Agnostic.com

24 5

LINK Flu shot is critical, but only half of American adults plan to get it - ABC News

You have been warned. I got my flu shot and it was free, but I work for a hospital so it was mandatory unless I want to work with a mask on for the next six months.

HippieChick58 9 Oct 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

With regular hand washing, and doing everything to keep my immune system strong, I can't remember the last time I had a flu shot, all the while remaining flu free.

To each their own but I’ve never believed in “free” anything...there’s always a price. So that right there makes me question the propaganda on “flu” shots.
For me, Nope won’t get that poison ☠️
I’d rather eat well, get my sleep and build my immune system the clean way.

And pass it on to those who are immunocompromised? Thanks.

@GreatNani you’re welcome and hard to pass the flu on when you don’t have it and have never had it at least not since I was in grade school. Not worried about getting it either.

Another propaganda wack job

@darthfaja ,
she makes perfect sense.
you just exposed yourself as a brainwashed idiot.

@callmedubious
You sound just like a Xian trying to convince me there’s a god, except science proves vaccine works

You have zero reliable data to show me otherwise
I can supply you with 100s of research articles that prove vaccine works

You have nothing but an uneducated opinion

Step up
Show me what you think you know
And I’ll rebut everything you have with scientific facts

You are 100% wrong and I can prove it

I’m not brain washed
I’m highly educated in the field
What ya got?

build my immune system the clean way.

Um.... no words.

@Burner what are you so worried about? Damn if you get the shot then stop sweating the rest of us who don’t. It’s not like you’ll get the flu...you sound like your a preacher lol and there is a way to build your immune system without any poisonous shots.

Got mine yesterday, also for free.

All you Southerners, Publix pharmacies are giving out FREE flu shots, with proof of insurance.
That includes Medicare and Medicaid.
It's $45 if you don't have insurance.

They're also giving everyone who gets a shot a $10 Publix gift card.

I have to get on a plane next Saturday.
There was NO way in hell I was going into an airport and getting on a plane without one.

Get your damn flu shots, people.
Even if you get a different strain of flu, it won't be as severe as it would be if you didn't get the shot at all.
Don't be stubborn.
Protect yourself, AND the people around you.

This is why I vaccinate, to protect others. Working for a specialty hospital, I brush up against people who deal with immunocompromised children. I get my vaccinations to protect all the babies.

@HippieChick58 I don't work in a hospital anymore, but I do it for much the same reasons. I've got two small humans with me daily.
Plus, they bring home all sorts of nastiness, daily.
LOL

I can’t believe how much ignorance is below here.
Anyone who doesn’t get a flu shot is absolutely idiotic.

“Hey I figured out there’s no God but I’m totally going to ignore proven science!!!“
Morons

You ever watch someone die from influenza? It’s horrible.

Influenza is horribly deadly, Jesus Christ look up the statistics of the Spanish Flu

🙄

Thank you!!!
I am fucking appalled at the abject ignorance being exhibited by some of the
members here.
But hey, as I said in another post, gotta thin the herd somehow.

@powder
Then you obviously know nothing at all
There is zero logic in your statement
None
It shows you know nothing about the vaccination or logical thinking

@powder
We all take out all sorts of insurance policies for things that never happen.
house insurance, car insurance, life insurance, etc..
2018/2019 data isn’t all in yet, but if you can read you can look it up and educate yourself.

I am not sure it is critical at all. Who knows what poisons are in that.

[cdc.gov] m sure you country has its own stats, but at least in terms of how "critical" is actually defined, the flu is critical. The vaccine prevents or lessens the severity of enough cases that its critical too. Its your choice, but i hope you never get the flu (influenza, not just a reeally bad cold, which some people generalize as "the flu" ). Life is full of "poisons", so just pick yours, i guess.

@Burner except it’s not poison

@darthfaja that why i used quotes. Lots of people think their perception actually matters.

@Burner
The best part is when she gets the flu she’s going to turn to medicine for help

That’s always the part that baffles me

They don’t trust medicines opinions to prevent the disease but they always come for help when they get sick.
Why is medicines opinion matter after you get sick but not before?

Morons

@darthfaja Well how do you know, after all when you take some medication for some ailment or other it usually has some side effect and you have to take more for that side effect, so yes I would say that they are "poisons" in a lot of medications and probably in flu vaccines too.

@Jolanta how do I know?
It’s called Science
That’s how I know

Medicines do not “usually” have side effects. No one in medicine writes medicines to counteract side effects. If a medicine has a side effect then it is stopped.

You’re just completely wrong on everything you said.

