Agnostic.com

179 4

WHAT'S YOUR POSITION ON ABORTION ?

Yes...No? Do you base your position on religion or science? Does the woman have the right to chose?

DUCHESSA 8 Nov 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

179 comments (76 - 100)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My position on abortion is my body my choice. My first pregnancy was ended by abortion because the fetus had neural tube defects that were not compatible with life outside the womb and may have been threatening to my life. Yes I wanted a baby and I was heartbroken to end the pregnancy. And because I was so far along I had to go through labor and deliver that baby. When the baby was born there were more defects than they realized. The baby had anencephaly, spina bifida, front line didn't close, cleft lip and cleft palate. 20 years later the father of my children told those children he believed we made a mistake ending that pregnancy. WTF. Which is why we are no longer married. He was at the delivery, he saw the baby. I consider that a betrayal.

I'm sorry! That sucks! What an ass!

I built an addition on a house owned by a woman who took emergency children in Miami. She was expanding to keep 12 little kids whose parents were abusive, or in jail, or in one case, whose single mom died with no known relatives. The girl's aunt, who was contacted to take her, abandoned her at the Broward Mall. There was a boy whose momma's boyfriend burned him with cigarettes, which wasn't caught till he finished with the areas that clothing hid. These little people arrived in the middle of the night, or broad daylight, variously abused, neglected, and exhibited levels of trauma that I cannot imagine. I saw the effects of irresponsible, unwanted, or just ill-equipped parenthood. If I had been on the fence before, that experience made it obvious to me that society owes itself to be more serious as to who has the right to have a child.

The problem is that many of these abusive parents don't believe in aborting....they feel it's murder.

It’s a Discussion between a woman and her doctor and the decision is hers. It is outrageous that there are laws about a woman’s body. We are fully capable to make decisions about our bodies. I am not an advocate for abortion, instead I am an advocate for birth control. However, abortion should be a woman’s right to choose.

"...between a woman and her doctor"? The doctor has no say in her decision besides advising her on the possible impact on her health.

I think it is horrible and it is murderous. It should be avoided at all costs. In the 21st century, it should be a rare occurrence since birth control is generally effective if done properly.

I also think it needs to be legal. Sometimes, it could be an issue of two people dying, someone having a child against their will, or someone ruining their life. Just because I don't agree with something doesn't mean I can choose for everyone what to do. This is especially true since I'm a man and this issue would mean me controlling someone's body against their will.

I've always found this argument impossible. There are so many things that can usually be done before you get to that point that the procedure should be rare. Surgery should be a last resort in any situation if a non-invasive method could be used earlier on.

That's almost exactly pretty much my position. Personally, I am against it. I wouldn't want to be in a relationship with someone who would abort our child.

But I also feel that it should absolutely and without reservations be legal, because I have NO RIGHT to hold anyone else to my personal feelings.

I believe that all women should have a right to an abortion. Women should be able to choose what happens to their bodies. Also, most abortions happen in the early stages of pregnancy and are a simple procedure. They don’t involve the chopping up of full grown fetuses like the conservatives want you to think.

No all conservative want you to believe "fetuses are chopped to pieces". I am a conservative and pro-choice.

As a man, I feel have limited voting rights here. My 2 cents worth.

1. Abortion isn't the problem
  2. No one likes abortion

Address the problem:

1. Acceptance - we are hardwired to reproduce
  2. Education - Ensure knowledge of the all the consequences of #1
  3. Access to all necessary services

Though how to get that through the Pro-Birth lobby is a whole 'nuther question.

You will be surprised to find out how many men and women ARE NOT wired to reproduce. You will be, also, surprised to find out how many men and women had kids to please their own parents and / or to satisfy the norms of a society that cruelly judges those who don't want to become parents...specially how said society vilifies the women.

Somewhat in agreement with the rest of your post.

Woman's body, woman's choice. No one else's business beside her doctor's.

And who the h...ll is her doctor to opine outside of the medical issue?

I think abortion is a sad thing for any women to go through. Unlike most Pro-Lifers I do not believe that women who get abortions are just sluts who didn’t get on birth control and now want to get rid of it. Even less do I believe that there’s tons of women running around getting 3rd trimester abortions at the drop of a hat. The Pro-Lifers have always played hard and fast with the lies. They come up with the most ridiculous and horrific stories and, like with religion in general, they just believe it, no questions asked. Taking away a women’s right to do what she thinks is best for her body is, and always will be, wrong. It doesn’t matter why, that’s the women’s life and you have no right to the whys, nor do you have the right to force her to carry a fetus if she doesn’t want to. Congress, the majority of which are old white males telling women what to do with their own bodies, these idiots that can barely find their ass with both hands, what could possibly be wrong about that? They want to make sure everyone has a right to buy guns, they don’t give a shit about the environment, they want to have their right to go shoot animals for sport and give guns to teachers to protect their students (on $35,000 a year, sure) and to decide who marries and who can’t, but damn, they don’t want a fetus aborted because that boys and girls is a crime against god.

