Agnostic.com

80 17

How do my fellow Atheists deal with depression?

Frankly, I personally didn’t find comfort in faith when it came to depression. I would get blamed for it in some cases, “oh that’s just the consequences of sin.” Thanks buddy.

But I’m wondering what some of you do to help with depression? Meds? Therapy? Cuddling? Let me know.

LeeLou 4 Dec 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

80 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't know if Atheists have a different experience with depression than religious people. Perhaps religious people have the question of why would a loving God give them depression. I personally have been hit by waves of depression for decades - especially when coupled with seasonal (i.e., gray winters) effects - and finally found some help with Welbutrin. Exercise, weed, friends, painting, and meditation helps as well but it's often a struggle to get the motivation to do them. Also knowing that "it's just depression and I'll get better" helps remind myself that it's not permanent.

Admin Level 9 Dec 27, 2019

Of course, there are contraindications to this, as most pharmaceuticals have. I wouldn't be able to take it.

@MissKathleen @bingst Thanks for the feedback. I agree that diet does play a role in depression and other mental issues. I do keep up on magnesium and fatty 3s but I'm hit more with seasonal depression during the winter. Feeling better today 🙂

@MissKathleen
Have you done the light therapy?

Gosh, my mother and I were just talking about this. She had major surgery and then suffered a stroke. She has been really sad and depressed which is very common after surgery. I also think she is really scared of her mortality because of the stroke.

I told her what helps me with my clinical depression is vitamin d and b12.

I also told her I sit outside no matter how cold, watch my favorite movies, read my favorite books, play with the dog and turtle...in other words do what you love to do.

She’s going to try it...doing what she actually loves to do...and turn off the damn mainstream TV programs! Lol that’s enough to depress anyone.

I actually find it easier not having a belief in God. I know I need medication to control it. I hear religious people say stupid things like pray more, give it to God, etc. Seems to me that these people will suffer much longer not understanding why they are foing these things and not getting better before they realize that medication, therapy, less stress is the answer.

Jennw Level 4 Dec 28, 2019

I’ve never considered depression as something to be avoided and tend to feel it is just a natural part of the human condition. I like to write songs so I find it a deeply creative time and a time to isolate and work through my thoughts. If it became the only emotional state I inhabited I would seek some medical or therapeutic help, but so far just by using it as a tool rather than an affliction, it tend to work itself out on its own.

I agree that depression is part of life however,, we are talking about the kind of depression that goes on forever and impacts your entire being.

Well I've been 'battling' it for nearly 19+ years now, gone from being an almost reclusive person to a somewhat gregarious one in the last 6 or more years, so much so that I have to now keep a 'Social' type of calendar so I don't 'double-book' myself for social events/occasions.
Treatment started with an SRI drug called Zoloft that caused hallucinations so was changed to a graduating increasing dosage regimen of Aropax to find the correct and suitable level, now I am taking the very minimum dose once per day.
But I found that involving myself in gardening, artworks, poetry and just taking small steps regularly by catching a bus and going for a ride around town, etc, have worked absolute wonders for me.

Not sure how this related to the topic. But good for you

When I was younger, and really stupid, I employed copious amounts of
alcohol, various illicit drugs, and indiscriminate sex.

When that stopped working, I engaged in therapy, marriage, and prescription
drugs-properly administered.

Now, I smoke weed when I can get it, and have started telling more people
to "fuck off" when I feel it's warranted.
It seems to work SO MUCH better.

I'm a fiction enthusiast. I read, I watch tv, I write.
I'm physically active. Even if I feel like crap, A long walk usually clears the clouds.

Yes exercise or a long walk is good!

I've struggled with depression on and off over the years. A combination of therapy, meds, and mindfulness practices have gone a long way to help me. Unfortunately there's still a lot of stigma regarding mental illness, some faith-based and some not. I had to get past that in order for any treatment to take effect.

FYI, there's a Mental Health Support group here. It's a good group and and very helpful. Here's the link if you're interested: [agnostic.com]

Start by staying active and keeping to your chores. Physical activity is a natural anti-depressant. You don't have to overdo it or set specific goals. Just go for walks. You have to force yourself to do it, but it's worth it. Give yourself a reward afterward, such as a delicious food item you enjoy. It helps.

And keep to your chores. Try to look at them as what they are: burdens we all must bear, but tasks that make life worthwhile. Some clinical psychologists are now claiming that lifting and carrying a lofty load helps men discover meaning. Perhaps there is some truth to that. Do the thing that isn't easy, and you will feel better for doing it.

Society today seems to favor self-pity and self-loathing. You can choose to look at it another way: emotional durability. The ability to handle whatever life is throwing at you with a nod and a wink. You got this.

Here's something to think about: your brain is owned and operated by you. Therefore what happens inside it is yours to control. It's your brain, right? Despite what anyone says, you have the power to design and improve your own thoughts. The power of positive thought is amazing, and it can be done even when you think it can't be. What do you want to think about? Things that draw you deeper into depression, or things that lift you out? It really is a choice.

Edit: I've noticed some people have included drugs in their responses. These are crutches. I do not for one second believe "chemical imbalance" can be properly relieved through the consumption of external substances. Prescription meds for depression usually mess you up worse in some other way, and over the long haul they just make you dependent. Alcohol and weed are fine recreational pursuits, but they are not the cure for depression, either. Drugs are not the answer and I will defend that statement to the death if I must. 🙂

I agree with you about the drugs that many psychiatrists give you for depression. Those drugs do nothing but screw up your central nervous system and actually if you’re on them too long they can make your symptoms worse. That is why your doctor has to change the medication from time to time. It’s best not to ever go on any of those types of drugs if at all possible. Look for other avenues to figure out what makes you feel better instead of using pharmaceuticals.They are mostly poison.

