Agnostic.com

85 9

Should women still act like women and men like men?

What I mean with this question is should the man be the one pursuing the woman and should women still be feminine and enjoying being courted?
Because of equality the lines have gotten so muddled that men sometimes feel insecure and women feel they have to be very strong. What is your guys take on it?

Lovewins 5 Mar 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

85 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Why would a woman have to ACT like a woman unless she wasn't sure she was a woman? why would a man have to ACT like a man unless he wasn't sure he was a man? and what does a woman or a man act like anyway? how do you define femininity? wearing makeup or heels? acting stupid so a guy can feel smart? some women are strong and others aren't as strong. the same is true of men. why does everyone have to follow the same path? if men feel insecure that a woman is strong, maybe that's just a little residual patriarchal privilege trying to be heard. i'd ignore it.

g

People should act in whatever way they are comfortable. Personally, I prefer "traditional" gender roles in my marriage.

I think that what was once the social norm when I was a teenager (overtly masculine sexual behaviour toward women), became less socially acceptable with the advent of feminism. The new gender sexual politics confused a number of young men from my era, who wanted to be mindful of not being overly chauvinistic, but at the same time also wanting to maintain a certain level of masculinity for perhaps fear of losing their gender identity. Certainly from my experience women tended to be became more sexually independent and not worry so much about the social morays. This was both great and scary, (sometimes at the same time), but I had lots of fun along the way. 🙂

RonB Level 5 May 15, 2018

What does it mean to be a woman? Does it mean to conform to rigid gender roles and gender norms? If I pursue a partner or do not like the trappings of femininity am I no longer a woman?
My take on it is you subscribe to conservative binary gender roles/norms and you have yet to realize that gender is a social construct, a performance and rather fluid, along a spectrum.

I love being pursued. If a woman has some degree of interest in me, I hate being expected to be a mind reader. I'm kind of androgynous in many ways as well. I'm attracted to "butch" women, not girly ones. I love women with body hair, etc. I don't mind paying for a date, but I don't think it should be expected of me just because of my anatomy. If we are atheists, we are unique individuals, right?

Don’t know what these roles entail, I act as my self, and let others classify the role

I like to think I'm egalitarian in sexual relationships. Of course, I am flattered when hit on by a attractive woman. However, as I think back on the relationships that have lasted in my life, I probably made the first move in most. All that being said, If you hit on me, I would probably respond in a positive way. 🙂

I'm old school.I think a man should treat a woman ,with great respect and viser versa . And yes a women should act like a women and a man like a man.

I think you'd have to elaborate on what a woman and a man should act like before anyone can understand your post.

@GoldenDoll At one time men would open a door for women, and she would thank you.Now some will look at you funny,no thank you..I try to be upfront with people. When I meet men or women I will smile, and bend my head a bit.You no it's kind of hard to put into words,And that is something new for Me.

No one should "act"......you should just "be", yes? This question bugs me in many ways.

Me too!

For me it seems this should be determined by the situation. In situations of dating and attraction I have been on both sides of the social fence. I have been pursued and I have been the pursuer. If I was to give my younger self any advice in this area I would say if you are interested go for it. Why wonder about what could have been; step up and find out.

I think this is a great question that does not have a simple answer. My answer is it depends on which generation you're asking. If you are asking someone who is older then they will be inclined to say yes because those are the norms they grew up with, those are the life circumstances that were dictated to them, so changing presents financial and psychological difficulties. If you ask someone younger then they will say no because they see the struggles which existed in the past and wish to enjoy an evolved existence with all the benefits that come from equal rights and equal responsibilities.

Im "older" and ive never put up with any rubbish about stereotypes. So please adjust yours.

I have to disagree! I'm older and do not consider the norms of my youth to be appropriate for today. I've evolved with the times and anyone I would even consider having a relationship with should have also.

@GoldenDoll This whole post is about stereotypical roles changing. I am speaking from experience. When I date an older women they almost always expect me to pay for everything. When I date younger women they offer to pay for half of the meal, the tip, or offer to buy some drinks. I have read a lot of literature on this topic that supports my position.

[bostonglobe.com]

@BeeHappy Just google the question. Do older women still expect men to pay for their dates?

[wsj.com]

@kensmile4u, ok, that might be most women but it's not me and never has been. I've always been an independent person. I will turn down an invitation if I can't pay my way. Having said that, IF someone offers to cover the cost I won't usually refuse and I will express my gratitude a minimum of twice. But that's me and I believe I'm in the minority. ?

