Agnostic.com

37 7

How do you deal with muscle cramps?

This morning I woke and sleepily, deliciously stretched. Ow! A painful Charlie horse seized my calf muscle. Typical.

Scrambling madly out of bed in pain, I leaned against a windowsill, deeply stretching the offending muscle. The cramp abated. But the muscle was sore afterward.

For the past five years, muscle cramps have plagued me, especially while hiking when I hammer my leg muscles. Also, got horrible foot cramps while swimming laps and driving.

Drinking Emergen-C electrolyte replacement powder in water immediately stops my muscle cramps. So, I carry Emergen-C packets in my car and pack.

Magnesium and calcium supplements taken morning and night decreased my muscle cramps by 95%. Drinking lots of water helps. Two years ago, I realized I wasn't eating enough salt. Salting my food at the table helped, too.

Unfortunately, muscle cramps increase as we get older.

What works for you?

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

37 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Keep up on my electrolytes and use a thc/cbc cream for all muscle pain.

1of5 Level 8 Sep 11, 2019

I say "Cramp begone! In the name of the Lord, I rebuke thee!" Because they say you can never get too much exorcise.

Check your Magnesium dosage. It may need increasing. Also for better absorption, use Gluconate or Glycinate forms. You can also find it in topical applications. ❤️

I had the same problem, and was told by my doctor to start taking magnesium supplements. It seems one of my diabetes medications depletes the magnesium in my body. So, I need the supplements to make up for it. I also take a leg cramp medication, before I go to bed. That, plus the magnesium has made me leg-cramp free for several years now. But, to be on the safe side, I keep a chair next to my bed. So, that if I get a leg cramp, I can support myself on the chair-back, with one foot on the floor. Then, I force the sole of the other foot squarely against the floor, and stand there a few minutes. That usually makes it go away.

Mine are mostly due to spinal nerve root compression and respond to to a quick small dose (approx 2 mg) of cyclobenzaprine. The most severe spasms strike in the dead of night and are internal, not limb associated. Without the relaxer, I will often pass out.

Zster Level 8 Sep 12, 2019

If hiking in hot weather especially salt is good, alway take a packet or two of potato crisps, or a high salt snack like that, with you, but don't keep doing it if you are having a rest day in the cool.

I’d like to reiterate what @Patchoullijulie said about magnesium. You def need slow release versions. The regular mg oxide is a laxative and tends to go right through you without being absorbed. Mg glucanate is mostly glucanate (sugar) and despite the huge pills often don’t contain much mg to start with.

My dad swears by bananas

Yes; the Potassium in bananas. I make sure I eat them before a long hike and/or bike ride.

I swear by bananas, come to think of it, I swear by all fruit, food, and anything else, damn it!

@Archeus_Lore stop swearing damn you! 😀

CALM, a powder you put in warm or room temp water, it fizzes. I have TMJ and when stressed clench my teeth at night. causes dizziness headache and tense muscles I swish it in my mouth and it helps in a minute or so. Leg cramps have gone in about 5 minutes. it has magnesium, but allegedly the effervescent form helps assimilate it. Have used it for years.
PS I have found salt helps too.

I take a potassium supplement.

I'm getting those leg cramps more and more as I get older. The weird thing is they usually come while stretching. I know I need to drink more water...

I deal with them, usually, by popping out of bed and walking it off. Stretching them at the time of the cramp is too painful. Stretch after. I rarely get them at the time I am active... It's always stretching in bed in the middle of the night or in the early morning.

The main thing is hydration. Drink plenty of fluids.

Cashews, peanuts, nuts....good dietary sources of magnesium?

twill Level 7 Sep 15, 2019

There are a couple of moves that are guaranteed to give me a Charlie horse so I just avoid them. I don't get bad muscle cramps. When I have muscle stiffness from exercising I take it as a private reward for the hard worm - they never last more than 2 days.

Bananas and potato chips! Potassium and Salt! It works well. I haven't been awakened since I began that combination and it's been 5 years now.

Drink water. Muscle cramps are often caused by dehydration

@TheoryNumber3

It's more complicated than that. I guzzle water all day long.

@LiterateHiker You have my sympathies. I know how painful they can be.

My cramps are at their worst when I'm trying to sleep. I vape medical marijuana and it works. I also take magnesium tablets.

When I get a muscle cramp, the first thing I do, and you have to be very fast, is grab the area and put pressure on the muscle . . . this prevents it from cramping completely, because by putting pressure on it, you limit how much it can cramp. Often, that prevents the long term damage you would normally experience . . . usually I am able to be quick enough to stop it, and experience no long-term effect. Himalayan salt might be worth a try too.

Celtic sea salt would be better I think as it has the full compliment of minerals where Himalayan is missing some that are easily leached out.

Do you really want my opinion?

@PondartIncbendog

Sure.

@LiterateHiker I stay in bed twenty four hours a day. Then no cramps.

Take it easy, don't hike so much would probably help, he, he.

@Jolanta

Today I ran for the first time since breaking a toe on 5/24. Three miles.

Man, it felt good! Feels like flying. I'm BACK!

@LiterateHiker I hope no cramps for you my friend.

@LiterateHiker I haven't ran anywhere except to the bathroom in many a year. LOL!!! Especially since my surgery. Nerve damage.

I will try to keep those in mind.

I stretch about 30 minutes a day. I especially contract and then stretch muscles that tend to cramp. I think that helps.

@Stephanie99

Me, too. I stretch after exercise and in the shower.

I have the same kind of cramps. I'll stretch in the morning and the calf knots up. Standing and flexing the leg always makes it go away. I eat plenty of fruits and veggies and water. I don't have any fix for it though. Sorry.
Maybe it is age. I didn't have them when I was younger with the same active life style.

Muscle cramps have several causes.

Most of the time it is due to an imbalance of certain electrolytes: Potassium, Calcium, or Magnesium. These 3 ions are what form the electrical potential across the cell membranes which causes the contraction of the muscle cells. An imbalance in these ions can cause that mechanism to misfire. The "leading" cause of this imbalance is dehydration. This is why long distance running events typically have foods high in these elements at the finish, along with plenty of appropriate fluids. In extreme cases of severe cramps due to dehydration, rehydration with IV fluids is usually indicated. However, care must be taken with fluid ingestion. There is such a thing as too much water.

There are possible other causes. Nerve tissue compression in the spine or to the nerves leading to the site of cramping. Circulatory compromise to the site, which includes age related narrowing of the blood vessels. Current medications, such as diuretics (furosemide / lasix, hydroclorothiazide, for example), or channel blockers like diltiazem or verapamil (CA blockers) can cause imbalances in your electrolytes.

This is by no means a full explanation of all possible causes. Should the cramps persist or be unbearably painful, seek medical attention. If they are associated with swelling or redness, seek emergency care.

@Rignor

Thank you for your informative reply.

@LiterateHiker no prob!!.. not much about how to fix it, but there's some info to help

There are supplements you can take. My sister has severe leg cramps (lasting several minutes), taking the supplements help her a lot. I don't remember the brand but she gets them at Sprouts (Whole Foods, Walmart, and probably GNC also have them).

I had these cramps often when I was super lean from training too often. I ate 1-2 bananas a day. I found with the calf cramp that if I put weight on it immediately and pinched right beneath my nose, then it abated.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:400835
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.