and started jumping up and down as she turned. When she turned around, I could see that she was purple. She kept screaming about how I wasn't supposed to come back until dark unless I was called, and for me to get out of there. I left, and figured that now I'd recognize my mother, because she was the purple screaming woman.

All that I've gone through, I guess I'm lucky - or considering what kind of person I otherwise should have turned out to be, maybe the world is lucky - that my personality was formed mostly by dogs during critical development stages.

Unconditional love from dogs. I have some objections to that. Dogs are pack animals and will be loyal to the death to their Alfa, but that is an instinct. I know I will get the wrath of most of the readers here for this, but free all I prefer to give and receive sublime feelings from humans (that’s because I don’t feel the need to ask for unconditional nothing from my companion, I know we both have to work at it or it can die).

Only human I ever saw it in is a friend who has Down's Syndrome. Once she loves you, that is it. She will always love you. I see it in pets a lot. Small kids. Adults lose that unconditional thing. I hope that some folks still feel it forever

love is. it exists whether i appreciate it or not. i can appreciate the omnipresence of love only through my unconditionality: i walk down the street, open to the world, having no agenda, & love will make itself felt in a stranger's smile, the recognition by an aquaintance, an embrace with a friend. love is always, but only when i experience my reality unconditionally, will i realise it.

That's a great attitude. I wish life would let us all live in that happy place forever.

what, @kensmile4u? forever? please, not. ... & it took me more than half a lifetime to realise the potential of love.

@walklightly I'm glad you found it after half a lifetime. I found it when my first child was born after a third of a life time. But I also learned after half a lifetime that love ebbs and flows with the storms of chaos that pass through all our lives.

@kensmile4u, yes, so it does, always on the move, but never gone 🙂

Like this very much - thank you ! I was struggling to find the words to express this and you gave them to us- luvya!

luv ya straight back, @jacpod!

It depends on how one defines love I suppose. Can you love someone and yet disown them based on behavior? I'd say yes but hey, I'm either terribly optimistic or or incredibly capable of rationalizing cutting people out of my life.

I think unconditional love is an ideal to aim for and a practice that can be learned to some extent, for one's own benefit as well as for the beloved. I believe it is a philosophical goal, more than a feeling.

skado Level 9 Feb 26, 2018

but even as a philosophical goal, it feels good 🙂

You've said you think it is more of a philosophical goal, than a feeling. However, love is a feeling, isn't it? Conditional or unconditional?

I think what you've said is applicable to relationships other than the parent-child relationship. We may start by loving, but have to learn or grow toward the unconditional.

I think that the parent-child dynamic is different. It comes more naturally, maybe even innate, to a certain extent. There are of course parents that don't have this type of love, but I think that is an exception, maybe a dysfunction of sorts.

@walklightly It sure could.

@BeeHappy I suppose all of the feeling types of love are mostly innate, but to say that the only thing people have ever been talking about when they use the word love is just some kind of feeling or other is missing a big part of the picture I think. The “higher” manifestation of love is to do what is fair or right toward a person regardless of how you feel. In that sense, love is an act, not a feeling. Love is a philosophical commitment. Does that make sense? I’m pretty sure I’m not the first person to think this way.

I don’t think unconditional love means indestructible love; I think it means that your love isn’t conditional on the person’s behavior OR what your relationship to the person is.

@skado very well put. a fixed relationship need not come into the equation of acting out of & feeling the love at all.

@walklightly Yes, I agree. The only thing I might add is... even though the feeling is very likely to be there, it isn't even required, to meet the definition of love in this sense. The philosophical ideal would say that you should do the right thing no matter how you felt about the person and no matter how doing the right thing made you feel. You could despise the person, and being kind to them could make make you nauseous, but it would still be love if you did what was best for the person.

There are many different kinds of love (for a child, lover, parent, friend, society) and, correct me if I'm wrong (it wouldn't surprise me, it happens, 🙂 ), it sounds like you are lumping them together.

The "higher" manifestation of love, I believe, grows from innate love. Over the course of any of the above relationships, the love (feelings) can change or grow, that will then influence how you act. So, I still believe love is a feeling, but it can and does influence our actions to and for that individual.

I'm not grasping that love is a philosophical commitment, but I am more of a feeling person than a thinking person, and maybe that is why?

