Agnostic.com

85 9

Should women still act like women and men like men?

What I mean with this question is should the man be the one pursuing the woman and should women still be feminine and enjoying being courted?
Because of equality the lines have gotten so muddled that men sometimes feel insecure and women feel they have to be very strong. What is your guys take on it?

Lovewins 5 Mar 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

85 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We really have botched it all up haven't we?
Last thing I want if I invite a co-worker for coffee is for her to jump up yelling sexual harrassment. Should men act like men and women like women? Yep, I guess, but, how is that? Different cultures, countries times. Ask 100 people and get 110 opinions. Imagine, the one in a million person is finally in your circle and neither is up to making the first move. FAIL!
My advice for what it is worth, which is less than nothing on this topic. If you see someone you are interested in and they havent made any move then what do you lose by making it? In a workplace guys are probably at more risk of problems from this approach.
Again if one is interested, male or female, they should say so.
Makes me fear for our society when such an attractive lady is faced with this dilema.

I have to say I was not surprised to see the way the question turned. So I will be brief (well as brief as I can be)!
I believe that Men should behave as GENTLEMEN!
It's clearly about respect, courtesy, and here's an old fashioned term ... being proper!
In being such it confirms that men can be polite in such a way that a woman see's strength. Courteous enough to see conviction.
And show enough propriety that leaves no doubt that he is in the presence of a Lady!
Now if you're referring to relationships then Love her so much that you leave no doubt that she is your partner.
Listen so well that you leave no doubt that her thoughts matter.
Speak so well that you leave no doubt that any decision is mutual.
Lead so well that you're able to follow.
The lines are not blurred so much as one would think ... Offer to court ... smiles ... what fun that is.
I say it all starts with a conversation ... and let that lead where it may!
If I went on a tangent my apolgies!

I think it would depend on the situation. I for one am not an agressive chaser, so if I don't get an I'm intersted signal then i do not push it. On the other hand I'm not opposed to being chased so it depends.

BillF Level 7 Mar 31, 2018

The key word in your question is "act". Men and women shouldn't act like anything and just "be", and not worry about fulfilling anybody's expectations. Granted that's easier to say than to do for a number of folks. But you shouldn't stop being yourself just because some arbitrary set of rules makes it harder. Men have always felt insecure, women have always felt the need to be very strong. Acting in a way that denies any of it will inevitably hurt you.

People are going to have a spectrum of variation in sexual dimorphism, and this dimorphism can also be psychological, not just physical, due to all species of factors, really.

That being said, it's not really sensible to try to make people act a certain sex-specific way, when almost nothing is known about those people.

One can talk about health implications about certain lifestyles, but that's really it, anything else is going to be traumatic to a person.

I think people should be free to behave in ways that please themselves.

I tend to be dominant and a blend of both masculine and feminine. So if I wanted a particular man, I pursued him, and didn't wait for him to notice me. The key to my success was, I think, putting men at ease, being open and curious, warm and affectionate, taking a deep interest in them, touching them frequently (their hand, their arm) and being comfortable talking about sexuality.

We tend to forget what the past was like "When men were men" and women couldn't wear a short dress without being called promiscuous. You might be tempted to say we can separate out those negative social norms, but I would argue that you can't have it both ways. You can have a strong man (Domineering and in control) in the privacy of your bedroom, but if you have men acting like that outside, in the world, it will come at the expense of equality and respect for women.

@OnaM I need more information. I don't understand what you're objection is. Please if you don't mind be specific.

I understand what you're saying and agree!

No one has mentioned Selective Service. As for dating, I'm open to being approached.

Many years ago, when I came to this country, I enrolled in college. Because my first name is gender neuttral ( by strange American rules) I received a letter from Selective Service demanding that I register with their agency. I ticked all the right boxes on the form , not a citizen, not male, not interested in war mongering (just kidding, not a choice on the form), sent it in and lived happily after after. I wonder if this is still a thing?

@Spinliesel it's still required of all 18 year old males.

@farmboy2017 I am surprised. In many countries, equality means exactly that, equality.

@Spinliesel We have selective service and selective equality.

