Agnostic.com

16 0

Getting Over Sugar Cravings

I have a problem with sugar. I eat sweets for comfort in the evenings. Can anyone tell me how to get rid of this unhealthy habit?

Lita 5 Mar 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I used to put sugar on everything. Now, I use sweet products instead of actual sugar. I also try to cook with brown sugar.
Flavored creamer is where I started...

@Lita Same here, I'm very new to this site. Thanks for acknowledging, really! I actually clicked on "following ".
BTW, hello Lita, I'm called Jazz...

It is not easy but can be done. Switch to eating more fat and fatty protein. I have a sweet tooth, but switched to very low carb way of eating 3-4 years ago. Contrary to what many see, the best science indicates that it is easily digestible carbohydrates in our diet, not fat, that is the problem.

Same problem. As a kid I used to make sugar and butter sandwiches. After that it got worse. Now if the grams of sugar per serving is in double didgets I don't buy it.

Eat vegetables. That's what I do. I am in the same boat. Cauliflower, broccoli, carrot as snacks. Drink lots of water.

I have no advice but am in the same boat.

drink water . your body is confusing hunger with thirst

Out preferred tastes evolved in terms of we crave the things which in nature woudl provide nutrients our body needs. In hunter gather societies, before agriculture, the tastes we evolved to crave to get nutrients are sugar, salt and fat. Food manufactureres use our evolved cravings as a way of getting us to eat their processed foods, which provides the tastes we naturally crave, but without the nutrients we'd get if we foudn those tastes via natural foods. Because our bodies never get eh nutrients we'd get from natural foods with those tastes, we keep cravign those tastes and processed food manufactureres sell more food and we just get fat and/or unhealthy. When I was younger Ihad the sweet craving and ate mostly unhealthy stuff. Now I ear foods which are mor enaturally sweet, like fruits. After severalmonths of this, the old junk food doesnt' taste as good anymore. I swear i can now even taste preservativesand chemicals in it. Eat a wide variety of foods that are naturally sweet (not processed) and over tiem you will no longer crave the sweet junk foods, because your body will get the nutrients it wants whcih are contained in the natural foods. At first it takes a lot of discipline to not put hunk food intothe grocery cart when shopping, but it gets easier over time.

Sugar is killer. I have to go cold turkey.

Its not easy

You simply have to make up your mind to do it. I was a sweetaholic until I became a diabetic in the 1960s. I have not eaten a single piece of cake, pie or candy since. The only sweets that I eat are whole fruit.

I have a bad sweet addiction. I've gone spells of 2 to 4 weeks of giving it up. But always go back to it

@Lita I have done that before. Strange, both times I did it with alcoholics ...They give up alcohol and I give up sweets. Both times they broke the arrangement. I'm turning it over in my head right now. OK I will do it. I mean before it was no sweets.... Candy, cookies, pie , etc. I can do that. Not sure of everything that has sugar in it. Starting now. I will report back everyday to see if I'm sticking to it. Good timing. I just ate a donut.

@Lita yah. One piece of Candy is too much and a thousand is not enough. Props on the seven years of sobriety. Well it's been twelve hours for me with no sweets, since I had the donut right before making above comment about the accountability pledge. I'm going to give daily updates to keep me honest.

@Lita hopefully it will get better ..... I'm not struggling that much. Only thing I have changed is no sweets. However, that has been unattainable over the last year...The accountability partner think really helps...Glad you suggested it and hang in there

Quit buying it and stock up on fruit.

I have the same problem. I've switched to a high protien low carb diet. Unfortunately u have to use will power the first few week to get past the sugar cravings. Check out the Dr Axe video on youtube on how to beat your sugar cravings naturally. It's really hard. Best of luck to u!

That's easy. Start smoking! Seriously though, the best way to avoid certain foods is not to keep them in the house. You can't eat what isn't there. Good luck!

The best thing is to change your sweet cravings, to be only fruit, sprinkled with nuts. This is much more healthy. Over time, you want even care for sugar sweets. A little yogurt added is good, too.

Switch to raisins-dried fruits.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:34531
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.