Agnostic.com

32 8

How do you answer the banal message, "Hey, how are you?"

I keep getting the same, stupid message from men thousands of miles away:

"Hey, how are you today?"

"Hi LiterateHiker, how was your weekend?"

"Hey, how are you doing today?"

How do you answer this mindless, throwaway question? How much detail do you go into?

I'm tempted to answer "Fine."

Intelligent men show they read my profile. They mention activities we have in common.

At the very least, they answer the pop-quiz at the end of my profile, and ask if they are right. This shows they read it.

LiterateHiker 9 May 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

32 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My go-to answer to "How are you?" is "Mean as ever."

Deb57 Level 8 May 20, 2019

I don't think you're mean at all Deb, but I understand why you might answer defensively....

@TomMcGiverin thank you. I only respond that way to friends who know me, and I smile when I say it. It's just meant as humor. Being that I'm disabled by chronic illness, I figure nobody wants the real answer to that question.

@Deb57 Makes sense.

@Debt57

Hilarious! Thanks for the laugh.

Depends how tired I am or how much sleep I ve got 😂

Exchausted and in shitty mood me : " doing great , never been better "
Rested me : " rough day . The dragon got a sinus infection and the flames are not shooting properly . I am trying to clean out his nostrils and I just got 3 fingers burned badly .
It's a good thing I have 9 more to use . And how are u ?"

@Pralina1

Hilarious! Thanks for the laugh. counts fingers

Excellent!

If I'm in a really pedantic mood:

"I am because, billions of years ago, flaming clouds of gas coalesced out of the Milky Way and formed our solar system and the planet we call Earth. Then, the planet cooled, water vapor condensed and oceans, lakes and rivers appeared. Later, life evolved, beginning as single-cell organisms, and gradually becoming more complex; plants and animals, amphibians, dinosaurs, reptiles, and eventually the first mammals appeared. Then my parents met, they married, had sex one night, and 9 months later, I was born.

That's how I am.

Or did you mean something different by your question?"

@Paul4747

Perfect. Very funny!

Yes, the correct answer is "Fine, thank you." Then you do the same thing to them.

Carin Level 8 May 20, 2019

Just fell in love with @Pralina1. Her priceless reply:

"Depends how tired I am or how much sleep I ve got 😂

Exhausted and in shitty mood me : " doing great , never been better "

Rested me : " rough day . The dragon got a sinus infection and the flames are not shooting properly . I am trying to clean out his nostrils and I just got 3 fingers burned badly .
It's a good thing I have 9 more to use . And how are u ?"

that was great! I have read it twice can I have permission to use it?

Love it

@scout123456

You can ask @pralina1. She didn't exactly copyright her answer.

@LiterateHiker of course !!

I find that annoying too! I respond with "Just fine!" Sometimes, I merely nod my head. I could respond with "Why? Do I look sick?". But "Just fine!" usually does the trick,;and they cease trying to engage me in dingbat blabber-jabber.

@davknight

Too funny! "Why, do I look sick?" is a great retort.

Love how you called it "dingbat blabber-jabber."

Messages with closed - ended questions I answer them with one word but if I receive open - ended questions I like to answer them with a lot of details.
As an example: How was your weekend? Fine.
How do you feel today? Fine
How are you? Fine. So if they don't take the effort to read my profile why should I make the effort to answer their closed - ended questions with details.

I don't ask those to women on Match, but then again, most men are idiots on those sites. But it doesn't matter to most women if the guy has the looks.....The only time I ask a closed ? is if I suspect the woman is a country music fan (which is a dealbreaker with me), then I will ask if they like country music much. All the other dealbreaker ?s I save for after I get an initial reply from the woman. And when I ask those ?s I make it an open-ended one.

Fine...

We as a society need to come up with a new default greeting.........

There's one already.
"I'm not a wolf, but hellooooooooooaaaw"

@Petter

Love your sense of humor! I have tears in my eyes from laughing.

@LiterateHiker Were I not on a different continent, etc. I would probably invite you to join our social circle of certifiable nutcases.

@Petter

Sounds like fun.

@LiterateHiker A load of above average intelligence old fogies is a perfect recipe for fun, especially when they are well travelled, as well as well worn.

Where this site is concerned, I do get a number of private messages like the ones you have listed. I interpret their meaning to be, "I want to communicate with you, but am clueless as to what to say to a total stranger." If I bother to respond to such a message at all, which is seldom, my response is pretty cursory. I won't be interested in a man who contacts me out of the blue and then expects ME to initiate conversation.

Deb57 Level 8 May 20, 2019

@Deb57

Exactly.

