Agnostic.com

28 0

A serious event occurs that wipes out the power grid. What would you do, besides fumble around in the dark without a cell phone?

Disruption of the electricity is a more immediate concern than nuclear war?

atheist 8 Mar 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Walk down the streets with my arms in front of me chanting, "Braaaiiiinnnnnssss!"

Having lived aboard sailboats, off the grid, for over 20 years, I would continue to read, fish, harvest, play with the dog and make love with the wife.

Unless driving, the RV is 90% self supporting. Solar battery charging plus3 winter months worth of heating and cooking on the internal propane.

Best thing would be the wife's 35yo manchild not being able to call and beg for money.

Roll a fag (that means make a cigarette, it doesn't translate very well into American 🙂 ) ponder life's broader aspects, go to bed.

Yes. A fag is short for faggot which is a piece of kindling used to start the hearth fire. I looks as a cigarette which is a feminine version of a cigar. Hence a fag is a feminine cigar or a slight towards a feminine man.

@Countrywoman But even a faggot is different, in the UK that's a meat and liver dish, very nice as it goes 🙂 Not sure how fag means cigarette though, I shall investigate 🙂

@Countrywoman One of quite a few meanings but the one which appears to date back the furthest is....possibly originating in the 15th century, the frayed end of a piece of rope was called a fag-end and the first cigarettes were unfiltered and/or hand rolled and so presumably looked like the end of a bit of frayed rope.

@ipdg77 In the Netherlands, a hand-rolled cigarette is called a *sjekkie" - a shaggy, for the same reason 🙂

@Jnei I wonder if that has something to do with tobacco being described as 'shag', so a nice and well cut tobacco is a 'fine shag'

@ipdg77 I was told by a Dutch person (whose cat is named Sjekkie, because she has shaggy fur) that it's from the shaggy end of a fag. Got to love the whole "fine shag" thing - the basis of as many satisfying jokes as smokes.

@ipdg77 For example...

"What's a shag?"
"A type of cormorant."
"But for you, sweetie, it's a very remote possibility..."

I'd enjoy the peace and quiet for however long the grid is down. And because my job requires the internet, I will take the opportunity to be unemployed and seek out other options.

I'm already on a team. I am in charge of food (acquiring/growing - mainly because I am Vegan and have knowledge gardening etc. ) and Pyrotechnics (blowing shit up - mainly because I can!)

My best buddy for 38 years is the team leader. He's an expert in firearms and a sensible prepper. He has quite the stockpile of weapons ammunition and food.

@atheist Only problem for me is some of the group have taken the meaning of the bumper sticker "vegans taste better" a little wrong. Then they sold the other members of the group on the idea, "If it ever comes to that, we Chris first."

Listen on my ham radio for updates. I'm rural, so my generator runs the entire house. I have a small solar cell phone charger.

You'd have to quantify the extent of nuclear war before I could comment.

I actually did live off-grid for a while and learned quite a bit about finding food, lighting fires, building shelters and so on. So, I'd be alright for four or five hours - until I sat down in my all-natural-materials hut with a nice plate of pignuts and bullrush roots and realised that no power grid would also mean... NO AGNOSTIC.COM!!! Argh!

Jnei Level 8 Mar 24, 2018

Hope it isn't summer because if it is I'll really be kicking myself over not fixing the generator. If it is, get out there and fix the generator.

Kimba Level 7 Mar 24, 2018

About as practical as it's possible to be. You're definitely the sort of person I want to be around if and when it happens!

I'm already on a team. I am in charge of food (acquiring/growing - mainly because I am Vegan and have knowledge gardening etc. ) and Pyrotechnics (blowing shit up - mainly because I can!)

My best buddy for 38 years is the team leader. He's an expert in firearms and a sensible prepper. He has quite the stockpile of weapons ammunition and food.

I have enough camping gear to manage inthe short term. The first priority would to be checking on nearby relatives and making sure they're safe. My mom, specifically. Fortunately, my family all live within a 30 mile perimeter.

Deb57 Level 8 Mar 24, 2018

What is a cell phone? =0}

Look for a place to volunteer and work on restoring it.

Check out your local CERT team. Training before hand is very important.

Will need an introduction to local safety and operations protocols indeed. But still - I believe in emergency I will be more effective than a random bypasser - In my home country I am trained, certified and experienced in working with high voltage equipment. So if I can put these skills to use, see no reason not to.

