Agnostic.com

45 6

What do you think the world be like with out religion?

I think it would a more peaceful and enlightened world. The planet and its people would be a lot better off. I know I'm a lot better off without religion. It's quite liberating.

freedom41 9 July 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

45 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Safer. More educated. More peaceful. Enlightened. Saner. More cooperative. Cleaner. In a word... Better.

I totally agree with your post. Other comments bring up good points.

Freer, less/no war, greater advancement of knowledge/technology.

This is pin point. Skip to 54 seconds for it. or just wait.

I think the world would be without humans, or with genetically modified humans only. It’s not as simple as just a bad idea that a lot of people believe. Religious behavior is supported by multiple biological systems, some of which were necessary for other functions, like parent/child bonding for example, and is an evolved cultural behavior as well. It won’t go away until we do, or until we get a lot better at gene splicing.

skado Level 9 July 19, 2019

If we got rid of religions, human nature being unfortunately what it is, we would find other reasons to go to war and doing other senseless stuff.

Not if we found better methods of learning, dialogue and negotiation that worked

Pretty sure some other vehicle for the weak to follow would exist. Maybe a huge version of the Colombia Record Club or Publishers clearing House. I suspect the GOP would have Chapter houses in every town.

Ha...EXACTLY what you wrote up there...is what I believe. THAT time IS coming though...it was revealed by the creators of STAR TREK.
‘A lot has changed in three hundred years. People are no longer obsessed with the accumulation of things. We have eliminated hunger, want, the need for possessions.’
I KNOW you asked about religion...but...WHAT is the WEALTHIEST business in the world??? RELIGION. AND THE MOST psychotically based institution.
EVENTUALLY...man will look BEYOND BLASPHEMY...and step out into the light...and work toward personal exploration, and growth!!!

I tend to think that without the adverse influences of religions and their quite openly and apparent tendencies to foster divisiveness, etc, etc, humankind would be far more co-operative, peaceful and far greater advanced than it is now.

It would be pretty much the same, but without churches I guess.

Less ignorant!

It will be a lot like Switzerland or Israel, but without the threat of Islam imperialism.

Lol

What?

Isreal is a religious state., how does that work?

@MarkiusMahamius Israel and Switzerland are both secular states. Modern Israel was founded as a refuge for Jews who were / are persecuted elsewhere.

People would still be fucked up and do fucked up things. Religion is a symptom of our collective psychosis and eliminating it would accomplish very little (although it would be a nice start). The underlying issues of resource distribution, me me me, and tribalism would still be there.

1of5 Level 8 July 19, 2019

Humans are also very aggressive. If we didn't reduce the population by a huge percent, we still need a method for maintaining social order. I don't know if it's possible to do that on a wide scale, without weekly brain washing sessions

Hard to say.

Star Trek had a mirror universe that had the Terran Empire, that was the successor of the Roman Empire. Maybe that universe was when Xtianity didnt exist.

Religion has brought some good things but the bad far outweigh the good.

J75243 Level 6 July 19, 2019

I don't know but I want to give it a try.

The day will come but unfortunately, none of us will see it.

As the earth will reach a point when it no longer supports life, yes, the day without religions in this world will come.

@NoMagicCookie That's one possibility

The tendency to form one, to grab power and to dupe people would still be there. It is human nature as long as there are weak people there to submit. No catastrophic happening in nature will do anything but revive or deepen religion.

So as I see it there are only three things that will rid us of religion. Unless they are worked on together nothing would happen.
1.) We must substitute whatever is considered good about religion with non religious work agencies.
2) Ensure that. there are sufficient calming and therapy initiatives to cover the whole population.
3) Ensure that no one is told what to do or believe through maintaining full democracy.

Perhaps you know better.

Men or women would not say in bed... "Oh, My God, Life is Beautiful."

1. There would be no Zeus or the 330 million Gods or imaginary people in the sky
  2. There would be a lot less superstition
  3. There would be less charity
  4. There will a lot less violence
  5. There would be less wars
  6. There would be no Christian crusades
  7. There would be child sacrifices by the Mayan, Incas, Aztecs or Teotihuacans or African tribes
  8. There would be no Jesus Krishna, Moses, Mohammed myths
  9. We would have No Pope, No swamis, No priests, No mullahs and No Rabis
  10. There would be no child and sex abuse in church
  11. People will be free thinkers
  12. Same sex marriages would be accepted and common
  13. Condom and birth control use would be common
  14. Shia and Sunni would be go at each other throats
  15. Northern Ireland and Ireland would be one country
  16. There would be peace in Palestine
  17. Nobody would give shit to Mecca or Jerusalem or Varanasi or the Vatican or the Patron Saints
  18. There would be peace in Arabic countries
  19. There would be no holocaust
  20. Possibly there would be no Israel
  21. America would be a happier place without all these assholes - Billy Graham, Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, Joel Olstein, John Piper, Harold Camping, Rick Warren, Mase, Ferd Haggard, Fred Phelps, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Myles Munroe, Paula White, Dwight L. Moody, Norman Vincent Peale, Charles R. Swindoll, Daryl Coley, John Hagee, Carl Barth, Smokie Norful, Anthony Compolo, Charles Stanley, Marvin Wnans, Arthur Blessitt, Gerardo, Marvin Sapp, Don Moen

Oh, there is much dirt that we would not have.....

While we concentrate greatly on the horrible things religions have accomplished , to be fair , we should also acknowledge the good things they have accomplished as well . May I suggest , many hospitals were established by religions , free food kitchens for the needy , sleep facilities , particularly when the weather is in the extremes , distribution of of free clothing , some establish useful programs to help people in need , such as , after school sports programs , AAA , and drug addiction rehabilitation programs . Like those of us here on agnostic.com we're not all good , and not all bad .

Yes these are all wonderful and they continue today, That is true religion or faith or belief or whatever. It is a community thought process. And it is good for those engaged in it. But it is NOT true in ideology.
I cherish the words Jesus is alleged to have said and they are so true. Now when religion interprets everything they use control So the spirit is wonderful but the god stuff is dangerous.

The world is full of some people trying to take advantage of other people. Religion is just one of many tools to do that, one of many.
So, most likely, same shit different day.
On the other hand I think things like Science, Maths, and any other endeavors alike would prosper considerably.

Science, Maths, logic, reason and democracy are our tools. Any others ?

Symbols would take on more meaning as individuals seek answers to WHY.
Rocks, water etc. become symbolic.

alon Level 6 July 19, 2019

It would be better, but given human history people would still find reasons to hate each other whether it be race or culture. People would still rape, steal, and murder each other. Greed would not go away. Look what greed has done to our country. In a nut shell, humanity was a terrible accident and when it is gone the planet and the Universe will be a better place.

I can only "imagine"

You really are not that limited.

if it weren't religion they would have figured out something else as oppressive

You mean like royalty? That is on its way out also.

The world would still be filled with people doing stupid shit because that's how humanity rolls but a lot less of it would be done in the name of God. It's a small win but I'll take it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:376322
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.