Agnostic.com

40 11

Winter hiking survival. Your ideas?

"We're all getting older," my hiking partner said. "What if someone has a stroke, heart attack or breaks a leg? In winter, they would freeze to death waiting for help. We may not be able to carry them out."

"Good point," I replied. "I will get my fire starter kit from my backpack and put it in my day pack. Also, I carry a reflective survival blanket, first aid kit, down jacket and raincoat year round. And straps for making a litter or sling."

Survival gear lives in the bottom of my pack.

My fire starter kit:

1. Two votive candles.
  2. Matches in a separate ziploc bag.
  3. Small lighter.
  4. Dryer lint for kindling.

Of course, we use micro-spikes and snowshoes.

I bring extra clothes and a lightweight down comforter in a stuff bag. Pack extra mittens in case mine get wet.

Any other ideas?

LiterateHiker 9 Oct 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

40 comments (26 - 40)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We got my son who travels deep in our mountains a GPS that transmits his coordinates when he needs a mayday. He asked for it for xmas and it really wasn't very expensive.

Hopefully you'll never have to use any of it

Unity Level 7 Oct 29, 2019

@Unity

Guess what I hand out the most to people on the trail?

1. Benadryl. Surprise! There are wasps and hornets in the woods.

2. Insect repellent. "We didn't think about bugs," idiot parents say. Meanwhile, their kids are covered with mosquito bites.

3. My spare jacket. One woman we occasionally hike with often forgets her jacket.

@Unity

Actually, I use my first aid kit often. People get hurt. I'm the only person who brings a first aid kit.

Good Luck... godspeed... Well humanspeed.

A small bottle of hand sanitizer is handy because it's mostly alcohol and burns with a blue flame. But I think you have everything covered. Just try and stay dry.

@ADKSparky

I squeezed a small bottle of hand sanitizer into my first aid kit.

Lot of great ideas but how much can one carry,,load could be divided up with both having same basics but divide the extras up

@RoyMillar

With the women's group, I'm the only person who brings a first aid kit. We are all self-sufficient. We all bring our own lunch, water, gear and clothing.

How much weight can you carry? That depends on your weight, fitness, distance to go, and elevation gain.

I weigh 113 lbs. Backpacking with a guy, my backpack is 36-40 lbs. We divide up the load (tent, food, sleeping bags, mats, stove, pan, etc.)

Day pack: 15-25 lbs. It's heavier in the winter with more gear and clothes. I bring a metal thermos of hot tea.

There's a lot of good suggestions here I believe you had it covered pretty well to begin with, as for me here in the mountains of Lake county Ohio I throw another log on the fire and see what's on Netflix.

As someone that taught freezing injury in the Air Force, it looks like you have most of your bass covered. Make sure that someone knows where you are going and about when you expect to return and that they have the PROPER level of concern when you do not return.

Don't go on dangerous or lengthy hikes in the winter

@Happy_Killbot

In the winter, we only day hike 5-8 miles total.

I don't like snow camping.

Mine for hiking = a Swag, a cup, a billy for boiling water or making a meal in, a good sharp knife and a spoon, a decent hat that offers plenty of shade to the head and neck, 2 boxes of matches and a pair of decent solid soled boots and some strong but light string to make snares to catch a meal.

Yeah, stay at home during blizzards, hot chocolate and some good reading.

Magnesium fire starter
Compass
What3words app-has the world divided into 10'x10' grids. If you have cell signal/GPS you can relay where you are very easily
Left over panel marker from my army days (honest, I have no idea where that came from)
Duct tape can fix many things or cover blisters
A good knife, don't get stuck like the guy in 127 hours

@Surchin, @MsHoliday, @Justjoni, @Robert_2001, @Mostly_Harmless, @CutieBeauty, @DenoPenno, @RichCC, @ShadowAmicus, @Dougl35534

My First Aid Kit lives in my pack.

QR topical powder to stop bleeding.
Assorted band aids
Moleskin for blisters
Ibuprofen
Benadryl tablets to stop allergic reactions. Most people don't think about wasp stings.
Sterile gauze pads and paper tape
Duct tape (wrapped around my hiking pole)
Emergen-C for muscle cramps
Hydrogen peroxide, small bottle
Neosporin antibacterial ointment.
Saline eye drops
Tweezers
Safety pins
Bacitracin zinc ointment for wounds.
Folding knife.
Mirror (for getting something out of your eye, and signaling).
Asthma inhaler.
Paper and pen for leaving notes.
Water purification tablets.

