Agnostic.com

62 9

Less fear of hell?

Slowly coming out of Christianity had got me wondering if my lifelong fear of hell would continue into atheism. But strangely, fear of hell has completely vanished! How about you all?

PeterLash 5 Jan 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

62 comments (51 - 62)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Why would it be strange?

I've never been religious. I never believed in heaven or hell. To be honest, the descriptions I've read make heaven seem as unbearable as hell.

JimG Level 8 Jan 12, 2020

My Mother believes ( believe is such a wiggly word ) that her numerous dogs will be welcome in heaven too. The prospect of eternity with Mother makes Hell look appealing.

Once I realised that all claims about the existence of God were absurd, my fear of Hell immediately ceased to exist.

I regard Hell as a means by which vile wretches control the gullible.

I have friends (sort of) who strongly believe in hell. One wasn't this nutty until she became older. Sort of regressed after making some mistakes in earlier life.

I'm only afraid of real things.

1of5 Level 8 Jan 12, 2020

@NoPlanetB got that right 😉

I'm not sure I ever believed in it.

i never had a thought to spare for hell as i was raised a secular jew, and even if i had been raised deeply religious, heaven and hell, while sometimes present in jewish folklore, are not part of judaism. so i hadn't a chance in hell of believing in any hell, much less fearing it. anyway, i'm almost 68 and have been an atheist since age 15, so if i ever had feared hell, i am pretty sure i'd be over it by now 🙂)

g

Same here

Can't fear something that doesn't exist.

@Toonces true

I have no fear of hell at all. This comes from my approach to scriptures and where they came from along with when we actually got the bible as we know it today. If you study this you can see it was ever changing from the 4th century until now. The wonderful apologists keep trying to explain everything for the modern world and their views change also. I just do not buy it. My Buybull daze is over.

I don't ever think of hell. Seems just as silly as a cloud covered Barca lounger heaven. But I do think of getting old and suffering.....

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:448492
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.