Agnostic.com

21 1

How do u handle holidays?

Most of my family isn't super religious, like most of them don't go 2 church, but they do celebrate christian holidays. So I was just curious as 2 how all of u lovely folks deal with it. Do u completely boycott it? Do u pretend 2 go along with it? I personally don't make it a point 2 state that I'm not religious, but if its brought up, I don't try 2 hide it, but I attend my grandmas get togethers. I go for the company and good food. Not 2 celebrate a god or something like that. But I know it bothers my grandma so I just don't mention it 2 her

Byrd 7 Apr 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have 3 grown children that are agnostic or atheist. We still use the Holidays as excuses to get together, eat good food, enjoy a drink and each others company. We just don't celebrate the associated religious aspects of the day.

My family is very diverse. We have a Jew, a Buddhist, my daughter and I are Pagan, and the rest of the family is Christian. We called Christmas the Judeo/Pagan/ Christian gift exchange orgy and feast. We had great celebrations and no one mentioned religion.

Omg! That's great! But I think my grandma would have a heart attack if I called one of her get togethers an orgy!

You are well on your way to collecting the whole set! 🙂

Just another lovely day , to me.

I don't participate. If I'm somewhere that they begin prayer I don't knod, hold hands, or close my eyes. If possible I'll leave the room.

Try being in the room and looking around at everyone else as someone does the praying. If you find another person looking around also you might have found a friend.

I am always good for a feast and conviviality as long as the prayers are short and I am not saying them

Feed me, Seymore!

Without wanting to be pointed, but that is such an American question to ask. In Australia, we generally take the four day long weekend and head down to the coast. Or binge watch Netflix. Apart from the fringe, the question is not do we boycott - rather, it's can we be bothered. Religion is not a presence, it's an absence here. But I do get cultural differences - and, clearly, the US is a very churchy going country.

That is fascinating! I have always admired Australia and this just makes me like it more! It isn't all churchy folks here, but I will say that the ones who are tend 2 b very pushy. I guess the reason I ask it that way is because when I first really thought about weather or not I believed in a god, I was just a messed up kid, I kinda went a little extreme, I hated god, I thought if someone could do or condone such horrible things and they were all powerful, they must b an aweful being. As I got older I realized I didn't really believe in a god so there really wasn't anything or anyone 2 b mad at. At least not in a higher power sense. I suppose I was just trying 2 use that as one end of the spectrum and pretending 2 go along with it as the other. I guess I was just trying 2 make sure a broad range of options was available.

@Byrd That is all cool. Let's face it, we none of us get to choose how/where we are born. You just have to make the best of it. Having said all that, I don't for a moment dismiss societal pressures and norms. If you grow up in a small town where everyone wears a chicken on their head every second Sunday, it's difficult not to wear that chicken. Clumsy metaphor, but I hope you get my drift. Ugh - religion. Such a succour to many - such an irritant to so many others.

@Palindromeman probably the best comparison I've ever heard! Thank u 4 making me laugh, I honestly needed 2, but didn't think i would 2day!

@Palindromeman i live in the southern state of Louisiana and it’s VERY churchy. Almost everyone goes to church at some point, if not regularly. And on Easter, the social media was just nonstop posts of “He has risen!” And all I could think was, “Again?! Didn’t he do that already?” ?‍♂️

@Lunashadow You often see LOL as shorthand, but I really honestly laughed out loud at that. What, do the church elders think they won't be able to re-light the candle on Easter Sunday? I mean, it's the same old story, innit? What if He decided to have a lie in? Or take off for the Bahamas for the holidays? Anyhoo, I've only been to New Orleans once (pre Katrina) and I loved the food and the music. I must get back sometime.

@Palindromeman I’ve no idea how the male symbol popped up (pun intended) in my message. However, I was just contemplating the drudgery of church yesterday. I was raised Jehovah’s Witness, so we didn’t celebrate Easter, opting instead for the Passover on the first full moon of April, or something like that. Been a long time, don’t recall. Just passed the wine and unleavened bread. My mom still invites me every year, and I still hear the word “No” firmly eject from my mouth before I even have a chance to contemplate it! Anyway, I had the good fortune to see some of Australia’s Coast in 2016! Started in New Zealand, then went to Fraser Island, took the ferry, and up the coast to Sydney. It was a fantastic trip!

