Agnostic.com

21 20

Canadian police chief gives $575 ticket to driver who tossed a lit cigarette out his car window

Only YOU can prevent forest fires.

Bravo to the police chief!

Last November, I was driving on Highway 2 near Cashmere, WA, when a small brush fire started next to the highway and rapidly roared up the hillside.

A quick glance at the fire showed the wind was blowing the fire away from the highway. I pulled over past the fire to call 911, memorizing the nearest highway marker.

Firefighters quickly put it out. Well done.

An investigation showed the fire was from a broken tailpipe.

[kfor.com]

LiterateHiker 9 June 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Ex smoker here.

I never threw my butts out the car window.

At home, I smoked outside and had a glass soda bottle with water in it to put my butts.

Ugh. Litterbugs.

J75243 Level 6 June 13, 2019

I wish all police would so discourage littering. Especially when the litter is on fire!

I've memories of dumping water from a huge canvas "bucket" slung under my helio on fires in the Huachuca & Chiricahua mountains for what seemed little to no effect. Us Easterners who live in pretty wet woodlands have no concept of what a wildfire can do to a semi-arid ecosystem.

Kudos to that police chief!
Canada, oh Canada...!!

Good.
I've smoked. I still have the occasional one when I drink. I'm around smokers all the time. No problem.
Except most smokers use the world as their ash tray and it pisses me off. One little butt may not be bad, but when it's followed by it's billions of brothers....everywhere you look, then it's a problem.

One little butt is a problem , if it starts a wild fire , burns down homes , woodlands , businesses , etc .

@Cast1es Few people know that deer and other animals are attracted to tobacco. The smell of the butts lures deer to the road where they can be hit by cars.

@Carin I never knew..

@Freespirit64 I didn't either till one of my goats got loose and a lady led him home by holding a cigarette under his nose! She was one of those people who seemed to know everything about animals and, I think, said she had worked at a zoo or something. Anyway, she told me about that, and that a hippo had died from eating butts that people threw in its pool.

Hope they do this in California...

You are brave! You could have been trapped! Good for you...and for the police...laws that are not enforced are useless...and this law saved trees and lives.

@thinktwice

A quick glance at the fire showed the wind was blowing the fire away from the highway. I pulled over past the fire to call 911, memorizing the nearest highway marker.

well done to the police
should be for all offenders who risk starting a fire

Just goes to show that smoking is bad for your wealth! 🙂

JimmyM Level 7 June 13, 2019

They apparently just established that the California Ranch Fire, the largest fire to hit California, was started by a farmer trying to plug up a wasp nest with a metal stake. Seems far fetched, right? Seems he is allergic to wasp stings and there was an underground nest on his property. He took a metal stake up to plug it up and on a mishit on the stake, sent a spark into the dry brush. But the time he got back to his place and called for help, the fire had spread over the mountain and proceeded to burn over 400K acres. [abc10.com]

@Barnie2years

It's like the teenager who deliberty tossed fireworks into trees below a trail in beautiful, beloved Columbia Gorge, Oregon.

The teen who started the major Oregon wildfire must pay $36.6 million for damages, the judge ruled.

[usatoday.com]

@LiterateHiker, let's see... At $10 a week for 52 weeks a year, he should have it paid off in 692,308 years, not including interest. At least the $575CA ticket is likely to be paid off. There is no way the kid will ever pay off his $36 mil debt.

@Barnie2years

His parents were also ordered to pay for damages.

They bought their son banned fireworks that he used to start the fire.

@MayQueen

The 15-year-old male idiot deliberately threw fireworks into dry trees below the trail. It was 100 degrees. He was with friends who took videos. The teens thought it was funny they started a wildfire.

A hiker who saw him start the fire ran after the teens down the trail. They were laughing about getting away without being caught.

She ran into law enforcement and pointed to the teens' car driving away. The policemen asked her to get in, and they followed and stopped the teens.

[wweek.com]

[orrazz.com]

That's a very good thing 👍

Good! I wonder i it was at night. Other wise it would be difficult to tell if it was lit.

Littering should be fined in any case. Throwing out something that can burn as hot and long as a cigerette butt should have a much higher fine.

Does Liberty Orchards (Home of Aplets and Cotlets) still have the pink fruit stand along the highway?

@GeorgeRocheleau

On both side of Hwy. 2, there are signs directing folks to the Liberty Orchards candy factory in Cashmere for guided tours and candy.

A tourist attraction.

The old, pink Liberty Orchard fruit stand is gone.

I lived in that area when I was a pup, but it has been almost 40 years since I have been there.

Being from California, which is always on fire, I feel like that's a no-brainer.

Hope it goes virual for all to see

Righteous

bobwjr Level 10 June 13, 2019

When I travel I5 down through California during fire season you will see every mile or so small (less than an acre) burned areas that are probably caused by cigarette butts casually tossed out the window or vehicle catalytic converter caused burns.

Not near enough of a fine. Should have added the potential cost of a heli attack crew, one engine, fire crew and water tanker. Might, but most likely not, make people think about it. Unless of course, they are pryo's .

@calgary

Did you mean the fine was not near enough for a fire?

$575 should stick in the perp's memory for quite a while. May get the attention of a few other oafs that they could be a little bit poorer for being careless, or a lot poorer if they actually start a fire.

I wish that happened in the
US often enough to get filthy smokers to take responsibility for their toxic waste.

Carin Level 8 June 14, 2019

For best results a forest should be burned every three years.

Devil’s advocate here.

@desertastronomer No, a controlled burn.

My cousin works for the Park Service. He was sent to New Mexico to learn how to excecute a controlled burn, the wind picked up and 400 houses were burned...oops.

Every 3 years? A forest can't even become a forest in 3 years.

@Carin I think they wait about ten years for the first burning. Burn too soon and the trees will be killed. Wait too long and you might have a conflagration that also will kill the trees.

I’m talking about pines in my area. It would probably be different in other places.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:360416
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.