Agnostic.com

41 17

What's your favourite building?

House, factory, even a church - anything goes. If you know anything interesting about it, share that with us too!

I'm going to choose the Einsteinturm, which was built in Potsdam in Germany between 1919 and 1921 as a solar observatory. I've chosen it partly because I think it's one of the most beautiful buildings in the world, and partly because it represents an era when a Jewish architect such as Erich Mendelsohn could be given a commission to build such a radical structure and name it after a Jewish physicist - only a few years before Germany, which I adore, entered the darkest period in human history.

Einstein, incidentally, doesn't seem to have liked it very much.

Jnei 8 Mar 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

41 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I also like Frank Lloyd Wright's house called Falling Water. It looks pretty neat with a river flowing through the house.

Does this qualify as a building? I find it fascinating.

It was built, so it counts! I worked on an archaeological dig at a site very close to it back when I was a student. 🙂

The Chrysler Building.

And here it is!

Frank Lloyd Wright’s Guggenheim Museum in Manhattan.

CERN.
Does that count?

Interior...

That certainly counts!

@scurry In a strange way, the interior is reminiscent of Gaudi.

@Jnei Ya, I can see that. 🙂

I have visited the Gateway Arch:

It may not be very ecological friendly but I still have an admiration of it.

My ex's family was from the St. Louis area, I've been up in the Arch a few times, and loved the museum.

Neuschwanstein Castle in Bavaria, the ancestral home of the Swan King, Ludwig II AKA the Mad King, sponsor of Wagner.

A superb building! I plan to go back there one day.

@Jnei have you been along the Loire Valley in France? Some pretty amazing structures there also!

@Wageslave Not yet. I haven't spent as much time as I'd like in France; so much of it to explore!

yep, that's a great one!

I have visited Neuschwanstein Castle before, it is a must see when you are stationed in Germany. It is fabulous! The stories of Mad King Ludwig are amusing, but sad.

"The Turtle" back home In Niagara Falls, NY. It was the Native American (Haudenosaunee) arts and culture center until it went out of business. I used to go there a lot. I am part Seneca and Mohawk.

the mosque at cadiz spain followed by alhambra , granada

Neuschwanstein because of it's fairy tale quality and Wieskirche. Yes Wieskirche is a church but after seeing so many dank, dark and imposing churches in Europe it was as if a great weight of oppressive expectations was lifted. It is open bright and pretty. It's also important to remember that Mad King Ludvig had Neuschwanstein built as a tribute to and symbol of German nationalism as laid out by Wagner. We all know what happened with that. @Jnei can you post pictures for these please? I have figured out how to do links but can't get the picture to show up. 🙂

@Wageslave has posted a nice one of Neuschwanstein in his answer. Here's Wieskirche 🙂

Every year I go up to DC on a school trip. There are three things I see that I love to see every year and never get tired of them. President Jefferson's home (Monticello), The Jefferson Memorial, and the National Cathedral.

Growing up in the Bay Area I have always dug the Marin County civic center. Designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.

Mr. Wright was a poet and an artist with architect tools.

The Cologne Cathedral

gater Level 7 Mar 30, 2018

Good choice. Christianity has a lot to answer for, but it's given us some superb buildings.

Climbed to the top of it twice...1983 and then again 2003?

@Jnei Absolutely, and this building was started in 1248. No cranes, no power tools. A historic and architectural wonder.

I am partial to Gaudi

I adore Gaudi! Here's the Casa Batlló, because the Sagrada Família is too obvious. Interesting fact about the Casa Batlló: all the internal walls can be easily moved around, so if you get bored of your apartment you don't have to move - you can just rearrange it to your liking.

@Jnei I didnt know about the moveable wall. that is so cool.

@MrLizard I think Barcelona/Gaudi could be a trip in itself

@Jnei that was the building I was thinking of, couldnt recall the name. THanks

@btroje Known locally as Casa dels ossos - the House of Bones.

Flying Saucer....

WOW..so beautiful.

My favorite building is a world favorite also..the Sydney Opera House. I loved seeing it when I was there and kept photographing it from the ferry boats as well.

Here are pics of the opera house in May 2005, one of me in front of it, one of me on the ferry boat with Sydney bridge and opera house in distance.

Old city hall in Richmond, Va, USA. My parents were married there 2 Feb, 1949. It now belongs to Virginia Commonwealth University.

To begin: Saint Basil's cathedral, Russia for the decorative spires. [en.wikipedia.org]

Also, the Ugly House, more correctly known as Tŷ Hyll, in Capel Curig, Wales - the English name comes from the stream flowing past it, the Llugwy. Nobody knows how old it is, nor who built it.

Jnei Level 8 Mar 30, 2018

Cool building.

great photos very impressive keep on keeping on

Another one of mine, Le Corbusier's Villa Savoye. In Canberra, Australia, the Villa has a "shadow" - it's identical in every way, except it's black.

Jnei Level 8 Mar 30, 2018

There are some huge shaped rocks somewhere weighing up to 5 tons I think that are so well shaped you can't get a human hair between them of different sizes made long before machines where hade that are mind-boggling and there's a temple or something in Asia that's been half taken over by strangler figs etc that's amazing.

You're thinking of the Sacsayhuamán ruins at Cusco in Peru. The temple taken over by vines is, I think, Ta Phrom in Cambodia. 🙂

that's it I think and both just amazing for completely different reasons.

My home after trees came tumbling down during a storm.

You have a very beautiful home 🙂

Thank you. Taken 7 years ago snowstorm on Halloween.

Whoa, interior photos are really cool too. Love it.

Off the top of my head I love this freaky hermit's heaven house in California, think I read somewhere someone high up in Facebook bought it not long ago, the Doolittle house.

Reminds me a little of Castel Meur in Plougrescant, Brittany.

Get off my lawn! Oh wait.... LOL

Serious fence is serious.... Rawwwr 😀

Pantheon

There are a few and they're all to do with the ancients. I chose the Museum Of Antiquities in Cairo because it symbolised a journey for me, academically as well geographically, and I just love to see and touch the ancients.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:46676
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.