Agnostic.com

55 19

Professionals near me advertise their religious beliefs. To what extent would you find this annoying?

Dentist websites in Oklahoma...

They like to include in their bio about their religious beliefs. The missions they go on. Some even have prior degrees in theology... or went to Christian Universities. They wear it like a badge of honor.

I just want to know they have proper and extensive dental training! But, so many of them do it. Even my vet has crosses on their walls.

Would this irritate you? Or, would you shrug it off?

silvereyes 8 Mar 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

55 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I take a different route: Once they go religion on me, I just say that
*"Your Religion is yours, Mine beliefs are mines, and my beliefs are not yours: Thus My beliefs are Not Subject to Debate".
Then I walk away.

I try to be respectful of the beliefs of others. That said, I do not willingly patronize businesses with obvious religious ties - be it their own belief, or to support a religious organization.

Rustee Level 7 June 26, 2018

About 3 minutes worth

This makes me grind my teeth. I may not patronize that business just because I feel they are pushing their religion at me. I don’t even like bumper stickers on cars and the ‘Jesus is the answer’ signs in people’s yards.

Extremely. It's like they're falling back on that to compensate for lack of ability. It also makes me think it is a "trust shield" to keep you from suspecting any crookedness.

Mississippi just sent a new representative to the senate - Cyndy Hyde Smith. Her words were that she was going to bring her faith to the senate to guide her. This is exactly the type of bias people that never should be allowed to work in our government. But the fact is that most of the people in the senate and house are completely religious and are using their religious fantasies as guides to govern instead of science, logic and reasoning. It is the 21st century - why are still being forced to follow the fantasy based beliefs of ancient, ignorant people that didn't even know where the sun went at night? Why why why?

At times religion is just stated for sales sake, and at times you're in the kind of office that it doesn't effect or affect, the crosses are just the window dressing they should be. I forget what the percentage of America's pop is Christian is anymore, but I remember it being in the high 60s. Marketing to the mass makes sense. So I have a hard time being upset about it. But there are specific times when it upsets me.

I get a little irritated particularl in medical offices.  Would this be a place, for example, that would let my wife or daughter die in an egtopic pregnancy rather than remove the fetus that was slowly killing it's mother and itself.  Will my psychologist recommend prayer over medication?  Will their woo get in the way of proven cures?  Or give me useless ones?  That is where it all makes me sicker.

I work for a Christian charity. Other than a few meetings opening with a prayer and a few people thanking Jesus for whatever it's just kind of in the background. As an athiest, no one has ever made me feel particularly uncomfortable, but it's not like I'm out of the woo closet. It sucks not being able to be honest with people out of fear of losing my job, particularly when one of my crew will be leaving for the seminary in a few months (worst worker on the crew, BTW). But if it should ever come to the point where I see the faith of those who run the place get in the way of running it well and (for want of a better word) faithfully to the cause, I know it'll be time to go. I'm not exactly there for the pay, I just wanted to work for a charity.

I take it as a warning.

@silvereyes One more reason i don't live there..

Definitely. Especially if they're talking about their religion instead of their actual skills in advertisements.

It’s awful and UNPROFESSIONAL but it is cultural. Ask them which tenant of science they DON’T practice in.

A someone who lives in it its insanely annoying. In addition to all the yknow, other horrible stuff involved with people proselytizing at work etc. You have to think about the environment the workers are in. And the hiring process. Churches breed nepotism. It's easy to imagine that the people there could be less qualified than others, but were simply hired because of their church connection, as is often the case where I live.

It happens here, too, and not just medical and dental offices. It irks me, and I invariably find myself patronizing other places.

@silvereyes You said a mouthful, there.

It annoys the tar out of me, as does putting Christian music on the radio. I have had restaurants do that in my hometown, as well as printing out and taping those awful, bible-thumpy, facebook posts to the front counter. We even have a car wash whose exterior message board is always a bible quote. Businesses that pander to any faith in particular lose my business.

My bank plays Christian music and has "Faux News" playing on a big screen.If the service there wasn't fantastic, I would likely take my money elsewhere.

It irritates me to all the extents... All of them. But I try and respect other people and their views unless it interferes with my actual life.

It puts me off. I will take my business to someone who does what their book says and keeps that behind closed doors. I don't display anything in my place of business that would offend anyone. Although I have been tempted to put up an occasional anti-tRump meme.

Irritates the shit out of me. I don't think I'd go to any dentist, medical doctor, etc. if they advertised like that, unless there are none that don't advertise.

@silvereyes I have a tendency to judge those that do as inferior, ie. they rest on their religious beliefs in order to get business. I may be wrong.

It's even weirder than I thought it could be. Do you think all the fracquakes are releasing some sort of crazy gas or what? Looking on the bright side, they aren't zombies yet. Hang in there!

jeffy Level 7 Mar 1, 2018

@silvereyes No Mr. Bill, not zombies

I would drive 50 or more miles out of my way to avoid ANY business that openly proselytizes in literature, outside signage, etc.

Just just about any extent.

Its annoying-Would ignore.

would the religious find it annoying if i'd have sex in public? ... just because i KNOW of the healing powers of sex?

true, @silvereyes, & what i'm getting at with my seemingly raw example is that they do exactly that: flaunting their fuckin values under everyone's nose .... & im NOT allowed?! everyone please keep their privates in their privacy 😀

Makes it easier to know who to avoid.

i can not imagine to be able to keep living in an area where religious hokuspokus is so blatantly in my face on a daily basis. i'd move to sweeter climes.

I see it as blatant pandering. They know what most of the population around them believes so that's who they target their ads to.
It doesn't matter what they believe, it's what they can pass themselves off as.

There are a million and one things to get irritated about in life, this should not be one of them. Just satisfy yourself in knowing how hypocritical they are by capitalising on their "faith."

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:30893
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.