Agnostic.com

24 7

Any tips on how to not feel so weird about using dating sites/apps?

I think for me, some of the awkward feeling stems from never being in anything close to a relationship and my lack of confidence. I joined this site a long time ago and only used the dating feature temporarily because it just felt so odd. I'm trying to get out of my comfort zone but it's just so weird...

MusicMnstr99 6 Apr 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have been using dating websites on-and-off since 2008. Have met over 100 guys. Remember:

1. Nothing is real until you meet. Keep your expectations low. I refuse to get all twittypated over a man before meeting.

2. Insist on a telephone conversation before meeting.

3. Meet for lunch at a safe cafe' or restaurant. Sit in an "L" position at the table. Face-to-face can feel too intense like a job interview.

4. After lunch if things go well, invite him/her to go for a walk. Preferably in a park or along a river. It's easy to talk while you're enjoying nature.

5. Research shows with online dating, 80% of people post old photos and lie about their age, weight, height, profession, marital status and more.

6. SAFETY FIRST. Never get into a strange man's car. Drive yourself. Don't get drunk. Arrive early and notify a wait person that you are meeting a strange man. Ask if someone can walk you to your car if things go south. Daylight is safer. That's why I meet for lunch.

Excellent tips! I still haven't been in a relationship from online dating but I keep trying. Women have it easy because their inbox flows 10 to 1. Lol. The nature of it all I suppose.

@MrChange Most inboxes flow better when the outbox is also used.

@MrChange

Thank you. I enjoy meeting people and learn from everyone I meet.

A lot of those tips are also good for men (I get the feeling that this ought to be said for some overconfident types). While many women may appear physically weaker than most men, there are several (nefarious) ways of evening that playing field. And yes, while odds favor the man being the aggressor, don't be an idiot, fellas. But the underlying message, great tips for all to follow.

@PadraicM

Thank you.

@MrChange QUALITY over quantity. If you got all of those messages but they were creepy or disrespectful or perverse or just someone the opposite of what you are looking for, you would not be as impressed. I swear guys seem to think that because women get lots of messages, we have lots of options. NOPE. It is a matter of sifting through shit to find a diamond in the rough. blah

Based on what you’ve written, it seems your anxiety about online dating is an extension of your anxiety about dating in real life. Whether in person or online, our dating & relationship anxieties are similar. The difference is online you will be contacted frequently, and you’ll need some tools and information on how to respond. Here are some things I’ve learned:

1. Never take anything personally. You will get messages from men who have their own issues and agendas. Whether messages are positive or negative, don’t feel elated or confident or despondent or angry or insecure based on what they write. Figure out a strategy to de-personalize the message and deal with your feelings independent of the message. This could be hard to do but there are so many men who will court you or abuse you, and it won’t have anything to do with you. They don’t know you!!

2. Consider what you want, what pleases you, instead of whether you please them.

3. Don’t rush into anything, especially in the time of coronavirus.

4. Beware of scammers. Google online dating scams for the cautions.

5. Enjoy yourself. Have fun with the positive attention you’ll receive and laugh at the haters.

6. Follow @LiterateHiker’s advice below when you do decide to meet someone.

Good advice!

Desensitization. The more you do the less weird it will feel. Just be careful. There are a lot of crazy people out there.

I try to think of "online dating" as an introduction service rather than a dating service. You can expect to be introduced to people, but you have to achieve the dating on your own.

This may seem counterintuitive, but to avoid feeling awkward about online dating, I advocate the "go ugly early" method.

• I used a perfectly normal photograph. Better to have them pleasantly surprised when I show up looking cute, than to have them slightly disappointed when I don't look like some stunning photo.

• I was very upfront about my politics. This, to be fair, was back before our country was quite so divided - but may be even more important now.

• I made sure to emphasize a few of my negative qualities: I'm forgetful as hell - don't expect me to remember the name of that book you were talking about! I'm a pain in the ass to travel with - so don't get your hopes up about whisking me off to Hawaii!

This method was actually quite fun once I really got into it. I was also shy and awkward about the idea of online dating at first - but once I decided on gleeful honesty, it all flowed very naturally.