@farmboy2017 But selective service has not actually applied or been enforced since the 70s so why bring it up as if it is a real modern day threat?

@psychdemifemgal it's still the law. An enforceable law at that.

I've never been an alpha male so for me it would be best if it changed.

@OnaM @OnaM no

Personally i think it will all come out in the wash. It's individual and whatever works with who you are spending time with. Some women i know would be horrified by anything but joint decisions on everything pretty much (rightly so imo). Other females i know actively want mild dominance and a man to be a man / primate lol.

I'm all for being courted, but I also don't see anything wrong with a woman making the first move. The only time this becomes an issue for me, is when it becomes something I "have 2 do". Example, if a guy asks me out, takes me 2 maybe dinner and a movie, I will bring my own money, cuz u never know, but if you're the one who asked me out, I expect u 2 pay, it has nothing 2 do with him being the man or whatever tho, if I ask him out, I expect 2 b the one paying. If that's a problem then yes it can bother me. But as far as just trying 2 b polite, if someone opens a door 4 me I say thank u, but I open doors 4 both guys and girls 2 so I don't really look at that kind of thing like its something only guys do

Byrd Level 7 Mar 31, 2018

I've had women ask if I wanted to go to dinner, suggest the place, and sit motionless when the check comes. That's a last date.

I've always been a bit different. Men can persue women in the traditional way if they like. It depends on the woman and is really up to her anyway if she likes that. Personally I can be persued and you can even make more money than I do. I'm big and strong but not macho. Either way is OK with me if I like you.

I personally don’t care for games, pageantry, or little chases. I think relationships should develop organically through mutual demonstrations of love and caring.

What one is looking for in a mate depends upon the individual tastes of those involved. Neither woman nor man should misrepresent their respective degree of femininity and masculinity. These are false constructs which relationships cannot survive because they require a great deal of energy to conceal. Ultimately, nature will assert itself and the truth will be exposed for what it is.

It’s best just to be oneself. Those who seek long enough will eventually find.

People should pursue each other. And they tend to know who the right one is. The same goes for gay relationships. One person tends to be more dominant.

I'm old school.I think a man should treat a woman ,with great respect and viser versa . And yes a women should act like a women and a man like a man.

I think you'd have to elaborate on what a woman and a man should act like before anyone can understand your post.

@GoldenDoll At one time men would open a door for women, and she would thank you.Now some will look at you funny,no thank you..I try to be upfront with people. When I meet men or women I will smile, and bend my head a bit.You no it's kind of hard to put into words,And that is something new for Me.

I think this is a great question that does not have a simple answer. My answer is it depends on which generation you're asking. If you are asking someone who is older then they will be inclined to say yes because those are the norms they grew up with, those are the life circumstances that were dictated to them, so changing presents financial and psychological difficulties. If you ask someone younger then they will say no because they see the struggles which existed in the past and wish to enjoy an evolved existence with all the benefits that come from equal rights and equal responsibilities.

Im "older" and ive never put up with any rubbish about stereotypes. So please adjust yours.

I have to disagree! I'm older and do not consider the norms of my youth to be appropriate for today. I've evolved with the times and anyone I would even consider having a relationship with should have also.

@GoldenDoll This whole post is about stereotypical roles changing. I am speaking from experience. When I date an older women they almost always expect me to pay for everything. When I date younger women they offer to pay for half of the meal, the tip, or offer to buy some drinks. I have read a lot of literature on this topic that supports my position.

[bostonglobe.com]

@BeeHappy Just google the question. Do older women still expect men to pay for their dates?

[wsj.com]

@kensmile4u, ok, that might be most women but it's not me and never has been. I've always been an independent person. I will turn down an invitation if I can't pay my way. Having said that, IF someone offers to cover the cost I won't usually refuse and I will express my gratitude a minimum of twice. But that's me and I believe I'm in the minority. ?

@BeeHappy Thanks for being in the minority and thanks for being you! 🙂

@kensmile4u You're welcome. I couldn't be anyone else! Lol ?

You got to be exactly who you are,EVERBODY else are all ready taken, and who else could
you be, what ever you are ! That's one of the problems of this so called humanity they want you to be just like them , it boost their ego!