Get the knife that has a saw. The lemon zester would take way more than 127 hours!

@LiterateHiker
One thing I haven't seen anybody mention is a light -- not necessarily for emergencies but for any time you're stuck in the dark, especially on a trail. A little battery operated LED would be enough.

And always remember one piece of advice: 'When in doubt, stay put if you can'.
It's a lot easier to be found if they don't have to chase you.

@RichCC

I did not list everything in my day pack.

I always carry a headlamp, Mighty Bright LED carabiner flashlight, and extra batteries.

@LiterateHiker My SAR friend always carried a little LED on his key chain. He seldom had an itinerary when he was called out and he never knew what he might have on him when it came up. Ha, ha.

And speaking of staying put, I have to relay an old story:

One of the scariest stories I ever heard was from Grand Canyon Park Service guys about 40 years ago.
According the story a lady got separated from her group down a side canyon. She found an empty beer bottle and a seep and discovered if she left the bottle under the seep overnight it would almost fill. The rangers said she was too far in and would have died if she'd tried to walk out.
Apparently any she ended up going every direction she could on a beer bottle worth of water and still make it back to the seep. It was 2 weeks before they found her but she kept her head and survived.

I'm not sure how many people could have done it. I'm sure I would have tried to walk out and died.

@RichCC

All of my purses have a Mighty Bright LED carabiner flashlight attached to the shoulder strap.

It's surprising how often I use it. Dark stairs. Reading a menu. Unlighted parking areas.

@LiterateHiker I got this out of my Wilderness Medicine textbook, hydrogen peroxide is not needed for anything as it is not good for wounds

@Robert_2001

Last year in the woods, my hiking partner Karen got a staph infection in her shin that took three courses of antibiotic to eradicate.

Her doctor said if she had immediately washed the wound with hydrogen peroxide, it would not have become infected. "Only use hydrogen peroxide *once," he said.

@LiterateHiker Simple soap and water is best for injuries in the wilderness. Pic is page 442 of Auerbach's Wilderness Medicine, published 2017. "Hydrogen peroxide is injurious
to deep tissues and should not be used as an irrigant."
(Too much time doing and training this stuff while in the Army)

@Robert_2001 I wouldn't use iodine in your kit for similar reasons to hydrogen peroxide-both kill the tissue trying to heal the wound. 🧗♂️

@Surchin The iodine in the kit was not for wound irrigation. I was a member of Fleet Surgical Team 2 in the Navy.

Stay inside.

These last for hours.

@azzow2

What is it?

@LiterateHiker Hand Warmer

@azzow2

I've got hand warmers in my car. Never used them.

@LiterateHiker I have not use the electric ones, the ones that run on kerosene or lighter fluid are very efficient.

Yes but you do have to be a bit careful. During a camping trip -20f a friend decided to have use one (lighter fluid) between the sleeping bag and his chest. He woke up with a rather severe burn.

You've got a solid winter survival kit! One thing I'd add is a whistle; it's small but can be a lifesaver for signaling if you're in trouble. Also, some high-energy snacks and a thermos with a warm drink can keep spirits up. And these hiking outfits women will be a perfect fit. Stay safe out there, fellow hiker!

My personal fire starting kit usually includes trick birthday candles. They give you a couple minutes of flame and won't blow out. For a quick nonperishable energy sourve, a small jar of peanut butter is great.

The only other recommendations I have would be a knife, an ultra-light tarp, and at least 20 feet of paracord. If you already have a knife then a back up knife and a mirror.

JimG Level 8 Oct 31, 2019

@JimG

With global warming causing massive wildfires, outdoor fires have been banned in Washington State for over 10 years.

Instead, we joke about sitting around the candle lantern, telling stories and lies.

While hiking, I don't need a saw or long, sturdy knife. The last time I used my folding knife was to cut off a section of hose on my Camelbak water reservoir. It had split near the bite valve.

Day hiking, a tarp is too heavy and bulky to carry. For sitting to eat lunch, I bring a piece of an old foam mattress pad.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:419848
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.