Agnostic.com

85 9

Should women still act like women and men like men?

What I mean with this question is should the man be the one pursuing the woman and should women still be feminine and enjoying being courted?
Because of equality the lines have gotten so muddled that men sometimes feel insecure and women feel they have to be very strong. What is your guys take on it?

Lovewins 5 Mar 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

85 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Who makes the first move is neither important nor any real cause for concern. The worst case scenario is that the other person is not interested in a romantic relationship with you so maybe you become friends or you walk away or you nurse a bruised ego.

Years ago I chatted with a woman online and on the sixth or seventh chat she suggested that we could draw up a prenuptial agreement. At best I found her suggestion to be hilarious and at worst I considered her to be someone who is a con artist. She reminded me of another woman with whom I chatted for three consecutive days and on the third day she typed in the chat window: "I've got very expensive tastes," I replied: "I'm delighted to learn about your very expensive tastes, I hope you can afford them".

So, if there someone that you like online or elsewhere then simply pluck up the courage, break the ice, ask them out for a date in some public place where it is not too noisy so that you can get to know each other and decide if you want to pursue a relationship with that person, There is no need to turn it into a game.

Yes, I've run into three bloodsuckers this week. One just came out with a yes to my coffee invitation then added, "I'm looking for a sugar daddy". Needless to say the coffee date never happened.

@Count at least she was up front and didn't waste time

Just be yourself really. if you want something and its within your grasp ask away.

As an older man, I find it hazardous to treat women like women. I now treat them as objects, at least until I know them well enough where I can treat them like people without them taking offense to a compliment. All the Sexual Harassment training has drilled it into us men that women can be offended by anything.

At 57 years of age now, I grew up in a society where the man approaches a woman. I developed thick skin when it comes to rejection. When I was in sales it was useful to imagine yourself saying “thank you” after each rejection because you are on your way to a “yes” because the conventional wisdom suggested that you have success 1 out of every 10 attempts. It’s not as hard as I thought because after starting a conversation, eye contact, voice and body language belies a person’s attraction so you know whether to pursue a closer relationship. On the other hand, I would welcome initiation of interest by a woman. Her radar of intuition will inform her of where she stands probably quicker than a guy would notice. However, with a site like this, eye contact, body language and voice don’t apply. So we’ve got that going for us eh? ?

I'm not gonna lie, it would be really, really, really nice if I didn't have to do the chasing for once. At the very least it would feel good to know that I'm wanted. But I agree with the concensus here that games are getting old.

There are too many qualifiers needed due to the vast differences not only between different genders but within each particular one as well.

For me it seems this should be determined by the situation. In situations of dating and attraction I have been on both sides of the social fence. I have been pursued and I have been the pursuer. If I was to give my younger self any advice in this area I would say if you are interested go for it. Why wonder about what could have been; step up and find out.

I will always practice a certain amount of chivalry. I am turned on also by a certain amount of "tomboyishness". I think it's about respect and the kind of person you want to be with.

I re read the second part. I didn’t think it was a problem for a woman to pursue. When both are pursuing you know it’s great.

A man can be masculine and a man can be feminine. A woman can be feminine and a woman can be masculine. That's my take on it anyways. There's nothing wrong with identifying as the gender you feel most strongly with. Whether that be cis or trans.

The responses are all over the place here, and it is interesting. And as with any response, your experiences in life, age and many other factors guide your response. That said, from my vantage point, old school courting of becoming extinct. Although not extinct yet what of it is still alive has become muddled in confusion when it comes to roles and expectations.

Today I see men not being men and women not being women (of the old). Men have crossed the line with lack of respect for women. And women have lost respect for themselves. I have never been one to say a woman should subject herself to a man's stupidity or cruelty. And men should respect themselves enough to know "before" they cross that line. It's all about "me" today. Giving of oneself is a dying attribute. To pursue a woman with dignity and honor was enjoyable. To be pursued by a honorable man was worth her time was charming. Both understood their self worth. And understood you get me only if you are worth it. Once you get me...we live as one in peace and love.

Count Level 5 Mar 31, 2018

what do you mean by woman have lost respect for themselves? If it is related purely to sex, does that mean men have not had self respect from the start?

I am a Romantic, at heart and until I die, I write poems, songs... I treat the woman as a lady... I am very secure of never ending with a broken heart. But that is just me... because is how I choose to be. Every predator at some point will be a prey. Is the mating game. The trap is set... the hunter/hunted waits. But everything should be about you... Do you enjoy the courtship? Because if you dont... there is no fun and a man should understand that.

