Agnostic.com

15 7

For you, what makes a place homey?

"Your place is homey," Dan said.

Is it art on the walls, good food, books, music or throw pillows? I wondered. Maybe my decorating style reminds him of his mother's.

I suppose it depends on where you grew up. In Michigan, my parent's home was filled with paintings, books and music. My immediate family was six, left-handed musicians and artists.

My home is a sanctuary that comforts and pleases me.

Photos:

1. "Cascade Lake Late," oil painting by Michael Ferguson of WA State.

2. Michigan winter farm scene, oil painting by Baker. This was a 25th wedding anniversary gift from Dad to my mother. Growing up, this painting hung over the living room fireplace.

3. Lake Colchuck oil painting by Jan Cook Mack. Painted on site.

4. Me, 56, at Lake Colchuck, 6,000 feet, with Dragontail Peak in the background.

LiterateHiker 9 July 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A bed, a couch and a wifi connection!

Home is sort of a place where one or more finishes their ways, isn't it? Or do I under-think about the word? It comes off like this "Dan" person was just making a good assumption and trying to learn more about you.

This "Dan" person was probably extremely smart-he might have known that your home leaves a mark on anyone, and he was trying to work out the mark to integrate with you. Yes, definitely a smart person in a respect.

If your family had so many left-handers, at least one of them was probably perfectly brilliant.

-D.Z.

@DZkhukovin

You're right.

Dad was a math genius. He was a professional jazz trumpet player and a successful business owner. We all played an instrument.

Lee (brother) is a genius with a photographic memory. Trumpet.

Lynne (older sister) was valedictorian of her high school class. Oboe.

Me. With a 146 IQ, I was asked to skip two grades: from 4th to 7th. I stoutly refused. Skinny and small, I was afraid junior high bullies would shut me in a locker (I would fit), leaving me to die. Flute.

Beth (little sister) skipped three grades. Beth graduated from high school at 14. She got a bachelor degree at 18, majoring in music and French. Oboe.

"How the hell should I know what I want to do for a career at 18?" Beth asked and laughed. She founded a successful business and played oboe in the Chicago Symphony. Later, Beth played jazz flute in a trio.

Mom was extremely intelligent. She was an artist and pianist.

@LiterateHiker

What test did you score a 146 IQ on?

146 is high enough to warrant high-range testing. They should have given you a high-range test after that, if they didn't do it.

After 130 to 145, tests lose reliability, and 125 seems to be a breaking point between a normal person and a superencephalic, or greater.

Unfortunately, high range testing, aside from the cheap, short ones they sell online (like Mathema, Logima Strictica, etc.) is both expensive and scarce...there are what, two major extended scale tests?

Reporting an ultra-high (145+) IQ online seems to just cause people to accuse someone of lying, but I've been pretty damned good at intelligence heuristics. I seem to have ALL of them come to my head, and I have been writing a book on intelligence philosophy for people who have lost brain cells, wish to maintain them, or wish to grow more, regardless of age and health status. About two months ago, someone with a mental handicap asked me if my upcoming book will help him. I immediately had to make a mental note to make the book as publicly known as possible, because the minimum IQ in the U.S. is about 25 points too low to help sustain a long-term civilization that can handle possible upcoming trials. The entire distribution should shift up, and the number scale should remain the same, because, well, they're numbers; just why should a scalar ever behave like something else?

I don't know about the IQ's of my family members, and I long-ago threw out my ETS numbers from the CTB test from ages 8 to 10, but I do remember getting top scores on the crystallized portion of the CTB in the 5th grade. The scores, whatever they were, put me in a program for gifted kids, which I left pretty quickly because I was already interested in other things.

There was testing in patterns, operations, numeracy, and other fluid heuristics but THAT report is from age 7 to 8, which is pushing the interval too hard to take as an accurate report. In fact, I have no actual IQ test report that meets real quality standards, so I've been going my entire life questioning if I'm actually smart, and how smart I am, or not. It's been pretty tiring.

Some of my family members show some-top level propensities, but I've yet to see a perfectly brilliant person in my family tree, unless it's Dr. Victor Matveev, but he's only my third cousin, so maybe he doesn't count. But none of it has applied to the host culture of the U.S., since I am a first-generation American, though some obviously very educated, distinguished skilled and mentally capable people are in my family tree.

