Agnostic.com

72 7

Is hope realistic?

What is the secular justification for hope, in the face of existential angst?

skado 9 Oct 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

72 comments (51 - 72)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hopeless is salvation.

...hope being unbearable?

I don't know who or what gives the secularist seal of approval for opinions, I would say that hope is an emotional term, irrational and can be attached to ones attitude on objects and processes as any other emotion may be. I would think the phrase "reasons for hope" as oxymoronic. Hope, as other emotion arises unbidden and often contrary with what might be reasoned.

Given the circumstances, hope can be cruel or fantastic, but hope is never realistic.

I hope that tomorrow I will wake up, and my little dog too. (she's older than me in dog years)
I hope I will get some things in the house & yard accomplished
I hope my friends remain healthy.
I hope I remain upright & away from the ER
I think most people think these kinds of things every single day, and they are realistic.

Keep hoping.

The secular justification for hope:
Everything is temporary. Change is inevitable.
ergo: If things are bad now they will eventually change to be better.

Is that reliably true, or just another comforting fairy tale? Do things always get better for everyone?

@Seeker3CO
That’s what I was thinking.

Better for all, or for a few?

That they should change could be a given, that they might turn for the better would be hope.

the realistic character of "a" Hope is bound to its circumstances and expectations. perhaps existential angst is the justification for hope.

What's existential angst?

That would be suffering anxiety from the belief that one's own life and life in general is essentially meaningless.
It would seem to me that coming to believe in the meaninglessness of existence can only cause angst in so far as it is a disappointment based on one's identity that requires that some things possess or are given an absolute meaning. I would say my only personal anxiety would come from the thoughts and behaviors have been given me based on standards and biases that I never rationally accepted, only inherited from my social environment.

Hope is a description of a perceived feeling, so it is as real as our feelings. It is a word we use to describe this common feeling, or its absence, and in objectifying a feeling, we can address the feeling to our cohorts.

Most importantly, referencing 'hope' is a means to identify a desired condition or unwanted problem. This identification process is important because describing an issue is the first critical step in addressing and, hopefully, solving that issue.

For instance, one can have hope in the face of existential angst. Identifying existential angst defines the problem as the frustration of angst caused by framing one's personae in a context of the philosophy of existentialism. However, existentialism is merely one of many philosophical views and one can easily choose some other philosophical, or scientific perspective. Our intellectual plasticity gives us the freedom of what notion to think about. Got a bad feeling from existentialism? Think about something else. It's not that hard. Unless your obsessive. Then you might want to try some entheogens.

It's as real as despair.

Hope is what you want to make of it; it is fully subjective. Some do not see the point of hope and commit suicide, or live miserable lives. Some see hope everywhere.
There is a memorable quote by Bertolt Brecht:
“Those who are weak don't fight. Those who are stronger might fight for an hour. Those who are stronger still might fight for many years. The strongest fight their whole life. They are the indispensable ones.”
In terms of hope, those that are weak have little hope. The strongest live always with hope. Everybody else fall somewhere in between.

Fuck hope.

And I don't mean that whiny blond asshole from FFXIII.

...sorry I should probably be more specific...

Hopelessness is one of the symptoms of depression. To have hope is an attitude, a looking toward a good outcome or state. It doesn’t substitute for action, nor negate the need to act, but it may inspire action, and motivate continued acts to fulfill the hope. I cannot imagine an activist without hope. It is the essence of perseverance.
‘Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul, and sings the tune without the words, and never stops, at all.’ Emily Dickinson

When it comes to the " In the sure and certain Hope of Resurrection, etc, etc," as spouted by Priests etc, at a graveside of a person being buried, I would say that it IS 100% UNREALISTIC in that NO hope can EVER be Sure and Certain.
But, when something goes wrong around the house, i.e. there is an unexpected power failure, and we often hope to ourselves that it IS not something like a massive problem like the electrical wiring circuits of the whole house have suddenly failed, then, Yes, hoping that it IS not just your problem can be realistic, or, even buying a Used car and hoping that the mechanic inspecting it on your behalf finds not faults, major or minor, for example, can also be realistic.
But Hey, that's my thoughts and opinions on Hope.

Without hope what do you have? We need a reason to go on else...

The world is full of despair. I offer hope to my friend and loved ones when things fall apart and seem hopeless.

If it's short term in the long run it all turns out the same for everybody

I hope so or I'm fucked.

Only if it is realistic hope based on realistic expectations.

What,you never bought a lotto ticket?

@AnneWimsey Sure, but I was delusional. 😵

@AnneWimsey

I have never bought one. Am I wierd?

@moosepucky Yes! 🤣

I have found that hope as a noun is useful and important. Hope as a verb on the other hand is damaging and pointless. Again this is what I have found for myself.

Many things are unrealistic. However positive thinking (ie. hope) can lead to changes.

There are a range of different things that can realistically happen - from very bad to very good. They are not all equally likely, but if there is a meaningful chance that they might happen, then they are a possibility.

Hope is just a desire to see a better 'possible option' than a worse one - and REALISTIC hope is that desire tempered by a meaningful understanding of the true probabilities.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:419471
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.