Agnostic.com

37 1

Scientific society is starting to believe there is only 50-50 chance of this world to be real. What do you think of this world to be a simulation.

Brownape 4 Feb 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

37 comments (26 - 37)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

First of all, where did you come up with that figure? Nothing I have read on this topic suggests anything like those percentages.

Secondly: define "real".

What a great video game for some alien form of life.

I get it that video games are becoming more and more realistic. Some of the graphics and some of the gameplay would have you believing you're somewhere almost real. But play a video game, and you'll soon find inconsistencies: the trees you mowed down in your car reappearing a few minutes later; the dents and scratches you put in the bodywork exactly the same as the last time you scraped it; the items you threw in a drawer now neatly arranged.

Real life has a 'memory' of infinite detail. There's an infinite randomness in the way that a tree grows, a fish swims or an explosion destroys. You bought a toaster, just like every other toaster of the same make and model, but yours has a scratch on the bottom. All things that I can't honestly imagine a programmer going to the trouble of creating, especially if we weren't tuned to expect it.

It is what it is and there is nothing I can do about it.

50-50 means they are too short on cohones to commit. Earth is flat. Man made climate change is real. Yadda yadda yadda.

Astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson claims this, Elon Musk says that the chance is "one in billions" that we inhabit the one true world.
However, researchers at Oxford and Hebrew University now claim the universe is far too complex to simulate, because of thermal Hall conductance, or gravitational anomaly.

The quantities involved in the simulation would acquire a negative sign, with an infinite number of possibilities, so a simulation can't possibly consider them all. Furthermore, simulating just a few hundred electrons would require a computer with a memory made of more atoms than are in the universe.

[newatlas.com]

I think it's bullshit. Of course this world is real. We're here. I just picked up dog shit out in the yard. That was real, too.
If this world isn't real, the plug would have been pulled a long damned time ago.

Boils down to whether our universe is analog or digital. If digital, then yes, could be a simulation. If analog, can't be. The jury is still out. [theness.com]

It could be. I hope it is.

IMO, the odds are the same as for a god. It's possible but highly unlikely.

Humans and Chimpanzees share 98.5% DNA . I am pretty skeptical how this 1.5% could bring such drastic change in human and not in our cousin's eventhough the chimps lie, jerk off , moan at death and many more human traits .

@SKDeitch still you didn't explain how such drastic change occured with this 1.5% difference.

@SKDeitch I meant "drastic" in a progressive sense.

What does it matter? If the experience is real to you then what difference does it make? If we can learn to hack reality that would have some wonderful and terrible possibilities.

You could make a decent sci-fi story out of that... witches, shamans and the like at random discover certain chanted vocalisations which, although they sound like gobbledegook to the inhabitants of the world, are actually commands in the programming language the simulation is written in and thus allows them to perform "magic" by hacking their reality.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:30263
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.