Go up and down the street talking to my neighbors. Everyone needs skills and/or stuff they don't have, and has skills and/or stuff they don't need. We'd all do better together.

If no one wanted to play nice, at least I'd figure out who the trigger-happy grumps are...

I have solar heat and electric and 12000 gallons of water stored, an old wood stove and plenty of wood. I might not have enough food stocked but I need to lose some weight anyway

Pray to Jesus to bring the power back.
That works, right?

Which power grid and how far reaching is the loss?
I want specifics before I act LOL. Until then, I do not like ice in my whiskey, so I'm good.

I have a large stock of various sizes of flashlights, enough food for several weeks, a garden if it's summer, a small generator that will charge my cell phone, my HAM radio for updates (I live in a small, rural town). I've been trained in disaster response and mitigation for about 20 years.

@atheist Not as set as I have been in the past nor as I'd like to be. I am however, trying to change that!

Happened to me during march 2nd blizzard. There was enough light during the day through the windows and at night used candles and flashlights with rechargable batteries that I keep fully charged I was lucky I was only down 14 hours. I work in a hospital and we are expecting a baby boom in early november.

I live on the Oregon coast and we live with the constant threat of a tsunami. They say it could be months before we get help because it's so rural (even though our town is about 10,000). All the bridges would be gone so there's no getting in or out. I refuse to live in the tsunami zone so that is my first line of defense. I really should make a go bag to put in my car, but have been lazy and cheap. I have stored water and have skills in identifying edible plants, seaweeds, and animals, and food to last a few weeks at least so I think I'd be ok for a while. The city and county are really working on getting people to prepare so I think we would all band together. It's crazy to think about though. Especially when you walk on the beach and are thinking "how quickly could I get to safety if there was an earthquake?" We'd have about 15 min max.

Remi Level 7 Mar 24, 2018

Buy a petrol generator to charge up my cell phone. 😀

@atheist petrol won't last long. And with the demand, will be too expensive to be used for non essential needs (e.g. social media).

I think disruption of electricity would be a massive problem. Eg Puerto Rico.

I can't think of solutions efficient enough that would allow small neighbourhoods to generate their own electricity. Maybe solar panels, covering 100% of roofs, that are connected to batteries.

@atheist definitely solar. We have some on our roofs. And I did hear that their efficiencies have increased a lot in the last decade. But to power a full home at the same level as we have now with electricity is not yet achievable. Although, electricity from the grid itself is not efficient - much of it is lost to heat and distance.

Rationed electricity with a solar and battery combo is definitely livable.

Tesla home batteries are available now. They charge during the day and either get used in home at night or can be sold back to the power companies.

To be honest, my main hope for energy is either tidal generators or fission reactors. Sci-fi at the moment, unfortunately.

NASA also gave some money to a tech firm that had tech which "beamed" down energy from a helicopter to te batteries of a small climber robot. If they progress that tech to a sufficient efficiency, we may have solar batteries in satellites which power batteries down here on earth. I don't have the link handy at the moment. It sounds sci-if and have not looked at it further than the YouTube that mentioned it.

EDIT: I say all that on top of my belief for solar and wind farms.

Throw on my backpack and not worry about being fined for being in certain national forests, and just go....

And then straight to the nearest outhouse? McDonald's is fast food in a very literal way with me. 🙂

I agree, but that place is irregular! It makes you want to go before you've eaten...

I would gather my collections of stuff that worked before electricity. I would find other neighbors and form a survival group. we could set up a small power grid with sun or wind or water, or worst case good old manpower. I think everyone should have to take a year in survival in high school where they actually camp and fish, cook outdoors. Advanced students would be taught to hunt. No cell phones allowed. Everyone should be prepared for anything to the best of their capacity to "get it". They would also need to be taught a few crafts so somenone can make the things people need. It takes a village to survive without our current luxeries.

How does one keep water clean & fresh? Keep it out of the sun & sealed? Check. Anything else?

With no power grid you will have no cell phone and this event will likely be worldwide. Unless you quickly set up to live off ther grid you will have nothing but darkness and chaos. Comunication as we know it is gone. Suddenly we are living in 1800 again.

have flashlight on table with me. Worst comes to pass I can charge my phone in my car. My roommate thinks I should get a generator.

we used to get them up to 5 days

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:42424
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.