@darthfaja ... i forgot to add "why is insurance so expensive when they only cover you when youre sick" except vaccines are free. And going to the ER much less being hospitalized is $$$$. (Yes @jolanta isnt from the US)

@Burner
Insurance does not only cover you when you are sick
In fact all health insurance differ free physicals and free health screenings

So don’t go to the ER
Go to your doctor or an Urgent care
The ER is more money because it’s for Emergencies

@darthfaja yeah i don't think my "tone" came through. My point is that Americans bitch about the cost of actual insurance, but refuse a documented way to reduce risk, and reduce costs, and save everyone money in the l9ng run. (Do it for the children!). As you said, people may have qualms about a shot, but no qualms about the medicines and procedures in the hospital.

@Burner
I don’t know man
The system certainly needs an overhaul
But I don’t know how to fix it

I’d like to see health insurance for all with the ability to add in a la cart premium aspect for additional cost

@darthfaja Of course they have side effects. That is why some people are constipated when they take some medicines and so on, and that is also called science.

@Jolanta
You said they usually have side effects
That means they have them a lot
That’s not true
They rarely have side effects
In fact almost never

You also said doctors write new prescriptions to fix the side effects this is also not true

@darthfaja I have several friends that are doctors and they say it is so. I also have friends that are on different medication and they take one pill for one thing, anther pill because they have some other problems with the first pill, etc, etc. So please do not tell me it is not true.

@Jolanta
It’s not true and your friends are bad doctors.

@darthfaja What you a doctor? Or do you know my friends who have this problems?

In the 1918 flu pandemic up to a hundred million people died. I expect those anti vaxxers would change their tunes PDQ if something like that happens again.

The VA gives me a free flu shot paid for by you taxpayers.

Thank y’all kindly.

Good man!!!

@powder you need to do some larnin'

Got mine, hooray for evidenced based medicine.

One persons evidence is another persons poison, he,he.

@Jolanta only if you’re crazy

I get one every year and it has not killed me yet. Some think the purpose of the shot is to kill you and get rid of people but if they did that they could not sell us anything. Remember that we are now the product.

If people want to refuse getting the flu shot, I'm fine with that.
I think they're stupid AF (unless they have a legit medical reason for not),
and I won't lament any of them dying from the flu.
Gotta thin the herd somehow. If some folks want to do it by being
stupid and ignoring the science, thanks in advance.

I did get the flu once- a year id had the vaccine. It was horrible and even if the shot would only reduce my odds of getting the flu by 20%, id do it.

@powder 20% is a low number, but lets go with it. Essentially free insurance? I mean, how many of us buy a 99 cent bottle of ibuprofen and never use it? Case by case, the benefits of the flu shot may be none, or may be minor, or may save you or your kids life, but its almost zero risk, and all reward.

I'm in my early 50's. I don't get flu shots. I take garlic to help ward off flu and colds.

I hear it wards off vampires too, so bonus.

i'm not getting one either. i am not anti-vax and i am not afraid that the flu shot causes the flu, and furthermore i am in favor of the flu vaccine. i am even in a high-risk range, being 67 and a half years old. but i have ptsd because i awoke during eye surgery at the age of three, and remember doing so. i cannot make myself have this shot, and i am even delaying surgery that i might really need, even thougn logically i know i may need it, because of the terror caused by the ptsd. this is not a recommendation for anyone to follow my lead, not at all. i just can't do it.

g

What a nightmare. Sorry that happened to you.

@pasha-one-nine thank you. i'm trying to get past it with my shrink but it ain't easy!

g

the only time i had the flu (must admit it was mild) in the last 20 yrs was the year when i got my 1st & only flu shot ( around 10 yrs ago).

Curious, were you diagnosed with the flu, what were your symptoms?

@Burner ,
i had the symptoms, mainly a higher temp, that i wouldn't get from a cold.

I do not believe a flu shot is critical! Never had one. Never get the flu. 86yo

weldy Level 4 Oct 5, 2019

Believe?
Oh it’s critical
It doesn’t matter what you “believe”
Scientific facts are what matter

I’ve never had HIV but I’m still going to wear conforms

Yeah, but I heard flu shots cause autism and sometimes AIDS.

Thats what happens when you could of had a V8. The flu vaccine only causes autism.

One time it turned me into a newt, but I got better

@darthfaja It's a fair cop.

I’m forced to get one working in a hospital, I don’t like that I don’t have a choice.

Of course you have a choice. You could choose to work somewhere else that
doesn't require it.

I also work in a hospital, or for a hospital as we're about a block away. If we cannot get the flu shot we have to be masked in the office for 6 months. I think that would be worse than the flu. I got mine the first day it was available. Also having grandchildren that I am horribly fond of and see frequently, I acknowledge they are tiny germ factories and the shot helps all of us stay well.

@KKGator thank you for that unknown option

@sandrarocks83 You're welcome.

Sorry, NOT sorry.

