Agnostic.com

17 7

Think sarcasm is funny? Think again.

Why do many guys say in their profiles that they have sarcastic humor? It's an instant turnoff.

Sarcasm is defined as: 1. Harsh or bitter derision or irony; 2. A sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remarks; 3. Bitterness, ridicule and jeer. (Dictionary.com)

“Sarcasm is really just hostility disguised as humor,” said Clifford N. Lazarus, Ph.D. “If you want to be happier and improve your relationships, cut out sarcasm since sarcasm is actually hostility disguised as humor. Despite smiling outwardly, most people who receive sarcastic comments feel put down and usually think the sarcastic person is a jerk.”

Perhaps men aspire to be like “the meathead clowns floating through the films of today,” said Linda Holmes in “Bad News, Men: You’re Not Very Charming” in The Atlantic.

Why do some men think sarcasm is positive? This baffles me.

Your thoughts?

LiterateHiker 9 Nov 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

agree completely...

To me, it depends on the context. If it's an insult disguised as "humour", then no, it's not appropriate. If used to shine a light on an absurd situation, or diffuse tension, or even to poke fun at one's self, it's great. Personally, I love good sarcasm. I consider it a fine art.

It has never occurred to me to say that in my profiles. Maybe they think it will serve as a disclaimer. Maybe they know their sarcasm will be noticed, and are trying to inoculate themselves. I think sarcasm is a negative in interpersonal communications.

I'm sarcastic. I find nothing wrong with it.

Also known as "scarcasm." I learned that twist on the word in 6th grade. Sarcasm can really hurt.

Everything depends on context, though. My girlfriend and I use sarcasm at each other sometimes to take the edge off of the occasionally ridiculous things we say to each other. We have an automatic agreement as to what is funny and what isn't. But we're also culturally similar to each other and we sometimes enjoy the rough-and-tumble way of communicating. We know what we mean and why. But we also know how to disarm offenses, fess up to mistakes, and apologize for them. These are communication skills that take conscious effort to learn.

So the take-away here is that we all need to make sure we have good communication down pat before we start playing rough with each other. You can use sarcasm without hurting someone, as long as you can confirm they're on the same playing field and enjoy the game at least as much as you do.

There's a fine line between sarcasm that's funny and sarcasm that hurts. A good comedian knows how to walk that line very well; in interpersonal relationships I feel it only has its place when both people are in on the joke, it's not directed at either one, and it's not used as a weapon or to mask other feelings. When it is, this to me is where it crosses that line.

"A good comedian knows how to walk that line very well..."

Agreed. I'll take that thought a step further and say many of the great comedians use sarcasm in a self-deprecating way, which immediate disarms the audience and puts people into a "I know how you feel" sort of empathetic mood.

Identifying with the audience is a good technique...and identifying with one's significant other in a similar way can have the same effect.

Post #782 on why we should admire your efforts to envision a world that only revolves around you.

@MarkiusMahamius

What is post #782?

@LiterateHiker I think he was saying you have made 782 posts "on why we should admire your efforts to envision a world that only revolves around you."

Thank you for proving the lady's point and self identifying as an arsehole in one short post, Markymarkius.

@MarkiusMahamius

Are you calling me a narcissistic? That's rude and mean.

@LiterateHiker - he is rude and mean, that seems clear, but have you looked back on all of the judgmental points you've made over the last few months? Maybe you're simply not self-aware enough at the moment to notice. If you don't want to come off as narcissistic, consider posting some topics that aren't all about you and your personal wants/needs/desires/loves/hates.

And to any men tempted to rush in defense: do yourself the favor and cuck off. 😉

Maybe it's a cultural thing. In Australia and the UK, sarcasm usually comes with a healthy dose of self-deprecation. This removes a lot of the nastiness, as you're not setting yourself up as superior to that which you are taking the piss out of.

@Cherie4444 is that the emojis for "right on, sistah"? If so, I'm immensely flattered!

