Agnostic.com

179 4

WHAT'S YOUR POSITION ON ABORTION ?

Yes...No? Do you base your position on religion or science? Does the woman have the right to chose?

DUCHESSA 8 Nov 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

179 comments (151 - 175)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The woman has the right to choose, it's her choice.

It's her body. Period.

I personally am against abortion. That's why I've never had one.

It's not the government's or religion's place to dictate what a woman should do with their body. Also, unless the man is willing to carry (be pregnant which is impossible at the moment) and raise the child, they essentially have no right to the subject. It really pisses me off when men scream they should have a say, and in the same breath state they will have no part of raising/supporting the child.

Because men don't (and shouldn't) have any say, they also should be allowed to relinquish all rights and responsibilities associated with the conception. Just my two cents.

I think its awful to need one or to have to contemplate one, though I honestly do not see it as "murder" if the embryo cannot survive on it's own. What I do NOT understand is also blocking access to birthcontrol. It's as if folks WANT to beat ladies up over abortion when pregnancy is preventable. Also... if men want to exercise their opinion, why don't THEY do some prevention and not contribute to so much baby making?

Zster Level 8 Nov 19, 2017

To clarify, if a woman were to have an abortion at 23 weeks, you believe she should be charged with murder?

If the fetus is of a maturity to live on it's own and anyone actively kills/has it killed, that could be murder. The abortion places I've known of go to twelve weeks. As I said, why not prevent, rather than terminate?

Patriarchy.

On demand no questions asked. It's all about body autonomy.
As it stands now even dead people have more right to body autonomy than women.
No one can force you to donate blood, an organ, your body after death or anything else for any reason yet somehow women regardless of their state of mind, health etc can be forced to carry a child to term due to circumstances beyond their control be it finances, distance to procedure, draconian laws against choice or all of the above.
As far as late term 99.9% of women put in that position wanted to carry to term, but by the time some problems(20th week or so) are found in the fetus there is not much window of time to make a decision .

This is not a negotiable topic for me. Do not force children to be born to women who would rather have not carried to term. Hasn't anyone ever met someone that made you wonder why they had kids? Nurturing maternal instinct is precious but NOT a given in all mothers.

Qualia Level 8 Nov 19, 2017

Great post.

I agree with the majority of what you are saying but, what if that child was going to have a life of pain and suffering? You'd have to be pretty fucked up to let that happen?

@bryanthetrumpet Not sure what there is to disagree on. I'm definitely a "quality of life" person vs merely being born to exist.
If you're alluding to really late term abortions I certainly don't support giving birth knowing there would be no quality of life.
There are a litany of reasons someone can find themselves in the position to be considering/forced into a super late term abortion. Look at some who never knew they were pregnant to begin with- it happens. Some women have wonky cycles, extremely overweight, spotting, the list of circumstances that would put someone in that position are endless.
Too damned many people on this spinning ball anyway. I'm almost to the point of opinion if one doesn't have all ducks in a row and set it's immoral to have a child to begin with. There are no guarantees in life but try to stack the deck in the child's favor.
Also there are women, and I know them, who thought they wanted kids but those very necessary hormones did not kick in and the child suffered as a result.

Apologies for the rant and maybe veering off topic there. I'm a "no questions asked, on demand" for this life choice.

@jorj Perhaps you aren't aware not all parts of the country make the procedure easily accessible. Facilities that will perform late term are even fewer and farther in between, potentially endangering women's lives as a result.

Not sure why the caps are necessary.

Until women no longer have to be concerned about restrictions on the right to do what THEY CHOOSE concerning THEIR bodies there is indeed need for validation legally. People seem to forget that it's still to this day forever coming up in the courts.

THAT'S WHY WOMEN KEEP HAVING TO BRING UP RIGHT TO BODY AUTONOMY.

@jorj @jorj When men with your mindset "nut up" and get off their donkeys to shoulder more of the contraceptive/reproductive burden physically and financially(beyond condoms!) then you may have a leg to stand on, until then your hobby horse is obvious, you or someone "scratched" yourself on someone and it ended up in a live birth someone hadn't bargained for. TFB, that does not negate the issue that women shoulder 99% of the physical and financial burden of whether to carry a child or not to term.

Corpses still have more rights over their body than women in too many places for "the greatest nation on earth".

@jorj i thought it a legitiment arguement; and i'm not an 'emotional female' or even a particulary empathetic person but i smell bullshit from a safe distance ?

@bryanthetrumpet not necessarily the case. My grandson was diagnosed with neurofibromatosis but didn't know till he was 5 years old. But now that we know, he'll have a choice when he gets a little older.

