Agnostic.com

59 3

What do you do for a living?

Do you like what you do? If you could do anything, and time and/or money were not an issue, what would it be?

bleurowz 8 Mar 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

59 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am a claims examiner for Short Term Disability. The fun part is when I say I work STD claims I get funny looks. So I deal with people who have had a close encounter with the medical profession and now I get to tell them whether or not they can get 60% or so of their basic weekly income. I have a guy on disability now how had a chain saw kick back and he took a good gash out of his foot. I've had a few claimants pass on. The worst part of the job is writing denial letters, although sometimes I get some satisfaction out of it. Sometimes it is talking to the claimants, people can be so rude. I told a woman this week if she continued to talk over me I'd hang up. I'm responsible for about 100 active claims, so we're busy! I don't touch every claim every day, but some days my phone does not stop ringing.

I'm an Etsy seller. I love it but would like to become a wholesale distributor for Halloween decor.

Yes, I like what I do at the moment; teaching English as a Second Language.
Travel the world doing bird photography, writing books.
I'm actually doing that right now.

I deliver auto parts for a large national company. That means mostly I drive, but I do meet the public at every stop and sometimes in the store. I love driving and I love ths job. Maybe it's because years ago I did in home appliance repair which also had a lot of driving and meeting of the public.

Drive around listening to my favorite music.

Ever read Time Enough For Love by Robert Heinlein? He makes a point ...if one knew that they were to live for a couple hundred years one could do several 30 year careers in different fields. I'm now a janitor but was a teacher of woodshop, machine shop, welding, small engine repair, drafting, CAD, computer animation, computer game design, electronics, robotics and American and world history as well as ceramic pottery and sculpture. If I knew I had enough time for another career I'd go become a surgeon.

Just to be different, I work for a not for profit organisation. 2 days per week
Time and money are not issues, so I guess it is what I wodl be doing regardless, though if I had the quals I would like to be in some sort of biological research.
What I do???? Gardening and teach it to pre-schools, tutor high school kids who are struggling, teach basic and not so basic computing, play storeman for various parts of the organisation, pantry, furniture and thrift shops, consulant on sustainability, energy, tax and welfare, write submissions, relocate snakes around the town apparently, and pretty much anything noone else can do.
oh yeah, I also get to supervise anyone who has "issues".

Artist and sculpter

Live! I am living on an island which is run on the fuel of volunteerism. One has volunteer opportunities everywhere (I constantly find opportunities I didn't know about); from the 5 star library, to being in one or more of the many National Monument groups and even in our famous (and on the list for tourists) transfer station (or dump).
Note: Our state governor picking up something from the 'take it or leave it' store (he is being touted as being a presidential candidate).

[lopezsolidwaste.org]

Retired for over 23 years, not working at all and enjoying every minute of it.

If I could do anything and there was no barriers it would have to be working with animals, preferably on my own farm.

I support people with learning disabilities I cannot say it is a hard job I have been to so many places as I do one to one and support to the Theatre, Cinema, meals out, steam railways, places of interest the list goes on. In the past I have been a Nursery Teacher and worked back in the good old days at the American Express Co.

I am a PBX dispatcher in a hospital but my true passion lies with acting writing and movies

@twshield I hope it goes well! And if you ever need an eccentric redhead for filming you know where to find me 🙂

I am retired - when I wasnt retired - I had a slew of jobs started off working in laboratories - flour, cosmetics, beer and processed cheese - soemtimes worked as wages clerk/ledger clerk also worked in a computer lab; trained as a plasterer and was general builder in a workers co-operative then person centred counsellor person centred creative expressive therapist - Lecturer in Person centred counselling - I was an artist in residence a few times sat on the Bamford review of adult mental health as a service user and was part of a mentla health advocacy team called Mind Yourself! probably missed some weird jobs out; here - (getting very old)

I'm a security guard at the busiest e.r. in the United States

Marah Level 2 Mar 14, 2018

Before I had a stroke in 2012 , I was an executive in the fishing industry .I now deal in antiques and 'objets de virtu'.

I am a coffeehouse manager... Im a tattoo artist... I tutor grade school kids... I do tarot card readings... I am working on a degree in Psychology... I am a single mom, which is proving to be the hardest job I have, but the most rewarding.

I'm a Histocompatbility technologist in a organ/stem cell transplant testing laboratory (we do a combination of immunology and genetics testing). I'm currently in training and it's harder than anything I've ever done. I am learning next generation sequencing which has a long and complex process and I am frequently afraid I am heading for a mental breakdown because of it. But I keep plugging away, hoping the feelings will dissipate over time as I learn.

Senior software developer (over 30 years) specializing in large database applications, mostly back-end work. Did some technical writing and editing in the past, as well as some teaching. This year it looks like I'm going to get involved in an industry standards body as part of representing my main (nearly, my sole) client. I love what I do and would do it for fun if I didn't need the money. 98% of my hours are worked remotely, from home; I'm east coast, my client is west coast. It's the one area in my life where I've hit the jackpot.

See username haha.

If I could do anything it would probably be what I do now

What I do now is write, and I love what I do. That could be a little misleading because my first job was as a writer back in 1956 and I also worked with my dad as a songwriter and copywriter. Then I went into naval architecture as a full time activity for about 30 years.

As for what I would do if money and time were not issues, I'd return to my old hobby of sailing around the world, though I have a feeling it wouldn't be anywhere near as much fun at landfall as it was back then. Still, just being out on the water with nowhere specific to go would be my ideal. I could still write and transmit my material to publishers, so it would be the best of a couple of worlds.

For the time being I am an intern for an IT company, I program and debug artificial intelligence programs.

I used to design ridiculously overpowered car stereo equipment.

I work with mentally, physically disabled adults. I like my job but I would like to do something in holistic medicine.

Since 2000 funeral director and embalmer aka mortician, co owner of Simply Cremations & Funeral Services in Edmonton Alberta and Sidney BC Canada, prior to that bilingual clerk at Canada Post, Dog Groomer at Groomingdales. Currently studying for the real estate exam in April.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:34212
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.