Agnostic.com

16 10

Young people develop bone spurs at base of skull from looking down at smartphones

Painful.

"The study, which was published last year in the journal Scientific Reports, indeed found bony growths on the bases on skulls of around 400 adults, ages 18 to 86. And younger people were found to have larger growths."

As an avid reader, I don't slouch over books like a ghoul. I hold books up to read.

[nbcnews.com]

LiterateHiker 9 June 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It seems to me that you read in a perfect meditative state, focused and relaxed.🙂

Study called into question.

[arstechnica.com]

1of5 Level 8 June 21, 2019

Beat me to it, ya bugger! Love Ars Technica, helps me get my geek on.

Well if we go to war with Iraq I'm going to claim that I can't serve due to bone spurs from texting... 😂

Wow!

We are becoming a bone spur nation!

There is always ssomething new to watch out for but regardless of what it is,,always leeds back to your posture ,many excellent studys have been done,,especially for sitting at desks etc

i regularly examine my navel for lint. haven't noticed any bone spurs yet.

now that i think of it i've done most of my reading in a supine position.

if looking down at phones caused this why didn't looking down at books do the same?

davers Level 7 June 20, 2019

@davers, @motrubl47u

A lifelong voracious reader, I hold up books to read.

I don't slouch over books. No neck pain or bone spurs.

@LiterateHiker Just arm ache I presume. 🙂

@davers

Since age 21, I have lifted weights.

Reading gives me rapture. It's painless.

@LiterateHiker Ok now I'm going to be pedantic, I guarantee you have not been reading anything for your entire life. 😛

@davers

Like my siblings, I was reading sentences at age three. Close enough.

Was asked to skip two grades: from fourth to seventh grade. Stubbornly refused.

About 4' tall, I was afraid junior high bullies would shove me into a locker and leave me there to die.

@LiterateHiker I was referring to your use of the phrase "my entire life" and as your obviously still alive you haven't experienced your entire life yet.Sorry I was just being facetious, my bad.

Can they tie it into phone use?

@michaelj

Yes.

Serves em' right, the young whippersnappers!

Older people are developing frontal skull damage from walking into light poles while texting.

mischl Level 8 June 20, 2019

Not true. Another rumor. But a pretty cool idea.
Kind of "Hellboy-like".... 😉

Feeling the back of my head...

So.....that didn't happen from reading writing?

Sounds bogus to me.

@BufftonBeotch

As a voracious reader my entire life, I hold up books to read.

I don't hunch over books like a ghoul. No neck pain or bone spurs.

Yup new problems

bobwjr Level 10 June 20, 2019

It happens with laptops too

I have one from carrying big waiter trays. The real pathologist that the show Bones was based on identified a dead waiter that way. 30 plus years later I still had a small prominence on my shoulder.We had a skeleton with them high up on their tibia. Maybe a ballerina or constantly trying to correct for high heels?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:363508
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.