Agnostic.com

15 1

LINK Dutch ban on burqas and niqabs takes effect | News | Al Jazeera

The problem is that allows all members of the Muslim communities to claim being vilified.
Even men, who don't even wear niqabs or burqa, will claim that they are victimised and ostracised.

I just added a photo for contrast.

PontifexMarximus 8 Aug 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't like the government telling people what not to wear.

Dietl Level 7 Aug 2, 2019

I think normal citizens should walk around with bird cages over their heads to let the Muslims know how stupid they look.

I do not care what you wear or do not wear. It only becomes an issue where identification on a license or ID card would not show the actual person because that person appears as masked. This should be the only concern and it should be seen as such by all.

I must admit … I don't really care what people wear or don't wear. What I find interesting is that so many comments mention security issues to justify the ban on burqa etc. …

>security issues to justify the ban on burqa etc. …

Once you've masked your face the bank guard can't identify you. Ergo the security issues. At my bank, they don't want me to wear shades and my broad brim hat because they effectively mask my face from the overhead security cameras.

They say it is religious but here's the thing. I live in a multi-cultural area. There are lots of Muslims and we all get along. Nearly all of the small convenience stores are owned and run by Muslims. I have never once gone into a store where the lady at the counter is in a full burqa. Headscarf, yes but not a full face covering. I see burqas on the street but when it might reduce business they seem not so concerned.

Islam is a desth cult!
They create rules to control everything and everybody under their Sharia law!
It is a male dominated Fascist cult disguised as a religion!

The face coverings are extreme and an obvious problem in secure areas or driving.

The mere head coverings can be quite attractive.

And I remember Greek and Russian orthodox woman covering their hair in public and dressing in a very modest and dated manner for the time.

It is not a religious requirement in Islam to cover the entire body, including the face, it’s purely a cultural device to control women...invented by men who believe that women are their property. No civilised western country should allow face covering in public places, by anyone, if only for security reasons. Those women who say that they choose to dress in this oppressive and degrading manner have been brainwashed into believing that it is their religious duty to do so, by their own menfolk. We should never have allowed women to dress this way when living in the west in the first place...but at least some countries are now taking a stand, which will inevitably cause a backlash. When we visit Islamic countries we observe their rules of modest dress, arms covered, no shorts, no kissing in public etc. why can’t muslims observe our custom of not covering the face?

Apparently the authorities are finding it difficult to enforce and the police are concerned that a Muslim woman may be less likely to report a crime if she cannot enter a police station with her face uncovered.

It is a ban on having your head covered - so balaclava, motorcycle helmets, etc are also banned. May be seen by some as an attack on Muslim identity and by others as a public safety / identification issue.
If your personal beliefs do not fit with the law of the country you are in, best to move somewhere else that is more in line with your views.
That could apply to Muslims in Holland - gay men in Iran

Yeah coz a gay man would have no problem in coming to the USA from Iran

@273kelvin but he could walk out of Iran

They are being overly sensitive this is a security issue

I agree with the ban. It's a security issue.

If a bad person with their face covered robs, beats up, rapes or kills someone, they are impossible to identify.

I believe in folks right to wear what they want but in this case see an exception. Not being able to identify someone is a very real problem. As far as their claim that they are being victimized, what about the number of Muslim countries that put atheists to death. That's a pretty hollow charge that the poor dears can't cover their faces so people can identify them if a crime is committed but their religion promotes killing nonbelievers.

gearl Level 8 Aug 1, 2019

I totally agree with a ban on it. I don't care if they want to cover their bodies but not their faces. I have red the quaran and there is no reference to women covering their faces. There is a reference to both men and women to dress modestly. This is only a cultural habit to cover the faces of women though of by jealous men who are after power.

Good idea! Let them complain, who cares.

zesty Level 7 Aug 1, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:382486
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.