I think it should be mandatory. (Kidding, kidding&hellip😉

Women have bodily autonomy, and regardless of personhood the fetus has no claim to the woman's body without her consent. I also deny fetal personhood, and I don't believe abortion harms the would-be mother, the family unit, or society as a whole. I think anti-abortion laws are intended to punish women for being sexual, self-determined individuals.

Coming from first hand experience, abortion is entirely up to the person with the fetus growing within them. I couldn't keep mine because my womb would have rejected it later on and caused me more pain than necessary with a miscarriage. That's what happened to my first and so I had to abort the second or wait it out and cause my self more physical and mental pain by having another miscarriage. Now in the case of fertile wombs, its still up to the one carrying for example if they can't afford it or its a rape baby, and yea putting it up for adoption is an option, but some people may experience more emotional hardship if they have to birth a baby they can't keep or don't want a reminder of what happened to them. Basically its up the individual.

Thanks for your post.

I support everyone's right to body autonomy. I support your right to get pierced, tattooed and cosmetic surgery. I also, therefore support the right to choice. On that note, I support Margot Robbie's right to decide what happens to Margot Robbie's uterus and I have as much a right to choose what she does with it as every woman here. This nonsense where women think they have some added right to discuss what some 3rd party does with their body is insane. Body autonomy is something I hold sacred and which most men do and if we start defining this as a body autonomy issue, perhaps there'd be less conflict about it. This is not a women's issue.

I say yes, as a second child from a family that only wanted 1child my mom's right to have had an abortion and follow through with it privately should have been upheld and protected. Having a child just to torture, abuse, indocrinate and retaliate against for that child attempting to self identify and escape abuse proves that for psychological well being and health supporting Roe v. Wade and making sure women have the ability to make decisions between doctors in privacy without the State or Federal Gov't imposing religislated requirements is a violation of a patients rights. Growing up as an unwanted child is not fun nor does it get better.

I mind my own business, its your body, you do what you want. just don't use abortion as birth control on a continual basis. Some people should not have kids, Im probably one of them LOL, I have cats, that is enough work for me as it is. Plus I like to be able to go out or on vacations, its much easier to get a cat sitter than a babysitter LOL

Totally the choice of the woman until the fetus reaches a certain developmental stage.
I don't believe there are any ideal situations a woman has who doesn't want to have a child other than abortion.
The adoption process can be difficult and very slow at best sometimes (I know this first hand.).
Another child being dumped into the foster programs in this country isn't good either.
There's no reason for a mother to a give birth to a child she doesn't want or a child who will be miserable within 'the system'.

The problem with the adoption process is not the problem...the nine months to produce a child for adoption are. If a woman doesn't want to become a mother WHY TO FORCE HER TO BEAR NINE MONTHS OF CHANGES AND RISKS? This is very selfish on the part of society.

@DUCHESSA I meant to say "The length / difficulty of the adoption process...."

It is the woman's body. And she should decide what to do with it as she wishes, with the advice of the father. I said advice, not control. Also if a medical professional sees that there is a problem with the fetus, they should advise the woman. No man should make a woman have a baby if she doesn't want it. Nor should he insist to have it aborted. Science does take precedence over religion, aka fairy tales.

Whew! Ive already had my butt clobered for one comment i made. I say the female has the right to abort if theres a unique problem with the unborn child and or her health/life may be compromised. Unique problem - only the doctor and the female know this, i dont. I feel the unborn child has rights to live if there are no complications. Theres other avenues to take if the female can't take care of the born baby.

Don't you think if the woman doesn't want the child...eight then and there there is a problem?
Nothing worse than to force a person into doing something he/she doesn't want to do.

No... the healthy child is not the problem. The child has a right to life. If there was rape, the hospital could of helped the female. If the women doesn't want child eight, then she should of thought about the consequences of her actions. She had a chance to take the pill or see a doctor. Don't put this off on the child. There's adoption agencies she can deliver the baby to.

You got a couple of months to decide on an abortion . Get it done then.

I believe that the woman has the right to decide whether she will abort. I do not believe that one can be against abortion and also be pro-choice. We know that after conception we carry a potential new human ((six weeks after conception the new one is already dreaming) however, not everyone believes that we have to facilitate every pregnancy being a live birth. I sure don't.

Human beings are an imperfect lot. History has shown that impulse, and bad choices along with teenage raging hormones have resulted in many unwanted pregnancies. This hasn't even touched on predators and human trafficking.

Maybe it's time for pro-choice and pro-life to combine their resources and start helping these women. Give them all the alternatives and if they still want an abortion then give it to them. Women do not what to have to go back to back alley butchers.