I love sarcasm. It is much better than stabbing someone with a fork. I don't care that it is not positive. It is not meant to be. It is not only men. I know women who are sarcastic. They are some of my favorite folks.

@Plainjane Exactly. I quit carrying a fork on me for just that reason.🙂

I love all the good points ,here ,and it appears we are all different on this point of view and there will never be a consenous which is great,I think the main point brought out loud and clear is do not use sarcasm around those who do not appreciate it or find it negative to there views but then again there are others who enjoy it whether they are giving it or receiving it,,They find humour and value in it ,So just respect the other person if you know they do not like it and use it sparingly around others who do occasionally

I grew up on a lake in Michigan in a family of six, left-handed, highly intelligent and hilarious musicians and artists. Sarcastic digs flew like knives. Very funny, accurate and deeply painful. Laughing outwardly (the wit!) while crying inside. So, I am sensitive to sarcasm.

I used humor with my signs for protest marches.

COOL SIGNS.. A long time ago.. when my kids were toddlers.. i brought them to protests.. with the sign "" there is dirt under every Bush"" ( George) .... If we only knew that we would have a president 45.. lol

Well, if anyone says they have "sarcastic humor" it probably means their sense of humor consists almost exclusively sarcasm.

Playful aggressiveness is charming and enjoyable from time to time coming from a genuinely funny person. But a constant stream of sarcasm disguised as "humor" is an indication of insecurity.

That makes absolutely no sense, but you go right ahead and believe that if it makes you feel better. Name one great comedian that didn't incorporate sarcasm.

@Sticks48 Well, your comment lacks sarcasm, if it is as Oscar Wilde describes, that is, the lowest form of wit, but the highest form of intelligence.

And this was an example of both sarcasm and irony.

BTW, my favorite comedian was Mitch Hedberg. Not sure how "great" he was.

@AtheistReader I loved that guy. I was fortunate enough to catch him in Austin before he passed. That was a sad day for me. A very funny man.

Seem we can be so easily sarcastic to each other and to even those we have a liking for. Done it - recieved it. Nowadays avoid it - seem to be a way of trying to internally ridicule another person.

Typically I direct sarcasm inward (see first few lines of my profile), yes that is humor/sarcasm but I am the brunt of it.

If you can't laugh at yourself, you can't be humorous with others. A few canned jokes but after that, silence.

I agree completely. It is much harder to be kind and thoughtful, than be a jerk. Nearly always (there are a select few who can make sarcasm funny and not offensive;they are rare) I find it is used by those with some combination of anger and lesser intellect. And more common in men.

I use sarcasm but I've never used it as a joke or humor.. It's a cutting statement was and that's how and when I use it...

I don't know about that. There are so many different flavors of humor, and many people just lean towards sarcasm. I know because I do at times, so it isn't a turnoff to me. I don't see it as having to be hostile either. It can go more towards irony as well. Now I do think there is a time and a place... in that light knowing when it's appropriate and when it isn't is key, but over all I rather enjoy it myself. To me it becomes a bit of an art form that some can flop at horribly... in which case sure, the person can easily come off as a jerk.

AmyLF Level 7 Nov 4, 2019

Maybe you don't see it as hostile because you do it.. But sarcasm is hostile... It's basically talking down to someone for your own pleasure or humor

@Cutiebeauty Are you sure? Is it at all possible that life and humor just isn't that black and white? Sarcasm is what you make of it. Timing counts, intent counts, understanding that not everything said in sarcasm has to have a sharp edge to it. And it doesn't have to be talking down to someone. Belittling isn't sarcasm.

Everyone is different in what they like or don't like and how they respond to things. I have been on the receiving end of real hostility. I've been in an abusive relationship. I've been beaten up once or twice. Trust me, sarcasm just doesn't compare.

@AmyLF
Yes - you make some good points.

@Cutiebeauty Exactly, that is why I use it. It is a hostile universe and always will be. Sarcasm is much better than violence.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:422124
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.