Agnostic.com

58 14

How many of you have been told you are going to hell?

I would say I am a friendly atheist, not militant like some prefer to be. Yet, when asked about my religious preference I answer honestly. I am often told I am going to hell and many other bigoted things. Why do people with religion think that this behavior is okay? Am I the only one receiving this level of hatred? Why are we allowed to discriminate against atheists but not religions?

• 67 votes
  • 28 votes
  • 0 votes
Dimples1114 4 Apr 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

58 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have most definitely been told that I am going to hell. Ironically, though, I got told that more when I was a Catholic than as an agnostic/atheist. Protestants told me that I was going to hell because I was a Catholic. Other Catholics told me that I was going to hell because I was not sufficiently Catholic. I am not particularly worried as hell is not real.

i have been told i am going to hell... for being jewish. for being an atheist i am just told i can't possibly be a good person because my good behavior is my own idea and not in obedience to a god (that sounds backwards to me) and that atheism is a religion.

g

Certainly I've been told I'm going to hell. It was used as a threat whether you were a believer or not. Once you slip away from the Evangelicals you are branded with 40's and 50's atheistic beliefs. Hell just doesn't seem too real to me. I am no more instantly in hell than I am instantly in heaven.

I think that most people who want to tell me that, know me well enough that I will explain to them how stupid they sound, so they don't bother.

I’ve never been told that.

I am fortunate to live in a region of very low church attendance, largely very secular. If asked my religious preference(rare), my typical response, "I'm a stranger here myself", or "I'm a nothing".

I can't remember if I have or not. It's something I don't keep track of or care about.

I had (very) close relatives that told me I was going to hell, before I ever became an agnostic...when I questioned the real Jesus and other ideas. Actually, I was always questioning...which lost me friends and family. Once (but not the only time she told that I was going to hell.) my oldest granddaughter and her self-appointed preacher husband attempted to verbally attack me (and save my soul at the same time) over a story that I told my g-granddaughter! That...Jesus if he existed, inspired people, and did not perform miracles like reported in the Bible! It was a terrible sight and I hope one day the memory of what they put me through, comes clear (as it should) about how their actions were so hurtful.

I have been told that. I suspect I was also pushed out of a job due to my agnosticism.

You'd have to define "discriminated against". I've met women who would not accept an invitation to go out because I was atheist, but as far as I know I've not suffered any other ramifications.

I was told twice Friday last - 'speak of the Devil'. my response was 'At your service.' 😎 so where the hell should I be?

It’s been awhile 😉 Anymore, it appears I’m leaving them convinced there ‘isn’t one’ 🙂 Militant, when such militancy wasn’t cool - ‘we’ve had our moments!’

Varn Level 8 Apr 13, 2019

You mean we're not there now with the orange devil vampire??

I believe the current pope said that there is no hell anymore so those people are way out of date.

Good question!

I just laugh and tell them that that's where all the fun people go...

There was a fight in my family after a family friend died. She was a Presbyterian or something, and no one could agree if she was going to heaven or hell just because of that. I don't even mention that I don't believe to most of them.

But yeah, I've heard it to. Usually the same shit.

Often, when the Bible-Thumping Faithfools tell that I'll be going to Hell I respond with a simple " That's okay, I'll see you when you get there then ,won't I?"
Boy, the look that crosses their faces is priceless to say the least.

I often reply to the 'You're going to Hell' remark by saying, "I forgive you."

The shocked looks I often get... LOL 😀!

I can't recall ever being told that I'm going to hell directly, but it's been said about others in my presence. I mentioned to my Mom once about a friend of mine who constantly posts nothing but memes about being Atheist on Facebook. Not that I care that he's Atheist, it just gets annoying when that's all I see from him. Anyway, she said something along the lines of, "I feel so sorry for people like that because they're going to hell." She doesn't know that I'm Agnostic and it really struck a nerve.

I've always held the mentality that it's not my place to decide what others should do with their lives. It shouldn't matter, especially when it's not effecting me personally. Same as the lady who told me that I need Jesus to be happy. Just mind your own business.

Remind them that according to their own bible, only 144,000 go to heaven. All the other billions go to hell.

Tell your accuser that according to their own bible, they are also more than 99% certain to go to hell with you.

I was told the devil was making me think I was an Atheist, on a long haul flight. This former catholic, now christian claimed I was possessed! Religious bigotry was one of my reasons for being Atheist, but intolerance of Christians to others, was a bigger reason.
I tried to get him detained for religious hatred but the chief steward was too dubious to organise a police meeting party for him, his wife and children!

Regularly. Lol

I have been told directly by some I will go to hell, while most are more subtle with a "Good luck to you on judgment day." which is a threat that I am going to hell. I usually reply with "If Odin is the real god, you will be right there with me for worshiping the wrong god.".

I've been given a free ticket for my non belief in the spiritual world that I'm going way down under into the fiery depths of hell . Where ever that might be

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:330381
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.