Agnostic.com

179 4

WHAT'S YOUR POSITION ON ABORTION ?

Yes...No? Do you base your position on religion or science? Does the woman have the right to chose?

DUCHESSA 8 Nov 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

179 comments (126 - 150)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A fetus gets equal rights, not special rights. If a 2 year old needs a kidney to live it doesn't have the right to have the mothers kidney without consent. If the fetus requires the mothers body in order to live the mother must consent. The woman has choice. Pro choice.

Dear, a fetus has no the rights of a person. Period.

You don't understand the argument. I'm pro choice. Calm down now.

On my back?

???????????????????

"WHAT'S YOUR POSITION ON ABORTION ?" on my back - it's hard to do an abortion face down, I would think.

@AtheistInNC - not funny, as anyone who has had an abortion can tell you.

I'm sorry - I didn't think about that before I replied. My apologies.

No man has earned the right to an opinion on this subject ,due to not possessing the emotional or physical attributes of a female .Case closed.

This shouldn't even be an issue. It's no one's business but each individual woman's.
No one else has any business even expressing an opinion. I don't care what you think of it.
If it isn't your body, and your life, you don't have a right to say anything.

It's the patriarchal religions that have the men with authority taking over women's lives and bodies. As long as we have the patriarchy we'll have this desire to control women.

Should be legal on demand and paid for with tax funds for women who are unable to pay. Period.

Abortion should be covered by the insurance. Now, those who say "" Why should my taxes be used to solve the problem.when the woman can't pay for the surgery."....Well, if you know how much it costs to support a child (welfare) during 18 years...you will want your taxes to pay for the abortion.

@DUCHESSA Furthermore, if the woman doesn't have insurance, it should be covered by the state.

An absolute right. Remember in ancient times infanticide was not uncommon and personhood was not assumed until a child had been alive for some time.

I don't think we should really be supporting our arguments with phrases that start with, "In ancient times".

Pro choice. Should be the woman's decision.

I have no problem with it as long as it's done early.. If you wait until the third tri... then you should have the child, and by that point,,, it is a child, not just a fetus.

Legally is a fetus until the birth.
BYW, to wait until the 3rd., trimester is stu...d and a risk for the woman.

I'm not concerned with if the courts say it's a fetus or not, and it may be a risk to have a late term abortion, but it happens enough to be an issue.. Just for the record, if the doctor shows it to be a risk to the woman to have the child at any point, then I'm fine with the procedure.

You do realize that's one of the avenues people use to prevent abortions, yes? In areas of the country where they have legislated away most places one could get an abortion, pro-life organizations set up "abortion clinics". They tell the woman that she is unable to have the procedure for various reasons (like she currently has a fever and it would be unsafe to perform) and string her along until she reaches a gestation point after which an abortion is no longer legal. Basically, if you believe in any restrictions, you DO NOT believe in a woman's right to choose.

I am a firm believer that abortion should be a private decision between the woman and her doctor. No one should have the right to impose their religious beliefs onto another's medical decisions.

Why "and the doctor"? If a woman wishes to abort the opinion of the doctor is ONLY a medical one.

@DUCHESSA Here in Alabama women still have to go through a doctor to have an abortion. We haven't progressed to a point where the meds are available OTC.
I didn't mean to imply that a doctor should have the right to prevent a woman from accessing abortion care.

Needless to say the abortion must be performed by a doctor.

I am a male so I am not allowed to have one haha.

Actually the technology for males to have babies is already well established. Just attach the foetal sac to the intestine to get nourishment. Just not many takers.

Those who rant for "the rights of the child" should understand that an unwanted kid becomes a neglected one.

Pro choice.

The bottom line is pro-choice. I would hope to prevent most abortions through affordable, accessible birth control. But $h!t happens and no woman should be forced to carry a child she doesn’t want or can’t care for, and no child should grow up unwanted because legislators think they have the right to dictate family and medical decisions for women.

Absolutely no position on this.

Everyone should choose for themself. (As long as it doesn't affect me.)

That means "AS LONG AS YOU ARE NOT THE FATHER"?

@DUCHESSA If I were the father then it would affect me.

I would not walk away.

@El-loco Here we are not talking about "WALKING AWAY" BUT ABOUT THE WOMAN decision TO ABORT...even if the father doesn't walk away.

@DUCHESSA I am too drunk to use logic. If you were carrying my child I would not ask you to abort. I would ask you to accept my help and respect for what would not be a pleasant process. I would only ASK you not to abort.

@El-loco The fact is you wouldn't even have the right to ask...anything. Trust me,, the abortion process -as unpleasant / dangerous as it is- never is as UNPLEASANT / DANGEROUS as nine months of changes and risks are.

@DUCHESSA I do not claim the right to ask anything. I only tell you what I would do. The choice would be yours. I accept that the father has no right over the existence of his offspring even if he is prepared to do right by them. I accept it, but I don't have to like it.

@El-loco What you would do is irrelevant....and whether you like or not her decision is also irrelevant.