I agree that unconditional love doesn't means indestructible love.

not sure i'm ok with that, @skado. where does that leave the love for self, also known as philautia, if actively loving a person i despise makes me feel nauseous? i understand that the universe is within me, so a despicable person is part of me too. but it doesn't mean that i have to overextend myself towards that person in order to proof the existence of unconditional love. that proof would be in the acceptance of the moment & taking a deep breath.

@BeeHappy “I'm not grasping that love is a philosophical commitment, but I am more of a feeling person than a thinking person, and maybe that is why?”

Maybe so. I don’t think there’s just one right answer. It means different things to different people, and that’s as it should be I suppose.

I think a relationship might grow close to that, eventually, never early on. "Conditions" exist, that's a given.

The person has a mental image, even if unconscious, of their ideal mate, and projects that onto the person they're focused on.

One approaches "Unconditional" love after they realize the other isn't, and never will reach that perfect image, and it ceases to matter, having grown to love them as they are.

I am speaking of romantic love of course, (parental love, friendly love are very, very separate entities)

That's all too simplistic, perhaps, but I feel this is the base/truth...

@walklightly I don’t think we have any obligation to prove the existence of unconditional love, or any obligation to perform it. It just seems to me that a definition of “unconditional” is that the giving of the love is not dependent on any conditions. If we withhold love because the person or the circumstances don’t meet our required conditions, then that love was clearly conditional, right?

@skado, ok, i already had an inkling that you might snag on the word 'proof'. what i am trying to get at is that actively loving someone who i despise, if that entails extending myself to the point of exhaustion or nausea, is not unconditional love anymore, the condition being that i love myself less in order to be able to love the other. i realise here that for me unconditional love will always be a kind of balancing act. so, let's say, i am at peace with myself, where unconditional love is effortless. then a despicable person enters my universe. my love remains the same, unconditional in its being. what i am actively capable of doing in the name of this unconditional love depends on my human strength, not on any judgment.

@njoy_life_2 That sounds like a very reasonable and useful interpretation. A very valid perspective.

@walklightly I’ll have to think about it a minute...

@walklightly Of course we’re all free to see it however we see it, but for the sake of discussion…. It seems to me that the phrase unconditional love is referring to a kind of love based on principle rather than on feeling. That you give what is needed rather than what feels good to give. Love based on altruism rather than on affection. The basic working definition of altruism is to give up something of value to yourself, for the benefit of another. So to me, unconditional love carries a connotation of sacrifice. Personal loss for the betterment of another. You give, at expense to yourself, out of principle, not out of a desire to reward a person for gratifying your affection. The definition of the phrase has conditions; the act itself doesn’t. The conditions don’t have anything to do with yourself. That refers to conditions the recipient must meet (or not) before the love is given.

None of my favorite dictionaries back me up on this. They all give definitions based on affection. So this probably comes ultimately from past religious training, and/or cultural influence, but in any case, such behavior does exist, so if not unconditional love, what should we call it?

@skado, despite finding it increasingly difficult to word my sentiment in my second language... i really am hooked!

unconditional love to me only works if i do not deprive my self in acting it out into the world. i perceive the universe being within, or rather the self being all i have in the perception of my senses, my experience of the world. so there is no 'other'. love exists, whether i acknowledge, like or repress it. so the best i can do is make the most of it, which is a free-form of love, no expectations, no demands, no conditions.

so, no altruism by the book for me. by the book i might pick two of the six types of love according to ancient greek philosophy: there is philia, translated as friendship or comradeship (a bit weak perhaps?), & then there is pragma, meaning a mature, deep love. both don't fully satisfy me here, so i'll stick with free-form love, bound to nothing.

@walklightly Thanks for sharing your worldview. I’m glad that’s working for you, and I’m glad we are free to see things differently.

absolutely, @skado! diversity makes life more interesting. thank you too.

Sadly not preconceived notions are a good way to test someone's unconditional love... E.g my parents and my "apostacy"... I already have a terrible relationship with my step mother, my father is great but he would flip if I told him about my disbelief in Islam. I know subjective experience is a terrible judge of facts but I have serious doubts about unconditional love.

couldn't the fact that your father "would flip" be an indication of his unconditional love for you? if he wouldn't care for you, he might not even shrug his shoulders. people have to fight terrible emotional battles when their love is challenged - but that doesn't make the love less unconditional or real.

