Agnostic.com

84 15

How do you de-stress?

I was a christian for 26 years and was used to praying through the hard times to feel better. Now that I don't believe there is a god out there in control of everything, I've had to come up with other ways to de-stress. Sometimes I just remind myself of how far I've come and what I've been capable of. Sometimes I take deep breaths. How do you de-stress when things are tough?

LisaL81 7 May 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

84 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Keep putting yourself in successively more stressful situations on a regular basis until eventually everyday stress becomes an exercise in monotony and you can no longer understand why trivial things bother some people. Then de-stressing will no longer be required because you won't get stressed in the first place.

That is NOT FUNNY reminds me of Archie Bunker going on TV "arm all passengers with guns to give superiority over armed hijackers to prevent hijacking airplanes

@GreenAtheist I wasn't making a joke

@Happy_Killbot that "plan" is how us veterans were trained for war....so you want our Feminist Atheist comrade to militarize herself normalizing terror in her life ?

@GreenAtheist I think people secretly desire stress in their lives. If everyone lived with the expectation that things were going to get tough, stuff is going to break, people are going to die and the universe is ultimately going to destroy any and all hope that we ever have, everyone would find it easier to cope with the inevitable grief that dominates so many people's lives and is one of the principal reasons that religion exists in the first place.

Stress and grief increases the value of the pleasurable peaceful moments, and being able to cope with great amounts of stress gives you a decisive advantage in times of chaos. It's like working out, you normalize higher amounts of weight and activity then you can lift more.

I run or walk. Clears my head.

I don't run unless someone is chasing me. Lol

I bundle all my stress up into a little dense ball that dwells deep inside my diaphragm. There it sits quietly, until like the inside of a golf ball, it unwinds violently, making breathing feel impossible. It's a pretty good system.

[curiosity.com]

@FrayedBear that actually works sometimes if I can catch it early. Thanks!

I masturbate

Sex and alcohol

Creative sex usually helps.

zesty Level 7 May 8, 2019

Lol. That's if the stress allows you to get into the mood.

Ripping out weeds in my gardens is great during spring and autumn, winter= grabbing the axe, the steel wedges, the 10lb sledge hammer and the chainsaw (if needed) and splitting wood for the wood heater, it gets the blood flowing, the temperature up and I often imagine the face, etc, of some annoying person, problem, etc, being on the piece of wood.
As for the accursed Telemarketers/Survey Pollsters ringing my landline, well, answering and speaking in either German, Latin or some meaningless drivel language I've invented at the time usually annoys them and release my stress.

Btw, I 'de-stressed' quite well yesterday afternoon, split, cut and stacked 4 wheelbarrow loads of firewood, the axe, sledge-hammer, wedges and saw got an excellent work-out, now I'm waiting for the Election Results from the Federal Election next weekend and BOY will there be wood chips flying after they come out....LOL.

You had faith in God. It's time to put faith in people and government and assume that most will do the right thing, from teachers, to politicians, to everyday people. And that those who don't will be caught by practices and protocols set in place.

YouTube debates with flat earthers!!!

i actually met a guy that thinks the earth is flat.

Breathe slow and loud; get into a good book; work up a sweat, usually a fast walk or an uphill hike; smoke a bowl; sip an alcoholic beverage; clean house; silly YouTube videos; sex (only this far down the list because I’m solo)
But mostly I avoid things that cause stress to spike, like TV news, any Trump news, cities, drama. Stress still rears is ugly head, hence the big bag of tricks listed.

>sex (only this far down the list because I’m solo)

"Best I ever had was me." -- Woody Allen.

Now don't start talking about finger licking good.

Nothing relieves my stress better than a long hike

Unity Level 7 May 9, 2019

I do believe in the power of massage. The power of human touch and muscular massage can really de-stress and get those feel-good transmitters and receptor going with the good stuff. Even an inexpensive massage at the mall can do that for you. It does not have to be a $300 spa day. (And I'm not talking about the happy-ending kind at the asian massage parlor, either.)

What is this "de-stress" of which you speak?

Mindfulness meditation, exercise, sex (self & other), moderate alcohol consumption, hot tub, television.

Since you seem to be seeking things specifically to replace prayer, I would direct you to many, many options for meditation that are out there. I recommend books and audio programs by Zen Master Thich Naht Hahn and videos by deeply secular news anchor Dan Harris. There are even apps to guide you, such as Calm, Breathe, Insight Timer. I believe Sam Harris has even developed one called Waking Up.

Welcome to your new freedom!

Deep breaths are good, but deep drags on a pipe work better. Seriously, I de-stress by getting in my car and driving down rural roads (they are all rural roads here) while listening to Neil Gaiman books, or maybe Terry Pratchett's. Or late at night, I may have one or two shots of aquavit and listen to the Rolling Stones until the dogs protest.

For de-stressing I also like being near moving water, like standing in a mountain river. Something about the flow of energy and the ionized air. And i might as well catch a brown trout with a fly rod while i'm in there.

Count your Blessings. Nothing to to do with god... keep your eye in your Potential and how much you are Worth... to yourself. Peace.

@LisaL81 I like to go into a flow state.

I also like to practice mindfulness and try and stay in the moment and much as possible with all my senses and thought. If I prefer to use substance then cannabis as either cbd or medically prescribed thc. There are plenty of breathing techniques out there as well:

Hope these little de-stressors of mine lead you to find what works best for you.

I walk a labyrinth if there is one nearby. Or, I take a hike in the woods, bring my hammock, and find a place to relax and enjoy the quiet.

A little scotch and a little weed, or when I am playing music. Sex works, but the other two are much easier to come by. No pun intended. 🙂

I meditate daily so as not to built up stress...intense physical workouts help me as well, especially if it involved punching something...

Petting my black cats seems to calm me down and take me away from it all...

I like all of the suggestions people have given...one of each works for me!

In general, even tough my life is not easy, I have little issue dealing with stress. Just the way I am wired, I'm certainly not special or in denial. To the extent I do feel any, exercise is best. A cigar with cognac is effective as well.

Yoga, meditation, weed, playing and/or listening to music, getting out in nature, exercise, hard work, and sex and/or masturbation seem to be the most sure fire ways to clear my mind. Hot tub, sauna, massage, stronger psychedelics and swimming are all primo reset buttons for me too but I don’t get to partake in them often.

Look back on my life and appreciate all I've experienced, the bad as well as the good. Look forward and know that there's more to come...

I love to read very much and a good book it usually de-stresses me.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:343783
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.