Agnostic.com

16 5

Does chocolate upset your stomach?

Today I stopped at Dilly Deli (love that name) for two, warm Ultimate Chocolate Chip cookies. I rarely do that. Devoured them while driving. Yum.

Immediately got an upset stomach.

"I have bad news for you," my doctor said years ago. "You need to stop eating chocolate. Cocoa relaxes the lower esophageal sphincter, causing acid reflux."

My heart sank. I love dark chocolate. Pass the Tums.

[healthline.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Mar 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Nope - my whole body loves it !

Nope. I love dark chocolate too. One night a friend made to cakes for a birthday celebration. One was coconut and one dark chocolate. If you put a bite of each together, it tasted like the Tiffany's of a Mounds Bar. It was awesome!

Thankfully no. But citrus foods and alcohol can and/or does.

I take a pill that allows me to eat all this stuff, I choose not to with the exception of Chocolate and an occasional beer or Scotch.

Doesn't bother me any. If I had a big bar of dark chocolate I would most likely eat the whole bar. The strange thing is that my doctors have me on a med that they say helps you with acid reflux and I do not have acid reflux. It's plain old Ranitidine and this must be a "doctor thing." Do I get indigestion and take this stuff. Yes, but it does not happen often. I eat or drink all of the stuff shown in that picture. I can also eat hot peppers and hot chili with no bad effects.

Dairy does sometimes.

85% sure I'm lactose intolerant, but I don't want to find out for sure.

Only when I can't get enough.

I remember eating an entire giant bag of peanut M&M's at Star Trek III in 1984. I was fine for an hour or so after arriving home. Then, not so much, lol. I've never eaten that much chocolate at once ever again.

Do you have your gall bladder?

@AmmaRE007

Yes, I have a gallbladder. Why do you ask?

Looks like my usual diet.

@jerry99

What looks like your usual diet?

@LiterateHiker The picture of foods causing heartburn. 🙂
OTOH They're not helping with my weight problem.

Drink 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar

I must have a cast iron stomach. I never have heartburn.

@Wordywalt

Lucky you!

I used to suffer from heartburn, I found eating a pear was good cure, acts quick and lasts for days. If I eat a conference pear once a week I don't get heartburn at all. 🙂

Wow. How were you able to see your doctor so quickly?

1of5 Level 8 Mar 25, 2019

@1of5

My doctor told me that years ago.

Mmmmmm dark chocolate!

My sentiments - exactly.

I used to get heartburn now & then, but never from chocolate.

I’m a huge dark chocolate fan. 72% cacoa is where I like it.

@indirect

My sweet spot is 46% high quality, dark chocolate. From Australia, Karen brought me a big bar of exquisite dark chocolate.

Stuck it in the cupboard and forgot about it. Delightful discovery.

@LiterateHiker,
i don't think anything below 50% is considered high quality dark chocolate. when i occasionally pick up a bar it's 87% cacao. i've had 95%, which must be the limit.

@callmedubious

Why are you so argumentative? To each his own.

@indirect76 i enjoyed reading this, and i thought your arbitrary self superiority was totally in-line, since i also enjoy darker chocolates.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:318015
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.