@DUCHESSA I find it confusing to have a fight with someone I never met and will never meet.OK, I get it, I'm irrelevant.

@El-loco A fight? I believe you are really confused. I only stated that you -or any other man- lccks the right to opine / say anything on abortion....even if the man is the "FATHER".

@DUCHESSA I agree with a lot of what you say, but this line in the sand is confusing to me. Men have no right to opine on the subject, what, because they don't have the ability to get pregnant? Does that mean barren women, old women, and women born without a uterus/have had a hysterectomy also have no right to opine?

Her choice, any time, any reason.

Ibelieve the woman has the right to choose. My first daughter Becky was born 3 months early with cerebral palsy when I was 29, It was advised I not get pregnant again or I would be early again.At 42 I was single and learned I was pregnant. My family wanted me to abort-afraid of another premature birth, downsyndrome, or some other medical crisis. It was my decision and no one elses. I could handle a child with special needs I decided. Jesse was born on time-9 months with no special needs.It should be the Mom's decision.

I don't believe it should be used as birth control. that being said there are times when we find ourselves in a situation that would not be congenial for a new baby. having a child is a major responsibility adoption isn't always the answer for everyone. Abortion is a very personal decision and should not be taken lightly. it's her body her decision.

Please, di tell me who in her sane mind uses abortion as a form of birth control.

You just contradicted yourself...

My position is simple…. Its not my body so I don’t have the right to make a claim or decision for anyone else. I wonder what the good folks in Alabama would say about mandatory castration for men who prey on young girls. This has nothing to do with a fetus or embryo, but it has everting to do with a women’s right to make her own decision. Our body and our minds are the only things we truly have, that is ours.

They would say, "Let's try to elect this guy to the US Senate."

Easy.. its up to the persons them self's to decide.... We are all ready with to many humans on this planet. Above that it's better to have a planned and wanted child to give all your love to...

So if the human population on Earth was rapidly dwindling, would that change your stance? If not, why is population part of your reasoning?

Here in the UK I don't think its much of an issue. I just accept that its a choice issue and not something for any of us to tell someone what they can and can't do. I'd certainly rather they did it supported by medical professionals than in a back alley with a coat hanger.

I would have one depending on the situation. I would never tell anyone what to do. I just want that person involved to weigh out all the options and make an informed decision. It's crucial to not do anything rash.

Don't you think as "enough reason" the fact the woman doesn't want to become a mother...then or ever?

Yes of course.

The choice is entirely up to the woman, with some consultation from her doctor. Nobody else has any say.

I guess the "some consulting with the doctor" goes only as far as health risks for the woman.

Correct

I'm tired of this question. If you don't want one, don't have one. Enough said.

If it is a medical necessity, or rape I have no problem with it. Use birth control, abortion won't be a problem if you do.

Are you aware that pills fails and condoms break?

I didn't think about that when I posted, condoms slip off too. All three are also a reason to abort.

@egt1977 So then why even mention them? If anyone can just say, "Uh, the condom slipped off" and be granted an abortion we can just assume everyone will say they used some prevention method and allow unrestricted access.

Without any context, this question is pointless. It is also my opinion that extremes of "the woman should always be allowed to choose" v "the unborn child has a right" are also warped with first explaining the context.

Some examples - the child is 1 week before being born, the child will be severely disabled when it is born, the mother will almost certainly die in childbirth etc. etc.

Nobody is talking about late term abortion....which should be ALSO LEGAL when the life of the woman is at risk. Remember, the woman always comes first.

Exactly. You've just provided some context that is NOT in the question! Which was my point.

What I provided is not "context" but logic. The life of the woman is the only one that matters.

"Nobody is talking late term abortion", "the life of the woman is at risk". You're jumping to several conclusions that aren't even mentioned in the original post, but are using them as "facts". I didn't respond in order to have a debate - I was simply pointing out that the question could have been clearer. Anyway, I've had enough of your preaching.

@DUCHESSA Why only when the mother's life is at risk? Who determines that? Possibly a man who you said has no right to opine? Stick to your guns woman! (What if said woman was actually held prisoner in a basement and was raped for years on end. Manages to escape her captor in her third trimester. If she is at no risk of death, are you saying she shouldn't be allowed to terminate the pregnancy?!?)

@JeffMurray Who decides the woman life is at risk? A medical professional, guy. About your example: Yesssssssssss, no woman should be forced to deliver a baby she didn't / doesn't want....and I doubt any intelligent woman will want a child from a mentally disturb man.

@DUCHESSA So I again ask, why would you say, "when the life of the woman is at risk"? If a man, even a medical professional guy, has no right to opine as you stated earlier, why should he have any say or control in any way whether or not a woman can get an abortion? Most everything else you've said on multiple posts seems to claim you're pro-choice 100%, and then this. I don't get it. ANY conditions or restrictions means you are not actually pro-choice because any of them can be used to deny a woman her autonomy.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4280
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.