Agnostic.com

179 4

WHAT'S YOUR POSITION ON ABORTION ?

Yes...No? Do you base your position on religion or science? Does the woman have the right to chose?

DUCHESSA 8 Nov 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

179 comments (126 - 150)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I guess from the moment of conception a life is created. This is a very touchy subject.
What I believe is pertinent to myself only. IT IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS what other people wish to do.
Abortion should be legal and easily obtained. Much more intelligent than the back street abortionist.
[ my wife was employed by a man who spent many years in jail for shooting dead an amatuer abortionist who brought about the death his pregnant girlfriend, a terrible consequence of the laws of the day. ] QUESTION, is human life that precious ? [ the Spanish inquisition would suggest otherwise.]..

Bodily autonomy. We don't own people, regardless of Hayek's work.

Personally, I believe that life begins at conception. As soon as that happens, the cells of what starts out of two cells rapidly grows and changes into a zygote, and then into an embryo which has a heartbeat by week 6 of the First trimester. It is not as if two people have sexual intercourse, conception occurs, and then when some sort of baby fairy waves its magic wand, sprinkles fairy dust on the mother, and it is decided that the pregnancy is convenient for the potential parents, that the embryo and then the fetus that has been growing in the mother's uterus the entire time, gets the distinction of being alive. That line of thinking is a huge logical and scientific disconnect. Moreover, when a woman has a miscarriage, they don't say she lost her inanimate ball of tissue, they say she lost the BABY. All too often, the argument about the viability of a fetus and the "right" to abort it has nothing to do with science, or even religion, and everything to do with whether the pregnancy will cramp the style of the people who are responsible for bringing into existence, and they want a simple way to abdicate their responsibility for the creation of that life that they have irrefutably created.

I remember being a young kid and asking my cousin what is an abortion. I remember her response about the fetus, that the doctor chops it up and vacuums it out. It seemed violent and scary to me. I believed in souls and we talked about what would happen to the baby's soul. She didn't know and I said maybe the soul of the baby goes into another person. When Dennis Miller asked the head of Planned Parenthood if she thought abortion was gross, I sort of appreciated him asking that question. There is something that is disturbing about it to me.

I think about coat hangers, illegal abortions that have taken many young women's lives and fertility. I also think about the shaming of teenage mothers and the lack of financial assistance for people to raise their children. I have always thought it was strange that the pro-life stance tends to be among the same group that is for cutting food stamps and assistance to the poor.

I have never become pregnant as the result of a rape. I have never been pregnant being used as a device in war. I have never been pregnant when I didn't want to be pregnant. I do not feel able to judge these people. I knew a woman who had a severely disabled child that was only capable of grunting to communicate and would require full nursing care for the rest of his life. She told me that she would have had an abortion if she could have gone back. She felt worn down and worried about what will happen to him when she is gone. I hope that she has found respite. Meyes Briggs may be right about me, I/ENFP...I favor discussion over banging a gavel.

One of the questions I have had is about fetal pain. I think that idea does make a difference to a lot of people. According to this article, the fetus is awake at 30 weeks. This makes abortion at that stage seem really creepy to me. [livescience.com]

When I was pregnant with my twins, I had a young baby, I was a CNA, and my then husband was still in school. I went to work and said I was worried about money and didn't know what to do. I had a lot of people rushing to my aid to tell me about abortion services. Some did not seem super supportive when I said I wasn't interested in having an abortion. I was told I would have a hard life. I have never regretted my children. They light my life.

I consider myself solidly pro-choice. I would never consider forcing someone to have an abortion but honestly think more women should have them than do. Too often parents boast about how strong they are and how well they're dealing with the torture they are inflicting on their children.

I think this is a first amendment issue since most objections to abortion are related to religion. No woman should be forced to carry an unwanted pregnancy to term.

I look around everyday and realize there have not been enough abortions. I am sure there are people who look at me and think the same thing. I don't believe men should have anything to say about. A woman should be in charge of decisions concerning her body, her health just like men are. Women do all the heavy lifting in these matters, it should be their decision.

I feel that as a man, it's none of my damned business what a woman does with her body

None of your business!

I'm in favor of abortion. Hitlers mother should of had one.

I believe that the soul, or whatever makes a person sentient and aware and unique, does not enter the physical body until the baby takes its first breath. Therefore, I have no moral issues with abortion. And I think that it should be a choice made by both partners.....but when it comes right down to it, I believe the woman has the final decision.

marga Level 7 Mar 11, 2018

I believe in the rights of the person to do whatever that person decides to do regarding their body.

Speaking as a man, the choice must rest with the woman, no matter how uncomfortable this may be. This is based purely on the grounds of common sense. Coercion should never be an issue. Regrettably I suspect most abortions take place due to financial considerations. If money were not so much of a problem, I suspect there would but significantly fewer terminations.

My decision is based on a scientific understanding of the matter, and yes it is a woman's choice to make her own reproductive choices. With that said, my personal view on that may be different, but still doesn't matter as the right to a safe abortion is legal under the law. I recently did a few posts on the topic of cpc's and how they deceive women for anyone who is interested. Having knowledge is half of the battle.

Pro-choice.

I find it difficult to believe religious conservatives or evangelicals have the right to tell a woman what she can do or not do regarding a highly personal decision about the termination of a pregnancy. Further, I have not seen this objection in any biblical text.

Two question. Three Answers. (Yes and no are not correct rubrics)
#1 Science.
#2 Does the woman - - depends on where she is in the world and her current condition
If you intended to ask "Should the woman have the right to chose?" Absolutely.

Abortion is a human right.

I am not pro abortion, but I do not think that the choice belongs to me.

It's not my decision to make but it is a viable human life thats destroyed . " One more kid that will never go to school ,
l never get to fall in love , never get to be cool " Neil Young

Women always have to right choose, it's their body! I don't judge those who have had an abortion. i think the reason for abortions very greatly and it's no ones business other than the patient and the doctor.

I'm for it.

I can think of several people whose parents should have opted for it.

The fetus is not a baby so my position is that it's ok to have an abortion.

Its always the right of the woman to choose, and I base my decision and all my decisons on science not that rag they call the unholy bibile.

She has to grow the damn thing. 100% her choice.

SuziQ Level 4 July 13, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4280
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.