For me it's all self care. I usually only become depressed by external causes. Marital abuse - which has now become abuse from the ex, financial woes, stress and pressure from problems created by those two things. Not a chemical or hormonal imbalance. I would medicate if I could afford to, though.

Deb57 Level 8 Dec 27, 2019

No matter how bad you think your life is, there are people around the world that have it far worst than you. Consider yourself lucky to have opportunities that others cannot have. You are not going to sleep hungry every night. You do not stay awake at night wondering if the authorities or a religious group are going to break down your front door to take you away. You are able to stand on your own two feet. You are not suffering or living with chronic pain. These are just a few of the things to consider and to think about when dealing with depression. Maybe that will help you when you are depressed and see that life is not so bad. Your life is better than you think, and just take it one day at a time. Do something nice and helpful for someone else. Find someone that need help and help them, no matter how small of a gesture, like carry a bag for an elderly person, give some food to a hungry person, give someone a ride to the doctor or a senior center, help a child as a big brother would, and that feeling of being useful to another person will help put a smile in your face each day and alleviate that feeling of being depressed.

I think there are 2 types. One I call "Organic" where the brain has structural or chemical issues and you really should consider proper diet and possibly pharmaceutical assistance. The other I call "Situational" and really results from us "Being inside our own heads" too much. I've had the second one a few times, and what snaps me out of it fastest is volunteering. It gives me a sense of doing something good, helpful. And sometimes, it lets me see that there are so many people who have it worse than me, and I should stop feeling sorry for myself and get out and find purpose, help others. Whichever it is,if anyone should ever consider suicidal thoughts, you should call the Suicide Hotline as soon as you can. Most suicides are relatively "spontaneous", meaning they often occur within hours of initial thoughts of it. There's little point to it and we often don't realize how sad it will make other people, even those who we think "barely" know us.

To add, situational can also be related to toxic environments/upbringings or a traumatic experience(s). And leaving the shitty envt or coping with the trauma helps lessen the depression.

No matter how depressed I am upon waking, it seems to subside when I start moving around the house. The biggest challenge is getting out of bed.

I pour my woes into a journal each morning so that the rest of my day has a chance at being fairly good. I begin my day with coffee and a smile. Adopting a positive outlook helps a lot. Music and for me, video games can spirit me away to a special place.

Psychedelics.

ya ... but it might make me remember my past....

@blzjz In theory, psychedelics can help a person function even when accepting reality.

Spending time outside helps: [health.harvard.edu]

Meds. I have a mild form which is chemical based so meds balance out.

After 67 years of depression, I became depression-free four years ago, and have remained 100% depression-free ever since. And when I say 100%, I mean 110%.

It’s a longer story than I can convey in this format, but it is a story of seeking cognitive consonance. Relentlessly.
It’s a lot of work, and it can be terrifying, but the payoff is worth whatever it takes.
YMMV.

skado Level 9 Dec 27, 2019

I avoid the processed and refined sugars, white flour, wheat, alcoholic drinks, sad music, negative people, tv news and toxic environment. I try to see the bright side of my life. I set short goals to keep myself interested and satisfied.

Great ideas

I do not suffer from depression. I am too ill withT1 diabetes. It keeps me on my toes ( actually not my toes, that would make me fall over.) My insulin pump runs my life.
I have a Jack Russell terrier and an ancient Chihuahua. Letting them out and back in takes care of part of my waking hours.
I smoke weed ( not enough), drink alcohol and curse in two languages.
I am an adventurous cook.
I take care of others.

None of those things are recommendations if you are stuck in depression, just an invitation to take stock of your day to day activities.

You're awesome. Never forget that.

@Freespirit64 Thanks!

Access to clinical help is difficult and costly, especially when I know that what I need are meds to help me balance out my brain's chemistry. That's another issue because I fear becoming addicted to such medications or that currently Rx meds may make things worse. So I do take vitamins, St. John's Wort, diet changes, and lots of comedy. I have to start my day laughing just to set the tone. Some Bill Maher's New Rules on You Tube does the trick for me. So when I'm especially feeling blue, I look for comedy to make me laugh.

Doctors and counselling. Keeping a positivity journal- 3 things a day you’ve enjoyed or appreciated. Group work to realise you’re not alone or even the worst off. Recognising and Reprogramming negative thought patterns and thinking about what you do want, (rather than what you don’t).
Mindfulness to help recognise that overthinking doesn’t help and help live in the moment when you’re tempted to overthink.
Then there’s physical exercise and healthy eating. Making the effort to be around good people and do things you enjoy.
Good luck man, it’s a journey.

Anti-depressants can help some. But, two keys are (1) staying busy, or high levels of activity, and (2) strong emotions -- even anger. Something that really makes you feel something intensely. One treatment at an institutional setting was to give patents a toothbrush and instruct them to clean the floor. After a while most patients would get angry -- and it started their heling.

Difficult question and it requires difficult answers. Most likely medication will help take the edge off. I have been taking Paxil for about 30 years. I do notice a difference when I am on the medication and forget to take it. However, that's all it does it take the edge off. Let's things just slide down you as if brushing the crumbs off.

I know that talking "sometimes" helps as well. Counselors are out there that can listen. Also, your friends can be a great source of relief as well. I hope this helps.

PS I have also found this website not conducive to positive thoughts. Some folks here actually make things in my life worse but then again those people can be found in every day life as well. Most here are very nice. Feel free to message me if you would like to talk more.

Exercise is essential: hiking, snowshoeing, weightlifting and running. Exercise floods me with endorphins, making me feel happy. Personally, exercise is much better than antidepressants.

Also, I surround myself with positive people.

T his is awesome! Thank you for sharing

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:442780
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.