@BeeHappy Thanks for being in the minority and thanks for being you! 🙂

@kensmile4u You're welcome. I couldn't be anyone else! Lol ?

You got to be exactly who you are,EVERBODY else are all ready taken, and who else could
you be, what ever you are ! That's one of the problems of this so called humanity they want you to be just like them , it boost their ego!

I will always practice a certain amount of chivalry. I am turned on also by a certain amount of "tomboyishness". I think it's about respect and the kind of person you want to be with.

I re read the second part. I didn’t think it was a problem for a woman to pursue. When both are pursuing you know it’s great.

I have to say I was not surprised to see the way the question turned. So I will be brief (well as brief as I can be)!
I believe that Men should behave as GENTLEMEN!
It's clearly about respect, courtesy, and here's an old fashioned term ... being proper!
In being such it confirms that men can be polite in such a way that a woman see's strength. Courteous enough to see conviction.
And show enough propriety that leaves no doubt that he is in the presence of a Lady!
Now if you're referring to relationships then Love her so much that you leave no doubt that she is your partner.
Listen so well that you leave no doubt that her thoughts matter.
Speak so well that you leave no doubt that any decision is mutual.
Lead so well that you're able to follow.
The lines are not blurred so much as one would think ... Offer to court ... smiles ... what fun that is.
I say it all starts with a conversation ... and let that lead where it may!
If I went on a tangent my apolgies!

Since most men, me included, can't fathom how to connect, I think there would be more connecting if women took over 😉

SamL Level 7 Mar 31, 2018

I've done it both ways. If a man wants to court me I'm all for it.

I think it would depend on the situation. I for one am not an agressive chaser, so if I don't get an I'm intersted signal then i do not push it. On the other hand I'm not opposed to being chased so it depends.

BillF Level 7 Mar 31, 2018

I do not think that traditional roles have ever worked well for everyone. I think each person should act according to the own natures and desires as to who pursues in courtship.

Gender roles are ridiculous and outdated. They served a purpose - possibly - in caveman times, but the industrial and informational revolutions have made them mostly obsolete. I do believe that we will see them decline in the next few generations. I certainly know that teenagers today see gender roles and gender identity as more spectrum-based than binary.

I think we should all act like who we are. The entire "act like" thing is societal pressure. I say screw societal expectations. Accept me as I am or fuck off. I'm a human who is made up of emotions, experiences, morals, and I will not conform to societal pressure. It's easier since I turned off the TV over 20 years ago. I'm not inundated with forced pairing expectations. Sometims I'm insecure (not very damned often) and that's okay. Be the change you want to see in society.

The key word in your question is "act". Men and women shouldn't act like anything and just "be", and not worry about fulfilling anybody's expectations. Granted that's easier to say than to do for a number of folks. But you shouldn't stop being yourself just because some arbitrary set of rules makes it harder. Men have always felt insecure, women have always felt the need to be very strong. Acting in a way that denies any of it will inevitably hurt you.

Lots of great comments. Apparently the whole dating, relationship or progreation dilemma has not changed much. At 65 the issues are the same, terms may have changed but the game is the same.

I have always been a bold, friendly and sometimes sassy person who is female. But a 'tomboy' at heart and prone to not following the stereo typical girl stuff. NOT a girly girl. When I dated as a young sexually active person, I did not so much go on dates when someone paid. I did resent it if the guy paid and he thought something in exchange was at the end of an evening.

I have to admit it was ALWAYS a challenge. I found when I was in the long term relationship, being my out going sassy self was less complicated. Seems direct eye contact is confusing for all of us on some level. Culture plays a role and adds to the complications.

I say just be yourself, discover yourself and talk, communicate.

Love your comment and I can relate.

People are people and there is a broad spectrum of behaviors that may or may not be related to their physical characteristics. It is an old issue but I think people just need to be allowed to be and not tie it to male/female masculine/feminine since a lot of those definitions vary subjectively themselves

People are going to have a spectrum of variation in sexual dimorphism, and this dimorphism can also be psychological, not just physical, due to all species of factors, really.

That being said, it's not really sensible to try to make people act a certain sex-specific way, when almost nothing is known about those people.

One can talk about health implications about certain lifestyles, but that's really it, anything else is going to be traumatic to a person.

A man can be masculine and a man can be feminine. A woman can be feminine and a woman can be masculine. That's my take on it anyways. There's nothing wrong with identifying as the gender you feel most strongly with. Whether that be cis or trans.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:46895
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.