@walklightly however what he does after could disavow his unconditional love

@MuhammadSaleh98, i'm sorry, talking big just to keep optimistic, when as a matter of fact i can't even comprehend to have been born into a religious, let alone muslim family. respect to you!

@walklightly it's quite alright I welcome ideas and thoughts that might differ from my own

...love?...unconditional Love is about who you are, not the other person...Love is sometimes best done from a distance... 🙂 <3 ...

Too right. That person you loved so much but realised they were poison so you juggle the emotions in your brain and move them to that category usually reserved for the wayward child. You love them and it is unconditional, but out of pure self preservation you no longer give them power over you. Very hard trick, so much easier to hate.

Dogs are the only creatures I've known that exhibit unconditional love.

That behavior is similar to kids that won’t turn in an abusive parent, maybe better to stay with the devil you know than risk it.

My unconditional love for my children is definitely a detriment to my health, but that hasn't stopped that love.

I think so. I will do anything for my cat Dexter

Yes. It really does

Unconditional love is for children.

Talking about the romantic type, I don't know, probably based on what I've seen, but I want no part in it. Love me because I deserve love and treat you well.

JeffB Level 6 Feb 26, 2018

Yeah between a dog and his owner.

Yes, it does exist. It may come along once in a lifetime. It may come along more often. It may not ever come into your life. I do know you stand a good chance of experiencing it from others when you feel it for yourself.

yes, & that's the whole secret: it is always there; only when i open up to its reality - realise its unconditionality - will i experience it.

love is unconditional, be it love of a partner, child or parent, though lets be real , sometimes love fades,

Yeah, I think it exists...parent-child for the most part....otherwise, I think they call it 'stalking'..."what's that in that boiling pot over there?"...

I can't say that stalking is an indicator of love. That's more like an indication of selfishness. Selfish "love" is when someone wants someone else solely for what the other can do for them - how the other makes them feel, look, etc. They want to possess. Love is wanting what is best for the other person, even if it comes at a painful cost to the individual.

No, but that's okay. We are capable of having healthy relationships, based on honesty and the awareness that our bonds are based on biological as well as socialization factors, and that's a whole lot better.

I am tempted to say that most of the problem with relationships is the lack of openness and honesty, coupled with unrealistic beliefs in "unconditional love" or the myth of the "soul mate." Some times people fall out of love and are capable of having healthy relationships with their ex, but that too is not an ideal to be sought.

I believe unconditional love is limited to parent/child, therapist/client, teacher/student, and any other relationship where that one sided love is healthy and necessary.
Romantic attraction between two people (notice I leave the word “Love” out) cannot be unconditional; there needs to be a mutual give and take, and not because of needing by the recipient, but because of wanting by the giver. I would go even as far as to say that anyone wanting to receive unconditional “Love” in a romantic relationship is being selfish or way too needy, and therefore not healthy.

Sure it does. But sometimes people get upset when someone they love unconditionally doesn't love them back . Learning how to deal with that disappointment is one of the secrets to finding happiness.

All love is conditional. I have never just seen someone and loved them. Something has to pique an interest. I do generally love everyone. Give me a reason not to though and things will change rapidly. If I were to think of my ex, I loved her because she seemed to have a kind heart and was very sweet (easy to love), until I discovered that she was a raging alcoholic that revealed her anger issues when drinking.

Again, love is conditional. Love is unconditional only if you are unable to think rationally.

If only to disprove absolutes, if living is a condition, then no. (man, that is a horrible sentence. I'm leaving it here to chastise myself.)
Love in itself is a sort of absolute though. So if it is not unconditional, then would it not be reduced to something lesser? Affection? Doting? Esteem?

Yes, absolutely. I've been privileged enough to see it many, many times. It's hard to find but sometime you can just see it in a couple's eyes. That soft unwavering stare that moves furtively between two people when they think no one is looking. Hard to find, but well worth pursuing.

Absolutely. I approach every relationship I get into like that. If I start dating someone, theres absolutely nothing they have to do to keep me. I choose to love them for exactly whoever they are or become. The only time I cut things off is if there's cheating or if it's been months and months of a really toxic unhappy situation and there's no hope of fixing things. Which is exactly how every one of my relationships has ended so... maybe don't take my advice lol.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:29587
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.