Agnostic.com

84 18

Eating out alone?

How do you feel about eating out alone? I ate lunch out by myself today. It’s still not something I like to do, but I am getting better with it.

Alliegirl 7 Mar 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

84 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It seems to be more a stigma for women than for men, though I think times are a'changing especially in the northeast. I don't like to eat out alone because I like to eat reading a book or magazine undisturbed by the wait staff.

Geoff Level 5 Mar 28, 2018

Never bothered me. There are times when I prefer it and times when I like companionship.

I had a job once that I traveled some, and I would eat alone then. I would carry a book. Now I rarely travel, and I don't usually go to restaurants for meals as I'm too cheap. But sometimes I do. I try to take a book, newspaper, or my phone. I very rarely eat in my car, and at home it is not unusual for me to eat on the sofa with my laptop on my lap.... like right now.

hmmm, I don't eat out alone if I can help it, home for meals, or else take away I can eat in the car.

I have started eating out alone again. Usually I tend to save money but on payday (or thereabout) I might eat out somewhere. I don't mean anything fancy. I like buffet style best in anything, and I don't do nighttime candle light stuff. If I find a hungrry woman I just might take her with me.

I don’t mind it but company is always better. My bigger problem with eating out is dismal quality of most offerings. I like to cook. It’s hard for me to pay for something that I can create. I’d rather cook for someone who like to eat ?

I eat out alone sometimes and I always look around the restaurant and if I see an older lady eating alone I buy her dinner anonymously.

That is awesome. ?

I don't like to, but if my cravings are strong enough I'll do it most of the time I bribe a friend by offering to pay

I do it all the time because my wife and I are on different schedules. I try to find restaurants that allow you to eat at the bar where other single diners are.

I prefer restauranting with someone who I do not mind watching masticate.
Otherwise I will tend to start observing the ugliness of others nearly killing themselves with gopher cheeks, open mouths, and lack of chewing.

Hence, when alone, I ask for a window seat, or the booth in the corner facing the wall.

AND AWAY FROM ALL THE VIDEO SCREENS!!!!!!!!!!

I work alone away from the office frequently. It's rather dull and boring to eat alone. I usually buy groceries or take out and bring back to the hotel over eating in restaurants. I've done this for almost 25 years so eating out has lost much of its appeal. I prefer to eat at home, but enjoy conversation and company while at a restaurant.

I feel everybody is pointing fingers at me...lol Needless to say, i go out for breakfast and lunch quite often.

I’m with you. I haven’t gotten brave enough to do dinner by myself yet. ?

I rather enjoy it. I like to spend time by myself, to have nobody chattering away at me, just enjoying my food and my thoughts as I casually observe my surroundings. And on a few occasions it's worked out that I've struck up a conversation with someone and had a new experience that I wouldn't have had were I with friends or coworkers. But generally it's just about having a nice, quiet meal by myself without a lot of commotion or distraction.

I have in the past, but no longer eat out alone. Every time I did previously I had men hit on me. Even when I had my work computer in front of me working, there was always someone trying to get my attention. Now, I generally bring my lunch with me, and go to the park to eat in solitude.

I’ve never had that problem. ?

I guess I am just lucky. lol It probably doesn't help that I live in a small area and at the time was working in other small areas near my home. It may have just been because I was new and different.

Done it. It was ok. But for a long time now, I like knowing what's in my food - so I enjoy my own cooking mostly !

I do it all the time, in fact, twice today already and the special at my favorite cafe tonight is hamburger steak. Not only will I dine alone, I'll sit at the counter! How many counter sitters are there out in A land? That could be a discussion post!

I haven’t worked my way up to the counter yet. ?

@Alliegirl You might like it. Ya never know till you try it.

I didn't like it at first either, but you will get use to it.

Hopefully one day. ?

I go out to eat alone all the time. Usually the waiter doesn't feel stressed about waiting on me like their other tables so they get to relax, and I don't have to wait on anyone else to place the order. It's great.

I don't mind it, but I don't eat out often though.

I stay in hotels for work, typically about 20-30 nights a year. An evening meal on my own is part and parcel of that.

The only awkward part is keeping yourself entertained while waiting for food. I've always had an electronc PDA or similar to keep me entertained, even before smartphones came along. But a magazine or a book would have worked just as well.

I don't have a problem eating out alone. I usually have a book when I do that. My wife hates eating in a restaurant alone.

We live in a society where while is OK for a guy to eat alone....is not so OK for the ladies.

@Gwendolyn2018 The fact you see women eating alone has nothing to do with the way society perceives us. I eat alone nine out of ten times....and about being : regional"....I live in New York...so the regional doesn't apply in my case. Safety? Nope. See, last week was not the first time a "gentleman" asked me why I was eating lunch alone. Men -hunters- are the ones who need to change about this issue.

@Gwendolyn2018 I must be special then....lol

@Gwendolyn2018 More like relying on what I overhead "few times". And this is New York,

I have no probelm with it. I tned to listen to audio books and just "reaqd" (listen) while I eat.

Sometimes I find great pleasure in jut enjoying my meal without any coversation.

Also I like to take life like this..

If ya ever find yourself on an island by yourself..Youd have to be comfortable.with just yourself for company.

Ya know sometimes ya for a take yourself out on a date..Sometimes I'm the best date I can find

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:45162
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.