Agnostic.com

75 17

Why so many posts about God?

This is a website for atheists and agnostics. As an atheist since age 13, I don't believe in an invisible being that resides somewhere beyond the clouds.

For me, it's not up for debate. At 13, I realized the Bible is just stories written by men.

I'm tired of hearing about an imaginary god.

Your thoughts?

LiterateHiker 9 Oct 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

75 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I skip most of those posts. Just not interested in it.

My thoughts exactly. A lot of "What if's" Who cares? Go to theology class if you want a debate god or no god. Like you, LiterateHiker, I have been a non believer since my teen years.

Let's talk more about the Devil! Satan.

twill Level 7 Oct 21, 2019

My sentiments as well. I am more than 55 years past religion. Thoughts about it are not part of my life. Seems like a lot of members on this site are still struggling with the issue.

It looks to me like our site has recently become a target of insurgents. Every social media site I use has seen an upswing in questionable activity.

@Allamanda lots of new accounts here, asking questions that challenge agnosticism and atheism. On Facebook, lots of "friend" requests from people with whom I have zero connections. On dating sites, lots of contacts initiated by obviously fake accounts. I see an increase in all of these.

Some of us went through a struggle letting go of the belief in a god and some are still grappling with the aftermath of that belief. It took me over a decade to go from leaving organized religion to not believing in any kind of god; and, I am sure there are those who are here who are still in such a process and they need supportive voices along the way.

Because we are persecuted by some of them

bobwjr Level 10 Oct 22, 2019

Like many agnostics and atheists, I find gods and religions fascinating. Clearly, that's not true for all agnostics and athiests. However, I think a site called Agnostic.com should have room for discussions about the spectrum of beliefs that fall within an agnostic worldview. Those discussions would be pretty empty without the mention of gods or religions.

Also, you can't begin to discuss, understand, and appreciate human history or current human behavior, social structure, government, visual art, or music without describing beliefs in gods and religions.

I tend to think that, we, Atheists and Agnostics, seem to post/debate about this completely Invisible and Totally Imaginary god thing simply for, A) a bit of amusement, B) to elicit the thoughts, etc, others like ourselves, C) perhaps we either suspect or know that there are Faithfools hiding amongst us and are trying to either draw them out or, better yet, plant the seeds of doubt into their minds.

Because we don't hike?

this is gold. seems like thats what the point of the site is, yea?

@Rooster128 Non-hikers?

@PondartIncbendog talking about the existence of god, or hiking.

Religions is by far the most popular topic on Atheist sites. Thank doG I am agnostic and not Obsessive with it.

If you can't prove God does not exist, then that makes us all agnostic. It's just in degrees.

But there are so many one true gods!

Your problem is you always try to make sense. 😉
Agreed 😁 just kidding, it's not really a problem. 🤪

It's a website dedicated to folks who don't believe in god. The website is due to the disbelief in the deity. God is what the website revolves around. To not talk about god would be to not talk about the elephant in the room. In our world god is a pretty big deal.

@sentientone I don't think any topic is off limits. Threads are easily skipped or glossed over that aren't of interest to the individual.

Agreed.

I was wondering the same thing... I have skipped most of them. Are the posts from newly, unconverted agnostics or atheists?

Same here

bobwjr Level 10 Oct 21, 2019

Maybe because society keeps throwing the concept of God in our faces constantly. Maybe because even the very concepts of atheism and agnosticism are defined in relation to one's approach to the concept of God.

So, why are you making another post about God?

When you are mentally damaged as a child by the forced teachings by overpowering religious adults the damage is permanent. Even if you realize as an adult that it was all complete fantasy presented to you as a child to be the absolute truth the damage does not go away because your trust in the public authority is completely destroyed . It made me very angry and I will never get over it in my lifetime. What has to happen in the United States is the outlawing of child indoctrination and the criminal prosecution of the the child molesting religious to stop the senseless brainwashing of children by the unabated religious.

God, I don't know...

The term atheist and agnostic still imply God, in the sense that we don't believe in certain deities. I'm not sure the "God" conversation is going to go away any time soon.

Do the terms agnostic and atheist imply god or God?

@yvilletom my understaning is that the term atheist although in the literal sense means a rejection of all deities in the western culture it really only related to the Christian God. After all the religious establishment only concerned itslef with people rejecting their God, they were more than happy for people to reject others!!!!!!

I see this social media as a forum for like minded individuals to vent about the frustrations of being atheist in a society where the separation between church and state is not enforced. I’ve started to even believe it might be dangerous. I noticed you #ed all the god and no god forums. There are groups on here that are political or just for fun. Try those and avoid the others if they are troublesome for you.

Cinco Level 5 Oct 23, 2019

Sure, two atheists would have no need to discuss god. However, not everyone on this site is there yet. Leaving one's reliance on a god belief is a growing process & so I think some tolerance should be exercised.

Perhaps many have nagging doubts, and are trying to see if there are others who share their nagging doubts. Not everybody has identified as atheist or agnostic since they were 13. Some are relatively new at shucking off the 'demons' of their youth, and upbringing.

For me, it is political. I put no energy into religion in my life. However for a lot of people it is cathartic, if you were a victim of indoctrination and are only now reasoning your way out, that takes recovery time.

To me, I live in a world just dripping in religious iconography, with preset holidays in the government based upon those religious ideas, so if I do NOT speak up, no one would ever know people who do not believe even exist, it would just be drowned out by the endless barrage from religion.

Sharing the best ways to confront the arguments one gets from the religious is of great benefit to younger atheists.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:416642
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.