Betty Level 8 Nov 19, 2017

Well, I thank you all for the answers...specially because no one of you -as it happened in other sites- insulted me for posting this subject.

In a perfect world no abortions would ever happen. In a perfect world, every fetus would develop without problems, every woman would survive pregnancy and every pregnancy would be an intended one. But, this is not a perfect world and there are a myriad of reasons why a woman makes that decision; and, ultimately, it should be hers.

perfectly said!!

Pro-choice 100%. I would imagine where there is a serious relationship then naturally the couple will discuss and listen to each other. Otherwise it’s the woman that should make the decision.

gearl Level 8 Nov 19, 2017

Pro choice, 100%. The anti- choice, pro forced birth crowd seem to think women who choose abortion are caviler about it or are using it in lieu of more readily available forms of birth control. No woman comes into the decision of having an abortion lightly. And let's not pretend the issue is about " murdering babies". If the anti choice crowd truly cared about the babies they would be pushing for comprehensive science based sex education, affordable contraception, guaranteed maternity leave, etc. etc. Instead they would have it so a woman would have less body autonomy than a corpse in order to punish woman for having sex.

GwenC Level 7 Nov 19, 2017

As a gay man it’s not for me to tell a women what to do with there body’s this should apply to ALL MEN .

It is actually safer to th elife of a woman to have an abortion than it is to carry to term. I think because of that greater risk to a wojman's life, it shoudl be up to her to decide. The ideal of forcing a woman to carry to term at the greater risk to her life, to me would be indicative of a path away from personal freedoms, where others get to dictate how you live your life.

I actually consider my stance to be "pro-life" in the sense that I value the life of the living above the unborn. I value the lives of people who are already here, and believe we shoudl take care of those already here, before we look at tryign to protect those who are not yet here.

zgee, I really enjoyed reading your answer.

Pro choice. Always have been, always will be.

so far looks like no women opined here.hmm

If you don't have a uterus, you don't get a say. Not up to you! NONE of your business. I am and always will be - Pro Choice!

ParkS Level 4 Nov 19, 2017

Any man that thinks a woman should protect his rights is not thinking straight. If a man does not want a child then it is (his) responsibility to have birth control. Men that want to distance themselves believing it is the woman's job to provide protection are not fair-minded men.

@jorj As I said above, if you want to be 100% sure you're not creating a baby, get a vasectomy. Then you can have your fun and shoot blanks.

Have you ever tried to get a hysterectomy? (I have, and have heard a while range of reasons why I can't have one). Drs tell females, even single females that they won't perform this procedure all the time, for reasons like, "What if you meet a man in the future who wants children?" Thereby giving some future hypothetical boyfriend/husband more control over that woman's uterus than herself.

Trials for hormone based contraceptives for males get halted before they can be assessed as safe enough for the market because the subjects cannot tolerate the side effects of the hormones, similar side effects to those caused by the hormonal contraceptives women have been putting up with for decades. Perhaps males would try to tolerate the side effects more if they were the ones risking their lives and health by carrying and delivering babies?

And, on that note, it is statistically safer to abort than attempt to go full term and deliver, so isn't this -abortion on request- the most moral medical option for women, especially women who do not (for whatever reason) want to be pregnant and deliver a baby?

Western medicine is disappointingly male centric. You just have to look at things like treatments for erectile dysfunction being available before the size and shape of the clitoris was even discovered to see the imbalance. Also, even in countries with healthcare that is free at the point of access, women don't get decent and dignified post natal care. Just look at the rates of labour induced prolapses that don't get any treatment at all.

The above is just a snippet of the reason why I think abortions should be legal and available for women at any time. I doubt you'll change your mind because... But seriously, try being female and trying your 'solution' of getting a hysterectomy. (This is also an incredibly invasive procedure compared to most abortions, but you'll never have to worry about either issue so you can just suggest whatever wildly impractical thing you like and if women aren't doing that, feel superior and 'right' that they brought their 'situations' -pregnancies that take two but only one has all the responsibility- upon themselves.)

You get a tubal ligation. No hysterectomy unless worse is going on.

men, mind your own business!,women look after your own and yourselves

The only times I think abortion should be even remotely legalized is in cases of incest or cases of rape.

In cases where people just make a poor choice and end up getting pregnant, it should not be allowed. It takes two people to make a baby. if the man involved pushes for an abortion then he should also have to get a vasectomy so it never happens again. If you don't want one child you're never going to one another

Not necessarily about "never wanting another". The moment the woman finds out she is pregnant could be the wrong one,,,,for many reasons. Besides, a couple may have taken all precautions but the devil introduced his tail.
And never forget that an unwanted chidl will become a neglected one.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4280
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.