Agnostic.com

34 6

Do Atheiests/Agnostics Celebrate Easter?

Do you cellebrate Easter? I intend to abort chicken embryos and eat them. I used to boil them alive first, but now I scrambble them and get it over quick. Then I might slowly dismember a rabbit effigy made of chocolate. I do all the evil atheist stuff. So what do you do.

jeffy 7 Mar 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

34 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well I'm not a believer in either Goddess Eostre or magical Bunny Rabbits. But if christians can hijack the spring festival for their own rebirth myth I've no problem encouraging my children in a family tradition of solving riddles to find chocolate.

Add partaking of an amputated hog leg to the list of atrocities and that will be my day.

Yes, I share humorous atheist memes.

I celebrate easter as more of a spring festival than some kind of supernatural thing. My kids always enjoyed coloring eggs and getting their candy!

Kind of funny that the traditional Easter symbols are all more or less pagan fertility symbols. I mean really, eggs, bunnies, baby birds? It's all a natural part of Spring - The resurrection story is much like the rebirth of nature in the springtime after the "death of life" in winter.
So why not hide eggs for the fun of kids hunting them and eating a chocolate bunny?
Now that my daughter is no longer a child, the only Easter tradition I enjoy is watching the most melodramatic movie of all time - The Ten Commandments.

The fact that we get two paid days off work (here in Australia anyway) is reason enough for celebration! Thank you fictitious messiah.

Colored eggs, chocolate rabbits, candy, etc., all in celebration of the stay of spring...Easter is a wonderful pagan holiday, and I don't get why everyone is so down on it! 😉

My family has a traditional egg fight that I hate. Not for any rational or ethical reasons, I just don't like it. So I always volunteer to video it. Everyone has a hard boiled egg and has to use it to hit and crack another person's egg. Last one with an uncracked egg wins.

Except for the cute decorations and the coming of warmer weather, I'm not a fan of Easter. I'm off work for a week and I have a TON of things to do, and I have to commit a half a day to the obligatory holiday family gathering. Bah humbug.

Actually sounds like fun. I grew up in the UK and every Autumn, kids across the country would pick "conkers" (horse chestnuts), screw a hole in the middle of it, put a piece of string through the hole with a knot at the bottom, then take it in turns trying to smash your opponents conker. If your conker survived a conker fight, it was called a "oner", two fights...a "twoer" etc etc. This has nothing to do with easter btw so please excuse the non-sequitur, your post just sent me on a nostalgia trip....sorry about that. Enjoy what's left of your easter and happy egg-cracking filming!

@ChrisMarshall ? your game sounds much more likely to end in injury 🙂. Did anyone ever get a black eye playing this?

@carlyhorton I remember collecting them for the boys and that they sometimes pickled them in vinegar to make them harder. I'm from UK too

@carlyhorton: Not really...occasionally you copped one on the thumb or finger which wasn't pleasant (the odd black fingernail here or there), but conker season was really exciting as a kid. I no longer live in the UK, and I've heard that they've banned conker fights from schools; dunno how true that is, you may know @jacpod? I remember the vinegar trick too, I think some people used to bake them in the oven for a short while too to try and make them harder? I remember that some kids would patently lie, telling you that they've got a "tenner" (won 10 fights) but didn't even have a scratch on it. You don't get conkers in US @carly horton? If you do, you could start a new craze! I believe they're actually from the hore-chestnut family, although they're not an edible variety: [en.wikipedia.org]

@ChrisMarshall yes they were banned a long time ago fragments of conker goign in childrens eyes not that I ever heard of that happening but maybe it did at some other schools what part of england were you in ? I was in Lee Green London

@ChrisMarshall I Googled it and was delighted to see that there are whole web pages devoted to this conkers game! There's a whole set of rules and everything! It makes more sense now that I see that one player keeps his or hers stationary while the other strikes. I was picturing a lot of running around wildly swinging them around like helicopter blades and hoping that the conkers connect.

@jacpod, aha. Likewise, never known of it myself (fragments into eyes) but certainly got bruised knuckles and fingers, although that was all part of the fun. I'm from Nottingham, emigrated to Australia when I was 15. I've never heard of Lee Green, is it central London or heading out toward the home counties? I'm presuming you're in the U.S. now (apologies if I'm incorrect)...how old when you moved?

@carlyhorton: Yeah, it's not quite the anarchy you were envisaging. It really was great fun as a kid. The most exciting part was picking them from the tree and finding a real beauty. I think they still have national competitions throughout the country where they insist on providing the conkers so people can't tamper with them and cheat, as @jacpod was alluding to. I go back there reasonably regularly to spend time with my dad and have introduced my daughter (born and bred in Australia) to the joys of conker fights - she loved it! I'm assuming it doesn't happen in the U.S.?

For me it's about spending time with family and tradition. I love all traditions. They bring back good memories. I want my daughter to have them too.

I will take my film group to a matinee and lunch...pretty much what I do every Sunday.

Felt like buying a spiral ham - they were on sale - tomorrow my roomie and I are having dinner. We never eat together.

We limit ours to offerings by way of cash to the chocolate bunny god, then partake of his flesh.

Just another quiet Sunday for me. The weather forecast is threatening snow, so I'll probably hibernate.

Deb57 Level 8 Mar 31, 2018

Unless they very recently came out of a chicken your eggs were already dead, since they had to be pasteurized.

No blowing up Peeps in the microwave? (I think I taught all my nephews and niece that one.). Use a paper plate.

I tried that one year, but finding a microwave large enough for my peeps was too hard. I made a note to find smaller friends who would be OK with that. No takers so far. Was it hard to clean up?

@jeffy Well you let it get really big - you don't explode it however - mess!

Yes, I share humorous atheist memes.

I don't celebrate any religious events but my children always had gifts at the same times that other children were getting them.

I do not. This year I found it ironic that Easter fell on April Fools Day. I usually sleep in, eaat my breakfast and watch golf on TV.

I think anyone can celebrate Easter for different reasons. Some are overjoyed that there's a few days off work, some because of the trees losing their leaves, some just because they have more time for recreation..........

Shrugs shoulders They can if they want to.

I don’t. Tomorrow, I’m going to an industrial/afropunk show 200 miles away

The Cadbury Reeses, and Robin Egg fairy usually visit and leave delicious offerings of egg shaped chocolates. We sometimes do a big dinner out of tradition and an excuse to make delicious food we only seem to make on the holidays, but mostly we just go about our every day lives...it's just a Sunday for us.

Haven't done anything special for Easter in years!

The eggs and the chocolate part? Yes. The zombie jesus part where people symbolically eat his flesh? Heck no.

Like that, zombie Jesus - could be a TV series maybe, The Godhead Dead?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:47431
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.