I wish a woman would make a move on me, I am tired of games

Do you know of a woman attracted to a guy but he wasn't attracted to her and, then, he ridicule her, laughed at her with his male friends, made negative comments about her looks.....was he embarrassed to be seen even talking to her? Do you know of a woman never invited out for not being a looker? I have heard / seen men behaving in such manner. If you did as well, you know why women won't approach a man.

@duchessa Men are treated this way by women as well, but we have to keep trying if we want to meet someone we like.

@Roadster I heard -never seen- of women treating men disgustingly....but I don't think it reaches the same level some men treat women.

@DUCHESSA I have actually seen a woman spit her drink on a man who approached her in a bar. So yes women can be as cruel as men.

@kensmile4u Did he say to her "Do you want to go to bed with me? "

@DUCHESSA No he asked her if she would like to dance with him. I was on stage playing the music they were all dancing to. i watched the whole thing happen. He left because he was so embarrassed. I have seen both men and women act incredibly cruel to each other from my birds eye view on stage.

@kensmile4u Well, she was an ass...I have heard men telling their friends they would never ask a lady to dance unless she was a looker...I have seen not so attractive ladies seating at the bar -alone- because men didn't care for their looks. I have hear / seen many of my students ridiculing their female classmates for not being # 10...and the ironic side of things is most of the men rejecting the ladies were fat / bold / not handsome....

@duchessa You have clearly only seen one side of the story. Men do the most of the asking so they also get most of the abuse when asking. Many women are quite gracious, but many are kind of horrible.

@DUCHESSA I have seen and do understand that there are two types of rejection. There is the interactive rejection that mostly men have to endure. Then there is the rejection of indifference that mostly women who wait hoping to be asked but never get approached endure. Usually as the night goes on alcohol and a good band helps to break the Ice.

@Roadster No, I have seen both sides....What I don't understand is the need to insult / attack the person asking for a dance / date. I don't understand, either, why most men ignore the ladies who are not lookers.

@kensmile4u No, is not always the case that a drink and good music break the ice.

@DUCHESSA That's why I chose the words usually helps. It doesn't always help everyone.

It is called chivalry, from the code of behaviour for the knights of old. I avidly subscribe to it, whilst also allowing a woman to "go Dutch" if she so desires. Why shouldn't men open doors and allow women through first? However, women should play their part and be gracious about it. Everyone ends up happy.

Of course it's fine for a woman to ask the question, but equally, she shouldn't have to. What's concerning is the increasing reservations that men seem to have about asking, for fear of being seen as predatory. Yes, men need to stop treating women as property. The objectification has to end. The Islamic world is a long way off achieving this, but the Western one is currently trying too hard, taking things too far, demonising and even criminalising the traditional human mating ritual.

No don't act like anything be yourself if acting is what you do best then by all means but it feels better to go with what feels natural to you.

In the past , women had little choice , in getting with the man she wanted . Yes she could flirt , if given the opportunity , but , it wasn't lady like to approach a man . Basically , she was left with only the accept or reject portion of a relationship , and even today , a man who is rejected , may feel he was shamed and depending to a large extent on his culture , may feel he has the right to punish or even kill a woman for rejecting him . In some cultures , the parents still arrange marriages , and the couple may not even meet the intended until just before the wedding . Hopefully , the parents will have what is best for the intendeds in mind , but unfortunately , it may have more to do with finances , or how the parents will profit , rather than if the intendeds are compatible . Today , in this country , more women are able to make their own choices , and can readily approach a man she may have an interest in . That doesn't mean she's going to get what she truly wants in a relationship . Men frequently turn down a woman , because he feels she's too aggressive , or he may think she's only interested only in a sexual encounter , and sometimes that is exactly what she wants .

I have to agree with most of the responses below. Different folks of both genders will approach things the way they feel most comfortable. Tho there is still a lot of the "old fashioned" attitude out there, & some of that is fine & fun, someone who doesn't fit that mold should not be worried about going their own way!

Guys feel insecure and women feel they have to be strong because a lot of the courting rituals are still heavily entrenched, not because they are changing. I'm all for everyone feeling free to be the pursuer, for discussions about when/if to marry (rather than big surprise proposals), and for not pretending women are prizes to be won.