My willingness to answer tanks with one-word replies.

Fine is a little vague.
I’d go with “I’m fine. And you?”
They did contact you. They deserve the burden of the conversation starter.
A little test on your post is a winning idea. Helps to weed out the mindless 😶

@billhoo

Thanks for your compliment about my little pop-quiz.

In marketing, it's called a "trigger question." Prompts people to reply.

It works.

I hate small talk and generally refuse to engage in it. Since it sounds like you are talking about online dating and the messaging you get from men on that, I will say that when I send a first message to someone after viewing their profile, it is usually pretty brief, but intelligent and shows that I have read their profile by mentioning at least a couple things that I saw in the profile. I don't spend more than a few minutes anymore on these first messages because it isn't worth the effort, as 90% of them never get replied to and only about half of them even get read anymore. Only about half of them ever result in my profile being viewed.

And you think you have problems with how people from dating sites treat you??

That line should be a salutation not a message. It should be followed by a paragraph and a close of hope to here from you.

@scout123456

I agree with you.

p.s. It's "hope to hear from you."

@LiterateHiker thanks I do that all the time don't know why it drives me bats..then again I am bats lol

Hey! How you doin' there?
Ow! why did you hit me??

I have no idea why someone would initiate a PM to someone who lives somewhere they have no intention of moving to...

She is extremely interesting. Although I’m not “looking”, and would never consider someone thousands of miles away, as well as being a bit out of my league, I might find myself PMing her one day. I think she’s a joy to the site, and wouldn’t mind corresponding occasionally. Decent people are hard to find. Get them where you can 😁

@billhoo

Thank you for your sweet compliment.

I love what you said, especially about being a joy. Touched, I saved your reply to cheer me up when I feel down.

Oh gosh, I get SO MANY of those! I used to ask them to tell me more about themselves. Then the response I'd get is, "what do you want to know?" Now I just write back, "I'm fine. How are you?"

By the way, reading all the previous comments, I'm going to us some of these.

@bleurowz

Me, too.

@LiterateHiker And wouldn't you know it, I have my chance today. Just got another one this morning.

i usually type - 'fine. how are you?'

what gets me are the prescripted questions that match has.... i don't usually answer those.

I'm on Match too and I see those all the time. Those questions are retarded and only used by people too dim to write a decent ? or comment in a message. I don't want to look that dim to women, for what it's worth......

Someone actually sent me one of those once. To her credit, she admitted it's because she was really shy and has trouble starting a conversation cold.

@SeeCanU

Fitness Singles has a drop-down list of short questions. Ninety percent of men send me the same question. "I liked your profile. What do you think of mine?" Zero effort.

Me (excitedly): "Oooh, a message from Fitness Singles!"

Opens message

Him (like the last 30 men): "I liked your profile. What do you think of mine?"

Me (disappointed): "Not again."

@LiterateHiker I don't blame you for the disappointment and lack of interest when they are not willing to put any effort into their message. As I said elsewhere on this thread, even tho I now feel hopeless about online dating ever working for me, I still at least make a decent effort in my messages, even if it's only out of pride for my writing ability and my awareness that there's no point in sending the kind of messages you are getting because even if the woman reads them, they are not going to respond to that kind of message, at least with my level of looks, so why would I even bother sending a message like that?

Peachy
Ducky
Fantastic
Stupendous
Really just depends. If you throw out an unusual response, it usually throws people.

i don't usually get asked this unless i've not been feeling well and then i am asked by someone who knows i've been ill, which i usually am. therefore i take people at their word and give an honest answer.

g

I get those too. It’s annoying that there’s virtually no effort put into a question that requires a real response. So I put the same effort back and simply don’t respond.

@Bobbyzen

Thanks for confirming my feelings. It's frustrating. There's no effort put into the question.

"Hi how are you?" a man messaged me yesterday. Not again.

"Not unwell," I replied, quoting George Carlin.

Radio silence.

Thank you, @Deiter, for that brilliant suggestion.

George Carlin on "How are you?" and "Have a nice day"

[video.search.yahoo.com]

To a similar greeting, I was in a wiseass mood and replied :

"last time I checked, everything was functioning satisfactorily - however, this is subject to change at any time "

If it were me,I'd reply,"Honestly"? Then talk about the frustrations of life,how lifetimes, are relatively short.

Love all your response ,a lot of funny but serious answers at the same time, Please let us know the response back when you use these different lines,,should be very interesting

@RoyMillar

To honor George Carlin, I'm going to start with "Not unwell."

Will report back on the response.

Thank you, @Deiter for this idea.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:349597
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.