Agnostic.com

24 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Welcome to the asylum. Enjoy your stay.

In my experience, people like that are not relationship material. At least not in the
long term.
If the sex is good, it takes longer to cut them loose.
If the sex is good, people tend to put up with bullshit they wouldn't from others.

she keeps saying she respects his beliefs. does she respect his belief that she is "spiritually dead" and somehow in the wrong for being an agnostic? i'd be pissed off. she also said he respects her belief, or lack thereof. he quite obviously does not.

g

This isn’t you...it’s an old article from a few year ago. Are you just positing a hypothetical for us to discuss?

Did you catch a troll?? The response might be interesting.

@BufftonBeotch Who knows! It’s a lazy way to gain points.

It’s almost 6 years old

On the flip side of the coin, my Christian friend just shared she's been reading that it's almost impossible to convert an atheist. I just looked at her and said true...just show me your evidence!

Christians can't understand because they believe in a lack of evidence.... To put this in prospective you see a red piece of fruit and taste it calling it an apple.... He sees that same piece of fruit and says "I have faith that is an orange..."

it isn't just the lack of evidence, it's the interpretation.
they see the Wonders and beauty of nature, then make the conclusion there is an invisible man that created everything revealed in the Bible.

@m16566 With as complete lack of evidence to back up that conclusion...

He probably thinks he can get you to his beliefs. The problem is he doesn't want to hear another opinion and this bodes very badly for any future happiness in a relationship under these circumstances.

Sounds a bit like the conversation I had with my Dad last year. He also identified "rational thinking" as a prevalent problem which has caused so many people to lose faith in god/religion. Are you kidding me??? My Dad was a medical professional with years and years of study and training in western science-based medicine. Without rational thinking and with only faith in god, many of his patients would have died. Without much rational thinking being involved, instead of performing life saving surgeries on his patients, he would've just prayed over their bodies for god to intervene with his saving grace. Many people apply rational thinking except when it comes to their delusional belief in random imaginary sky ghosts.

One of my core rules to my life is the fact that I believe in order to be super compatible with someone you need to share common sense. In my opinion is that a person that is religious and another that is Irreligious is pretty at odds with common sense decision making and this is going to do nothing but make life super difficult between each other. I have made the decision that I will not allow someone of faith be a significant other half. As a coupling between two people I want our decisions to have at least have a chance at a easy resolution.

Lots of times Christians think we are just missing something. They expect us to accept there belief and faith in truthless unprovable blind tradition that most of them can't even explain. But if we can't exactly prove every single aspect of our understanding of the cosmos, then we are just wrong.... or don't get it. Yeah we got it, its rubbish... let's look at what's happening now in our world.!!!

Two things are at play here. The bible says that everyone believes in god. Next it comes to things like my stepfather always said. "God said it, I believe it, and that settles it."

how can you have an 'over dependence on rational thought' ?? lol.

I don't think he is going to convince her by metaphorically beating her over the head

Very insecure guy. Insecurity doesn't want to communicate, it either bullies or it runs away. If you want to keep it up with this kind of insecurity on the other end, well hey, your call. It's not something you can really change either. Good luck.

Ya I can't say I would be able to date anyone much more than spiritual.

Did you try a different language?

Honestly, I feel that love has no barriers. If one looks up love in a dictionary, I doubt it would say that it’s based on any religion.

Find another

bobwjr Level 10 June 9, 2019

After 25 years in a relationship I learned that my partner (wife, spouse etc.) believed in god (non specified). The only thing I could say was; "Holy shit!" Obviously it had never been an issue; yet I felt a little strange.

Why are you posting a girl with xian boyfriend problem ?? My advice to her if she is here is to end her relationship with a domineering boy who she lets him cut off all discussing other matters but now wants advice to explain Atheism and Agnosticism to a religious studies student....he is obviously brainwashed and toned down his proselytizing for sex....she is a victim ready to be harmed when she stops letting him fuck her

You are lucky, if he shut up after not understanding, it is the ones who keep on talking after not understanding who are really annoying.

Don't wish to seem flip, since I know this must be a real painful issue for you, but think about it, if he did not try to convert you there and then, the you a half way to a compromise.

Time to get another boyfriend.

At least you tried to have a civil conversation about it. It seems like it didn't take long before his beliefs were challenged and he didn't want to open his mind any. Some of the biggest fights that my ex-wife and I had were over religion. We were usually drunk when the topic of conversation went that way, which did not help my cause.
She would begin any point she had with "because in the bible it says...." and I just could not figure out a way to...convince her of the possibility of the bible being anything but absolute. And that is on the individual, themselves. If they truly want to open their minds and see things from multiple perspectives. Then they can form their own ideas and have a much better understanding of something. But most just believe what they were told from youth and have drilled into them. They take whatever they were told as the absolute truth, and they are so sure that what they believe is correct. And it's not even really what they believe. It is what they were told to believe. I don't understand why people will believe in one thing just because someone told them what to believe, but will not even listen when someone else tries to tell them what to believe. Then they don't even really listen to the other side, they just wait until it's their turn to explain why they are right. Everyone is right in what they believe and justified in their actions, even if their actions seem to go against their beliefs, somehow their actions become justified just because they believe. Everyone is so afraid of being wrong. Why? If you are never wrong, then how are you going to learn anything? I don't understand. And so many people go into any kind of confrontation thinking they are right. And it is very hard to reason with someone who is convinced they cannot be wrong.

I would say, buh bye.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:358303
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.