Agnostic.com

65 11

Have you ever had a frenemy?

"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

Have you ever been successful at this?

silvereyes 8 Mar 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

65 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Nada, I will not be disrespectful but there will be no cosying up to people I do not like.

Have you ever met someone you didn't care for at first but then later found you did?

@JackPedigo That may have happened but since I don't recall anyone impacting me that way I guess it is no. MY big 'problem', I take most people at what they present and I have been fooled my some who appear to like me and then kick ya to the curb. I find I am less trusting of other women - we are a devious lot. lol

@silverotter11 I noticed you said "we"?

@JackPedigo we, as in the female of the species - I think women can be much more devious than most men. We just have not been in as many positions of power as men. Look at the woman who trump put in - the one who was involved with torture.

Now I have had friends that made me think, who needs enemies.

I did have a coworker frenemy. I was friendly with him only because he was close with and trusted by the boss, and those two would gossip like schoolgirls. If he said one bad thing about me it would have turned into a problem. Luckily, he's since left the company and I no longer have to deal with his multiple personalities and holier-than-thou BS.

Almost everyone, if not everyone. Until humans stop acting like animals, they always will be.

I really don't have the time or patience to allow people like that to remain in my life.
As soon as I identify one, they're gone.
I'm a pretty nice person, but there are some things I have no tolerance for.
Crappy people is one of them.

I have a famenemy Both of my half sisters are so jealous of me they both have taken the high road to taking care of their kids. The third from the youngest is very promiscuous with a different guy almost every week drunk or high on cannabis, I can't remember the last time I had seen her sober. She abandoned 2 of her kids to pursue a brief homosexual encounter. She left her oldest son for my mom to raise. This one did ever thing her infantile brain could come up with to try and get control of my kids. My other sister is a heroin addict and is just ignorant of how to be a human being, she has been in and out of jail. I lost count of how many times. They both are self-destructive and because of the last thing they attempted to do to me, I will never speak to either one of them again.

I had one in junior high in Enid. this girl named stacy was my bitter enemy drawing my ire all the time on the bus and at school. then one day she gave me a card and tried to kiss me! I had all the emotional maturity of an infant so I screwedd that good deal all up. She was a stunning beauty too.

Yes many over the years. Some have turned out to be good friends with exceptions I suppose. I knew I could call them and they would come to a knife fight but bitch behind my back come first light. With that I was satisfied to call them friend.

I think it works out of necessity in certain situations such as in politics, war, business, so then in socially necessary situations where a collation is more important than enmity. Perhaps some are able to carry this idea into their personal lives, I don't think I can.

cava Level 7 Mar 25, 2018

Yes lots of people who called me friend turned out to to be

All women are a frenemy. Act like you care then fuck a man over and not feel guilty. You all should be ashamed of yourselves!!

Excuse me, not all women are like that and I do not like being put in that category! Shame on you.

And my ex husband cheated on me, the second one left me thousands in debt. I do not blame all men. Perhaps you should consider that YOU choose women with a proclivity for screwing people over.

All the time

I am nice to my ex so I can see my kids anytime I want. I don't hate her and have accepted she is who she is. However, I don't like her and I don't trust her. I don't know if that counts as a frenemy. It does make me a little two faced, which goes against my core principlas. But doing what is best for my kids and seeing them when I want is a higher priority.

There are a ot of people that I don't like, but would rather work with them rather than a friend and there are friends that I would rather like that to try to work with because we probably wouldn't like each other for long lol.

Sun Tzu 孫子 The Art of Warfare "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer" Although this is attributed to various historical figures I am inclined think that it orginated with Sun Tzu. In a nutshell his philosophy is: "Avoid a war if at all possible, if not, bring it to a speedy conclusion with minimum loss of life, damage to land and property."

The whole point of keeping your enemies closer than your friends is simply to learn their strengths and weakness.

Nope.

Friends change pic who you keep close wisely

Yes...funny, I was gonna say 'no', but I lived in a small community with a small-ish clique that everybody went to same parties, same shows, etc. If you didn't like someone that was moderately popular (even if everybody knew they were a douchebag), you couldn't just take them outside for a walk around the block unless they crossed a serious boundary. Or, more specifically, causing drama would just wind up with you being not welcome and incidentally ostracized for causing too much drama. So, you had to play a 'court' game. Louis XIV style.

Yhup left him in last year knew him for 6 years lived with him, brought cars with him, made money with him. You end up sussing out a frenemy eventually, glad I did.

I have know people who pretended to be my friend, but did things to hurt me. I had to learn to avoid them and say "no".

Why would you want a person like that in your life?
I have a neighbor like that and I don't associate with him anymore.

dc65 Level 7 Mar 25, 2018

I think the terms friend and enemy are mutually exclusive

No I honestly am not a good gamer I think it was because my earlier life was so chaotic I lied all the time at some point I realised I was not living in reality and made a decision never to lie except if it was seriously neccesary life or death stuff . My partner whom I live near is a brilliant strategist and tells me how to get out of awkward situations- There is a man in this scheme who is a drunk who gts pretty nasty but I have cut all ties with him .We have had many over the years , at one time we were known as 'the place all the alkies live but its a bit quieter now'. I am still talking lessons in gunboat diplomacy.

On tenuous ground with ex who hangs with my friends, my family and still calls. I don't trust him, but I remain cordial, though his ingreaciating attempts with my family really bugs me.
I got my eye on this one.

My friend Jennifer. She is admirable, smart, I like her a lot, I just find her a bit bossy!
The other day we are leafletting for a corporate tax reform measure.
My hair is unruly and sticks up a bit. She is alarmed and offers me her comb. My bushy hair does not comb well. She insists and I have to comb my hair for Jennifer.
Irked? Not a big deal. I wonder if her spouse is some sort of saint, though!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:42938
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.