Agnostic.com

17 6

There seems like a lot of wonder about meeting people. I had hoped that I would find local friends, for mere interaction, and connection, and yet I don't know if that happens. It seems that for all in my area, nobody really tries. How would you ever be able to connect with someone at a distance?

Tony80223 7 Mar 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Same here--no one from this area seems to respond

Tony80223, I counted 20 people in your Nearby category. Have you made contact yet? Just wondering. I am not here for dating but have made lots of contact just by sending emails to people who strike my fancy. I love funny, erudite writers and/or people with interesting point of views. Strangely enough, many of them live in Australia. Wishing you luck in your search.

how do you find out who is near you?

I’ve reached out to a few of my locals. It seems like I’ve only had one person who connected with me and she is a bit far but so far.......

@Karenl Click on Meet, then choose the parameters, including distance from you.

thanks

It's always a crap shoot, I think messaging someone you find interesting is a good start. If they respond your off to the races. LOL

For distance meetings I have suggested virtual road trips, picnics and cinema visits. See "Passions"

To dream the impossible dream does not destroy hope.

I think that you will need time, especially if you want to meet agnostic type people. They are the minority, the real minority! More and more people are showing up in my area, but I am moving. So there you go! When I get back to New Mexico, I hope to find some agnostics there. I have made some friends back in NM, but they are not agnostics, but neither are they real religious, compared to this area.

I did recently-spenttime with a fellow site member. Locally no. Still up for meeting others. Will relocate if Imeet right guy.

I am about to experiement with their groups feature and see if I can build a group in my area of people interested in just "doing stuff." Singles, couples, no matter. But would be nice to have a local social group of people smart enough to have discarded the big lie.

Since I just moved from Texas to northern New Jersey, we are completely starting over. So, hopefully I can turn this place into a tool to help out.

I would be very interested to know how this works out or doesn't, Scott.

So, I just created the group. Pretty interesting options for making it local or regional.

"NYC and Northern New Jersey Social Group" Group

Anyone in NYC or Northern NJ or otherwise close enough to that area that you would entertain coming to social events, you are invited (begged) to join.

Now, do I spam all the member who are geographically close to me to make sure they see this?

I am unsure the etiquette here. Perhaps everyone within the range of the defined area will get a notice of a new group in their area. That would be cool. But I have no idea.

Best of luck!

Groups are as good as their most active members. If you get even a few people who participate they are a lot of fun.

From personal experience, it usually goes something like this:

1. If you message someone, and they respond, you start a conversation. These conversations either: a) Grow, and branch out (you have to be patient, this has a lot of "lateral movement" ) or b) Wither, and vanish (it happens, so be prepared).
  2. At some point, you typically wind up talking on the phone. I can't say why there is so much resisitance to real-time communication, but I guess people feel safer in chat. Usually, a lot more ground gets covered here, because the information exchange density is higher. My advice at this point, is-if there's something that is potentially a negative (your weight, the lines on your face, the fact that you're older than Moses, whatever) this is the time to be open with it. Just texting is too far removed from the everythingness of reality, and such things won't really "take" if mentioned so soon. People don't self-edit so much in real time.
  3. So, if things go well in a certain way (and they won't most of the time, and that is simply life, my friend) you may decide to meet in real life. And, as paradoxical as it sounds, that is just the beginning. Because now you're actually interacting like humans. On the plus side, meeting someone in person has a much higher chance of turning into "something"-a friendship, an affair, a journey. But, not to be a kill-joy, it's only say 10-25% instead of 1% (the online world is brutal, in its own way).

Personally, I wish the odds were better. On the other hand, it's certainly possible to text maybe hundreds of people in a week, and can you imagine the confusion if EVERY SINGLE ONE was a "hit"? Our brains are only capable of maintaining a certain amount of active connections at a time (perhaps as few as 100 "casual" connections, and probably only 10-20 "strong" connections).

Another thing is, people are full of fear. We SAY we aren't, but let's be honest-we are vulnerable creatures, and being hurt sucks. And we protect ourselves, even at the cost of missing some things which might be GREAT. And you cannot control what other people do, so the best strategy I can offer is: master your own fear. Be who you are, and if the world does not respond, hey, it's not your fault.

@MrLizard Stalking over 20000klms doesn't sound fascinating. Bad enough when they start to do it here. That's why the block button is useful. Of course I've also encountered stalking accusers who do so because you vehemently disagree with something that they say.

You've been through it, obviously. Very good analysis.

You explained that pretty well. I think a benefit to trying to find someone on this site is the greater level of honesty found here. I could be wrong but I think thinking, reasoning individuals posting here are more honest than other 'dating' sites. Besides this site offers alot besides just trying to hook up. IMO

For phone phobics - you can ask for someone's number, then call THEM. Dial *67 first, and your number will not show up in their caller ID. However, if their phone's settings have "unknown callers blocked" - you won't be able to get through ... what a conundrum !

Strangely I feel more connected to people at a distance, in writing, there is such a fondness in me for what people write, I feel all humble,, humanity is here - when my mother and father's sister were of an age they wrote letters to each other and my mother who was manic was very tender in her writing and they had a sweet relationship, later my cousin was in her dying process and she and I wrote tenderly and there is soemthing about the slowness of the process of writing that engages my brain - I don't just fire off - I think about what I am saying.I also don't write unless I am in a good place .

There is also the beauty of a well formed letter using a fountain pen.

I've just joined this week and am already arranging to meet someone for coffee and a chat next week when I go away. I guess it depends on your personality type and ability to travel?

That's great! However it turns out, I hope you have fun!

I actually live in a little village, but will be travelling over 100 miles to a city and whilst I'm there..will be an adventure to meet someone new from the site.

I remember meeting with one of my mail order customers many years ago. She had flown in from Arizona to St. Louis to meet me. There was a science fiction convention going on that weekend.

She and I had corresponded a lot, and there were lots of hints on her part about something serious coning from the meeting.

Back then, I weighted over 100 pounds more than I do now. I told her I was overweight, but apparently she overlooked that.

We spotted each other from a distance. I could see her mouth the words "Oh...my...god..." Yeah, I made a good impression.

"Just so you know, I have a boyfriend back home" was one of the few things she said to me that weekend.

If someone local wants to meet me, I'm fine with that. I don't expect anything of it.

If it's a long distance meeting, there is a simple formula: the amount of disappointment increases exponentially as the miles in distance increase.

remember we are the few amongst many. we are conecting on here which is a good start.

I'm in the UK. Not many neighbours on here but I don't have a problem with it. Just start chatting.

Am I a neighbour - from England living in Northern Irealnd.

At least you are in an actual city, lol. I live in a town of 10k people.

@Keyboard-Mama I'm in a boonie town North of Northern Ireland Ballycastle.

Do the traffic lights change colour every third vehicle? It saves on TV transmitters. 🙂

@Keyboard-Mama whoah ! very close to me about 12 miles off !(its a small country)

Start by talking, I have yet to find any friends on here myself, but that just takes time

Maybe try to get a group together to do an activity?

You certainly can PM people to suggest it and see if there is any interest.

Good luck!

I would rather see get-togethers form in the open forum. I believe there would be more of a likelihood for more people to see it and be willing to get their toes wet. It's scary for many people to "go" -- especially the first time. Often when people see that other people are going and are enthused, it gives them more drive or gumption to do the same.

I used to be an organizer for a Meetup group. You could take the same two events -- all logistics being very similar. The more people that jumped in and signed up, the more people that followed suit. If two or three people did not make that first move, nobody else would either. Humans are weird. 🙂

Sometimes groups take on a life of their own.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:33144
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.