""I think abortion is a sad thing for any women to go through.""""

Trust me, is not sad at all. When a woman decides to abort she knows exactly what she wants. The bull s...t the pro-lifers tell you about "sadness / guilt" is nothing but a technique they apply to prevent women from aborting. Once I knew a prolifer who was telling young girls "If you abort you will never be able to have a child. The pro-lifers take advantage of people's ignorance.

Changing the word baby to fetus does not change the reality that a human baby is in the womb. This baby either is sacred or is not. If sacred then we kill a sacred human being. If just a bunch of tissue, there is not problem because nothing is sacred.

Dear, place your agenda where it belongs...in the drawer. OK? An embryo / a fetus....is not a baby. period.

I agree with the woman's choice. Choosing not to get pregnant is clearly the choice that will not affect the child.

while preventing the pregnancy is the ideal.......a fetus is not a child.

Science and yes women should have the right to choose.

Why "science"?

I'm not for it, but unless it's mine, its none of my business.

men, mind your own business!,women look after your own and yourselves

so far looks like no women opined here.hmm

Pro choice. Always have been, always will be.

As a gay man it’s not for me to tell a women what to do with there body’s this should apply to ALL MEN .

Pro choice, 100%. The anti- choice, pro forced birth crowd seem to think women who choose abortion are caviler about it or are using it in lieu of more readily available forms of birth control. No woman comes into the decision of having an abortion lightly. And let's not pretend the issue is about " murdering babies". If the anti choice crowd truly cared about the babies they would be pushing for comprehensive science based sex education, affordable contraception, guaranteed maternity leave, etc. etc. Instead they would have it so a woman would have less body autonomy than a corpse in order to punish woman for having sex.

GwenC Level 7 Nov 19, 2017

Pro-choice 100%. I would imagine where there is a serious relationship then naturally the couple will discuss and listen to each other. Otherwise it’s the woman that should make the decision.

gearl Level 8 Nov 19, 2017

Well, I thank you all for the answers...specially because no one of you -as it happened in other sites- insulted me for posting this subject.

Human beings are an imperfect lot. History has shown that impulse, and bad choices along with teenage raging hormones have resulted in many unwanted pregnancies. This hasn't even touched on predators and human trafficking.

Maybe it's time for pro-choice and pro-life to combine their resources and start helping these women. Give them all the alternatives and if they still want an abortion then give it to them. Women do not what to have to go back to back alley butchers.

Betty Level 8 Nov 19, 2017

I believe that the woman has the right to decide whether she will abort. I do not believe that one can be against abortion and also be pro-choice. We know that after conception we carry a potential new human ((six weeks after conception the new one is already dreaming) however, not everyone believes that we have to facilitate every pregnancy being a live birth. I sure don't.

It is the woman's body. And she should decide what to do with it as she wishes, with the advice of the father. I said advice, not control. Also if a medical professional sees that there is a problem with the fetus, they should advise the woman. No man should make a woman have a baby if she doesn't want it. Nor should he insist to have it aborted. Science does take precedence over religion, aka fairy tales.

I mind my own business, its your body, you do what you want. just don't use abortion as birth control on a continual basis. Some people should not have kids, Im probably one of them LOL, I have cats, that is enough work for me as it is. Plus I like to be able to go out or on vacations, its much easier to get a cat sitter than a babysitter LOL

I say yes, as a second child from a family that only wanted 1child my mom's right to have had an abortion and follow through with it privately should have been upheld and protected. Having a child just to torture, abuse, indocrinate and retaliate against for that child attempting to self identify and escape abuse proves that for psychological well being and health supporting Roe v. Wade and making sure women have the ability to make decisions between doctors in privacy without the State or Federal Gov't imposing religislated requirements is a violation of a patients rights. Growing up as an unwanted child is not fun nor does it get better.

I support everyone's right to body autonomy. I support your right to get pierced, tattooed and cosmetic surgery. I also, therefore support the right to choice. On that note, I support Margot Robbie's right to decide what happens to Margot Robbie's uterus and I have as much a right to choose what she does with it as every woman here. This nonsense where women think they have some added right to discuss what some 3rd party does with their body is insane. Body autonomy is something I hold sacred and which most men do and if we start defining this as a body autonomy issue, perhaps there'd be less conflict about it. This is not a women's issue.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4280
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.