-D.Z.

@DZhukovin

After a suicide attempt at 16, Lee was diagnosed as bipolar, a genius with a photographic memory.

Lee's psychiatrist gave all four of us kids IQ tests. My Dad paid for it.

My first IQ test was given by Lee's psychiatrist. I was 19. Result: 146.

At 60, my IQ tested at 146 again. Surprised me. I used a free online IQ test.

@LiterateHiker Okay, but that's orienting more towards the personal aspect. I don't reject or automatically believe that you're telling the truth, I just want to know more about what you are telling me.

What is the name of the test the psychiatrist gave you? -D.Z.

@DZhukovin

Sheesh. I don't remember. That was a long time ago.

The name of the IQ test was not important to me.

@ToolGuy

Thank you. I'm not sure if the man was a psychiatrist or psychologist.

At 19, I was in college. My father drove us kids to Detroit for an IQ test. It was in an office. That's all I remember, apart from my score.

@ToolGuy

All that means is that it is less likely that the person who administered the test was qualified, it doesn't actually create the assumption of a counter-argument. I ASKED about the name of the test in CURIOSITY.-D.Z.

@LiterateHiker

What the hell is "sheesh" for? Did I verbally attack you? I think not. I was only asking a question. If I was badgering, I'd repeat the same question over and over.

-D.Z.

@DZhukovin

"Sheesh" expresses exasperation. I was 19, for heaven's sake. I'm 65.

You expect me to know the name of an IQ test I took 46 years ago? I probably started the test without reading the name.

@LiterateHiker

I didn't expect it, I was just asking the question. Again, it got personal. Why am I getting negative reinforcement over something taken the wrong way? -D.Z.

My cats

Home is not a place. Home is a person...

cats.

g

A bed, tv, internet and air conditioning

Books. Fossils on the wall (I don't really do art, sorry). Small, cobbled together stereo that punches way above its weight sound quality wise. Plants. Cats. Between 1-4 of my spawn flopping on me/the couch/the floor. That'll do.

Coziness, books, and my animals.

An air conditioner.

When I was laying in a hospital bed, an 18 year old broken and maybe beyond repair I listened to 4 CDs time after time. Pink Floyds Dark Side of the Moon has a line
Home, home again,
I like to be there when I can
and when I come home cold and tired
It's good to warm my bones beside the fire

Every place I have lived had an open fire, with a comfy chair beside it to relax in and be warmed added to that a thick rug, for my dogs to lay on around that chair.
I have an extensive library, an expensive, now shrinking, art collection, kept a sizable cellar - but that chair beside the fire surrounded by my dogs is what defined HOME

I need a comfortable place to rest and read/use my Kindle and phone, with chargers; music; art and craft supplies, and my dog. I prefer quiet, and I do have some favorite art; I also love anything with sunflowers and very simple decor. Everything else is gravy.

It depends on the house I am decorating. I will choose furniture to suit the house. Color wise, I don't like beige, or pastel painted walls, and only paint a room white if it is the only color that works for that room. I prefer earth tones 90% of the time and generally go with darker colors on the walls. The only style I won't attempt is Early American as it is really ugly and I have never been able to figure out away to make it look better. I like mixing styles and pieces when possible. I live in a travel trailer at this time, so I was limited in what I could do, but I made it work for me.

My trailer is a little larger than yours but it is home.

@CynicalGirl That is very nice of you to say. Thank you.

For me, books. Lots of books. This is my bedroom. More in the living room.

Its homey if I smell dogs.

My house is a reminder of all of the places my family traveled when I was a kid and when I became an adult...I try not to collect specific things, but little treasures that I can incorporate and use.

I have a favorite tablecloth in blue and white from Greece; a vase made of porcupine quills from Ethiopia; hand embroidered birds on silk from Japan; little wooden shoes from Holland...all things that have a story, a memory...

I have art from fellow artists and music from fellow musicians...I have way too many books...

I think a home is comfy when it is not too overwhelmed with stuff, but still shows a bit of the story of those who live there...a place where friends can take off their shoes, put their feet up, hug a handmade pillow or quilt, open the fridge to grab a tea or beer, and chat about everything under the sun...

Sounds like your home is a great place to be as well...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:375258
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.