I am 51, I work in retail, have never had the flu nor a flu shot - until this past Tuesday. I have no fear of getting the flu but my dad is 76 & his girlfriend will be 86 in November and she has Parkinson's disease along with all the complications that accompany that horrible disease. I will do everything in my power to keep them safe.
Fyi - you don't even feel the shot unlike some which burn like hell.

Thank you for thinking of others.

I personally believe that the flu shot is ineffective, however I did get one because I have a lot of risk factors. I also have received the pneumonia shots since you usually die from pneumonia as a result of the flu.

Sepsis, Dehydration, respiratory failure, meningitis, and pneumonia

I have never had a flu shot and until last January I never had the flu. I did not take the flu shot because I'm allergic to duck eggs and for years no one could tell me whether the shot was made from duck or chicken eggs. Discussions with my doctor resulted in a determination that since I had never had either the shot or the flu I was just as well off not taking it. After my January 1919 bout with the flu I will stand in line to take the flu shot this year. My doctor's pretty sure that they don't use duck eggs. If they do I'm going to take it at the pharmacy next door to the clinic so they can take care of me.

You can order an egg free vaccination

I think people who don't get a flu shot are not good citizens (unless they have a specific medical issue) there is NO SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE FLU SHOTS ARE HARMFUL !!!!!!!

blzjz Level 7 Oct 12, 2019

Kennedy et al just won a HUUUGE court case on the grounds that there has been NO quality control going on in the vaccine industry for 32 years, ergo they cannot be made mandatory!! YAY!!! If someone who is an adult wants to get squalene, mercury and a bizarre array of organic contaminants shot into their body, and they are fully informed of the outright dangers involved in it, then I say fine, let them do it!! To me, it's just a little bit of extra Chlorine being dumped into the shallow end of the gene pool! Knock yourselves out, chumps!

Randy

More dribble from the uneducated

@darthfaja

Yes, your words ARE dribble, aren't they? Vaccines do work as claimed, some of the time, but more often than not, they cause grave harm, especially to babies and young children. So go and get all of the various shots you want to have pumped into your body, at the least I don't think that they will make you any more stupid than you already are right now, but they might! They certainly won't make you any smarter!

@Logician
No my words are not dribble

“More often than not, they cause grave harm”
Untrue
That’s just completely made up
Show me one statistic that proves that ridiculous statement

You’re calling me stupid
Yet you promote lies and non-sense

Let’s see your data verifying your claims. It doesn’t exist.

“More often than not”
Your statement claims that more children get grave harm from vaccinations than get benefits
That’s interesting

The only cause of death from a vaccine is anaphylaxis. You have just as much a chance of having anaphylaxis to food as you do any medication.

Here’s real data based off science
Not your “belief”

4.1 Anaphylaxis following vaccination

Many vaccines have been determined to rarely cause anaphylaxis. The risk of anaphylaxis is less than two cases per million doses of vaccines administered to children and adolescents [29]. While anaphylaxis is serious and can be fatal, death and other complications can be prevented with rapid treatment using effective medications including epinephrine, corticosteroids and beta-agonists. A 10-year review of claims to the US National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program noted five cases of death from anaphylaxis after vaccinations [30]. Another study published in 2003 using electronic health record databases found that after 7,644,049 doses of vaccination in children and adolescents, there were five possible cases of vaccine associated anaphylaxis and none resulted in death [29]. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) recommends screening patients for contraindications and precautions, including allergy history, prior to vaccination [31]. However, since anaphylaxis following vaccination is not always predictable or preventable, ACIP also recommends that healthcare providers be prepared to treat medical emergencies including anaphylaxis if they occur [31].

I’ve had all my shots
Gave myself a flu shot yesterday

I was wondering what you were talking about, lawsuit wise. I found this but nothing about a specific suit. [time.com]

@darthfaja
If vaccines are so safe, then why are the pharmaceutical companies that make them immune from lawsuits?? OOPS!! How is it that the autism rates have gone sky high, almost in lock step with more and more vaccines being scheduled? A nephew of a guy I know saw first hand how a VERY bright and energetic 3 year old kid got sick and withdraw into a shell about 45 minutes after he was vaccinated! He became almost non verbal, when earlier in the day, before the shot, he was quite talkative. His mother said that it was the shot that did it and vowed that he'd never get another one unless it was over her dead body! Two years later, he was finally beginning to act normally again
The companies that put this garbage out admit to the kinds of crap they put into their concoctions because they have to. They would never tell you on their own.

@Logician
Seriously pulling the autism card?
Look at the data
You have zero proof
Only speculation

I get mine almost every year!

Awesome! Thank you!

Critical? Sure. I have never had a flu shot. Got it five years ago and guess what? I felt reborn. Cells died and I excreted them and feel absolutely fantastic.

Hii

moll Level 1 Oct 5, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:410630
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.