I've done it both ways. If a man wants to court me I'm all for it.

I do not think that traditional roles have ever worked well for everyone. I think each person should act according to the own natures and desires as to who pursues in courtship.

People are people and there is a broad spectrum of behaviors that may or may not be related to their physical characteristics. It is an old issue but I think people just need to be allowed to be and not tie it to male/female masculine/feminine since a lot of those definitions vary subjectively themselves

We live in an androgynous society.

It is all circumstantial. I do not suffer fools gladly, as the saying goes, and I expect to be strong when life demands it. My partner should do the same.

No now that #Metoo! has come out of the closet, there will be more woman pursuing men. And thats if men feel comfortable with it. Feeling comfortable in your own skin as people not opposite sexes. Everything is going to change from here on end. Hopefully people are not going to get weirded out about it.... Equality has been formed pretty much back in the 60's, for race, religion and sex. I do believe it will carry on into the so called "New Age" thats coming about.

I believe that human should be human.
So much in this world can change someone, shape that someone, make it different from the neighbourg or the next guy. I believe that what is happening is that society whants us to be different. They want us to be mold in a very diffinitive way. Mans have to be square and women must be circle (or trianle, or rectangle. Use the shape you prefer here).
But the more we evolve and the more we see that his is not it. Some mans are women trying to act like man because of some stupid book writen 1600+ years ago. And some women want to be man, but they have to hide it.
And we believe that we have to act like this because of this society we are in.
We HAVE to be productive, we HAVE to have a good job, we HAVE to have the house, the car, the boat, the cat been chased by the dog, the kids, the canoe, we HAVE to get it together. And somewhere along the lines, we lost what it was to be human. And man are insecure beause they no longer know what it is to be... and women feel like they HAVE to be strong otherwise they won't make it, they won't be, the kids won't be feed, the family won't become because her man or her women is down on her knees, wondering: "Where the heck am I? What the heck am I?" Where the hell did we go wrong?
Society has messed us up. We no loger know who we are. We are being brainwashed and bombarded by subliminal signals everywhere and we wonder what is happening. "Obey!" "Consume!" "Listen!" "Work!" "Pray!" "Good boy! Here is your pay"
Humans are stong. We don't have to pretend. But our foudations are now so week that we have problems getting out of bed. We need to rediscover what it is to be human. From there, we will all blossom.

I deliberately have not read any of the comments here. Because, ultimately, I really don't give a toss what other people think. Life is a constant state of negotiation; relationships are no different. You calibrate your experience with another person based on how the two of you interact. I'm happy to take lead; I'm happy to be taken. In bed, I'm just as happy as Big Spoon as I am as Little Spoon. I don't care. As long as she and I work out something we're both happy with, then joy to the world. And that's it, really. Here endeth my sermon.

I'm sincerely curious how it works in life and in your relationships to not "give a toss what other people think" in terms of relationships -- in real life, one-on-one, friendships, and even this online community.

It strikes me as odd ---and, truthfully, as self-centered and closed off -- how many people (not just you) want to participate in this community, but ultimately treat it as a one-way street. One way in that they give "sermons," and "drop their two cents" and move on without reading others' input.

How do conversations happen, and how can friendships - platonic or romantic - develop (in real life and in an online community) if too many people enjoy just talking and not listening or interacting?

@BlueWave There are topics where I am interested in the views of others. This is simply not one of them. I apologise if I have offended you.

@Palindromeman I am not at all offended, but thank you for your thoughtfulness. ? I truly just don’t understand the mindset of some people not wanting to actually interact with others, and instead just want to give their opinions and move on.

You did not specifically say that you didn’t give a toss what others think on this one specific topic. The way I read your statement was that you, in general, don’t give a toss what other people think. Did I misunderstand?

@BlueWave In short, yes, you misunderstood but I contributed by being less than clear. For the purposes of complete clarity, relationships are a sore point for me right now. I operate via point to point navigation, that's it; I don't need other voices in my head on the topic. Get me going on any other topic and I am there.

@Palindromeman Gotcha. 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:46895
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.