@Lunashadow If you ever come back to Oz, give me a shout and I'll show you around. Like the US, it is a big country! A JW childhood? Yes, it does sound dreary...

I just usually try to mind my own business and just treat them as any other day of the week. I don't care if other people celebrate them so long as they aren't all in your face about it. Certain holidays like Easter I get a good chuckle out of because it's easy to make fun of and I do enjoy holiday memes.

I go along with things to a degree but my family knows I no longer believe. I go to their dinners and gatherings a few times a year. They also know not to talk to me on belief either or I'll get you into a place where you have no answers at all. You can tell me that if you found a bat wing it would be proof of a designer. I'll tell you it is proof of Batman. (Just kidding.)
This Easter was spent home alone and it rained and was gloomy all day.

I go to these family holidays, and I'll avoid taking part in any religious traditions or prayers, but I do enjoy the time I get with my family.

For me, a holiday is a day off of work. Nobody in my (small) family prays. Religion is a non-issue.

I treat them the same as I always did. I was with my family for Easter today. They put on the dopey Jesus Of Nazerath movie in the other room and me and my kids just rolled our eyes and continued having fun with everyone as we always do. It doesn't impact us at all. Of course it helps that my family isn't very religious, thankfully.

I actually enjoy the holidays as it gives me an excuse to stay home and do some work around the house. I do not watch anything that is on TV but I will watch some movies on Netflix.

It's a festive season that's based on pagan rituals that Christianity hijacked in order to convert more people. I think the holidays are great and keep the religious aspect out it as much as possible. Axial tilt is the reason for the season.

Proslytizing your atheism can be as annoying as any other form of proslytizing, so I just generally dummy up around religious people = as long as they don't get pushy with their beliefs. I try to hang with others of my unbelieving ilk and then we make fun of religion.

I love pointing out the Pagan ritual history of Christian holidays to conservative family members, frequently and loudly.

I will use any excuse to join to any party or celebration, I am trying not to speak about beliefs or religions but I have to make some jokes about the Jesus, church etc.

I don't generally celebrate. I've been known to go out with friends if invited. They all know I'm an atheist, so there are no religious connotations involved.

I married a cultural Jew and so I have attended many Jewish holiday meals. All were about family and food with a nod to religion.

I must admit that my favourite moment was the time I was given a Passover Haggidah with phonetic Hebrew in it. When it came to my turn to read a passage, I used the phonetic Hebrew and everyone gaped in disbelief that I knew Hebrew. The laughter that followed when my ruse was discovered lasted a long time and was enjoyed by all. I have no idea what I read, but the universe continued without interruption.

My family was Christian, but, again, most holidays were about food, family, and fun.

When my daughter was in elementary school, she was included in a Christian Christmas concert. When I asked her what she thought the Nativity story was about, she replied that it was a neat story about a baby who would grow up to promote peace in the world. Religion had nothing to do with it.

Sometimes, I think we overreact to ordinary people exercising their culture, often for positive purposes.

For me it is a bit more complicated than for most people because the holidays for me is not really about religion (since I got nothing out of it that way) it is about the companionship. But it is also very much about the food, and alcohol because that is what social activities people primarily engage in during the holidays.

The food aspect is the most difficult because I had weight loss surgery three years ago and lost 150lbs. The post op diet restricts us from eating a lot of sugar and carbs and also drinking a lot of alcohol if we intend to keep the weight off. Being of Jewish cultural descent makes that extremely difficult as the cuisines are heavily carb focused. Some people who have had the surgeries are able to attend festivities during holiday seasons where these foods are being served en masse without it bothering them but I am not one of those people. It creates anxiety and anger and frustration. And when I do give in and eat it, I get very sick because I overdo it and my body can no longer handle it. So lately I avoid all festivities like this. It creates stress. It’s something I am going to have to work on for the rest of my life.

Although both of my parents were raised in different religions, neither of them were practiced in our home when I was growing up. We never attended any church and neither of my parents attempted to provide any spiritual guidance. We celebrated Xmas in the commercial way with a tree, gifts, sometimes we would connect with the larger family (my dad had two brothers and everyone was in the same area) and have a much larger gathering/gift exch. Easter was for hunting for the hidden easter baskets (I have two siblings). After I grew up and had my own family, easter was typically celebrated by going out to brunch (and no, nobody said grace, LOL!).

I do my own thing any time really

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:48208
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.