I think that what was once the social norm when I was a teenager (overtly masculine sexual behaviour toward women), became less socially acceptable with the advent of feminism. The new gender sexual politics confused a number of young men from my era, who wanted to be mindful of not being overly chauvinistic, but at the same time also wanting to maintain a certain level of masculinity for perhaps fear of losing their gender identity. Certainly from my experience women tended to be became more sexually independent and not worry so much about the social morays. This was both great and scary, (sometimes at the same time), but I had lots of fun along the way. 🙂

RonB Level 5 May 15, 2018

You should be yourself. If you enjoy being pursued great. if enjoy pursuing then have at it.

It's different now. We also have more transgender people coming out as well. #Metoo is out as well. Men aren't asking as many women out because they are afraid of sexual assault charges.

@wpayton5599 Men in real life around me never ask me out. I'm fine with that.

When It Comes Too Romance I Think Men Still Court Women With Chivalry.

Coldo Level 8 Mar 31, 2018

I think depending on what the parties like to do for one another
If you are ahppy with that i don't see there is a problem.

Rosh Level 7 Mar 31, 2018

Promoting feminism is a propoganda of media to get attention heigher TRP.
Feminism is not to roam naked arround,but feminism is the feminism of Marrie Curie,Klara Zetkin,Kalpana Chawla etc.
Men have no HAZARD from true feminism,but provided feminism to be feminism.

FAIZ Level 5 Mar 31, 2018

The problem is most people think FEMININE and FEMINIST are one and the same. A woman can be both...and the art resides in how to deliver each one.

So why do you get to decide what feminism is? If she wants to walk around naked, she should be able to!

@GoldenDoll raming naked is not a part of feminism. Its a Vugerity which infects feminism.
Feminism impoves the worst scenario of women not let them allow to roam naked.
Clothing and culture must be decent not to be vulger.
Men also don't have right to roam naked on the public place.
We are human with brain not animal.

@GoldenDoll and i didn't decide what feminism is.
But international personalities of feminism decided it.
They didn't support nudity in feminism.
But i can see the only meaning of feminism is nudity,sex,and alcoholism its not a life.
Life is beyond such type of things.

@DUCHESSA somethings may be different but self-respect and serve better for the society are essential elements of humar character.
Nudity and yankee culture are not the part of feminism.
Feminism is a holy thing which can not be bargain with any deflative culture.
I support women education,they have right to work and have right to walk by equal shoulder with men.
But vulgarity with feminism is not Huminatarious.

@FAIZ Holy? Mate you're on the wrong site. And thanks so much for your approval for women to be educated - how very gracious (& mediaeval) of you.

@FAIZ Maybe us girls should all wear burkhas. You've got a long way to go before you're free of your obnoxious religion.

@FAIZ - You are very restricted in your views - I hope you use this site to educate yourself and realise that what you believe just might not be true!

@FAIZ - You can't just say stuff and expect people to believe it - back it up with some facts,evidence, links. Your type of comments are what were trying to avoid here.

@FAIZ Somehow I pity you.

@GoldenDoll and i am not a wrong and nobody has right to decide it.
Women empowerment must be encourage but vulgarity with men and women must not be allowed.

@GoldenDoll i don't promote burkha tradition i am against it.
Infact my mother don't wear it.
So its a rumor of ur thoughts,whatever.

@GoldenDol if i am not restricted,i might not be using this sight.
Try to understand there is is thin difference in modernism and vulgerity.
I am only against vulgerity. Wearing jeans,tops etc its okay but intentionally roaming around on a public is not adequate madam.
If my daughter roams arround than i will feel that i i educate her to do something better for the world. She may change the world. Roaming naked will change the world.
Ideology of marie curie,preeti lata wadedar,kalpana chawla,klara zetkin may change the world,they didn't roam naked.
U must first read them.they were true feminist.

@GoldenDoll i don't pay attention to the response of my comments.
First thing mam,please don't thing anything wrong about me. I am not a such person which u are thinking about me, i am not a orthodox person.
I want to encourage everything but without vulgerity.
Everyone has right to wear everything but at the right place.
For instance if i roam naked arround to my parents than it will be not adequate they are my parents and i should respect them.
Try to understand what do i want to say?
Please don't take pre requisite about me.
A single comment can not judge my whole personality.
Whatever nice to talk to u, you are good lady. And i am not a wrong person ?

@DUCHESSA mam u are taking it wrong. What do i convey? U must understand.

@FAIZ Bye

@duchessa ?

<That is up to the individual. Less I remind you that you will be treated as you are precieved!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:46895
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.