And it worked! I weeded out all those who were looking for perfection, and found someone as beautifully flawed as myself. ❤

When you were upfront regarding your politics, did you get a lot of negative messages? That's my fear, I am already trying to weed out those just looking to hook up. Don't really want to add a bunch of people telling me my opinions are wrong.

@Dunnottar I didn't get a lot of backlash over politics, no. (Maybe two or three out of a couple hundred responses.) I assume that those with different politics just skipped my profile, as I did theirs.

Again, though, this was a while ago, and things have gotten more divided since then.

I should mention that I got zero negative responses to my atheism. I assume that religious folks ignored me. The irreligious who contacted me, though, were absolutely delighted to find an atheist woman (we're not as common as atheist men.) If you use a specifically irreligious site, I suppose that it's a moot point - but if you decide to use a more general sort of dating site, it's still okay.

@Dunnottar after answering your question, I checked out your profile.

How do you NOT have men (or women?) pounding on your door, begging for your attention??!!? You're quite a catch! Damn!

Oh, I know, I know, beautiful people struggle to find love too...even when they're apparently awesome, what with fostering dogs and knowing mechanics and stuff...

@AmyTheBruce blushing thanks Amy. I've been told that I can come across intimidating to a lot of guys. (Physically I am 5'10" and years of horseback riding means I usually stand up straight) I can take care of myself, I don't NEED a man (doesn't mean I don't want one!) and I have been told that generally guys in our culture want to be needed, so maybe that is part of it.

My advice is less valuable, number one, because I'm a man and so I lose less if things go all fruit-shaped on a date. I guess I have more to fear from being accused but less to fear from an actual physical or emotional confrontation.

That said, just be yourself. You're not out to impress anyone. If they're impressed with you putting on a show, then you're going to be putting on a show forever for fear of what happens when you let your guard down. Don't be afraid to be funny, quirky, weird, shy, brash, whatever mood hits you... there's someone out there who is all those things and will find those qualities charming. I should know, someone finds me charming right now, weird, quirky, and brash as I am.

The important thing, other than being safe (and by all means be safe), is not giving up. It can be depressing or even heartbreaking to have dead end after dead end, but it's like sifting gravel in search of a gold nugget. There's a lot of gravel and not much gold in the world, but if you manage to find gold, it can be so very rewarding.

Always remember ... nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Besides the excellent advice posted by @literatehiker
I would add.. go into it looking for friends not a "match" ..
This does multiple things (but to lazy to type them all out lol )

@literatehiker ?

@bbyrd009 ???

@hippydog not seeing LH's excellent advice, sorry 🙂

@bbyrd009 you probably made her block list. Anyways here it is for the 3 or 4 people on her block list who don't have me blocked, because it is good advice. @LiterateHiker wants me to remove it I will.

"I have been using dating website on-and-off since 2014. Have met over 100 guys. Remember:

Nothing is real until you meet. Keep your expectations low. I refuse to get all twittypated over a man before meeting.

Insist on a telephone conversation before meeting.

Meet for lunch at a safe cafe' or restaurant. Sit in an "L" position at the table. Face-to-face can feel too intense like a job interview.

After lunch If things go well, invite him/her to go for a walk. Preferably in a park or beside a river. It's easy to talk when you you're enjoying nature.

Research shows with online dating, 80% of people post old photos and lie about their age, weight, height, profession, marital status and more.

SAFETY FIRST. Never get into a strange man's car. Drive yourself. Don't get drunk. Arrive early and notify a wait person that you are meeting a strange man. Ask if someone can walk you to your car if things go south. Daylight is safer. That's why I meet for lunch."

@bbyrd009 . . . likely because you have been blocked by LH. 😛

@1of5

Good call. I blocked him. Thank you for your supportive reply.

EDIT: I have been using dating websites since 2008, when my daughter graduated from high school.

@FearlessFly ah well i understand, i do tend to ask rather pointed questions i guess 🙂

Hey! what is your comfort zone? Meeting someone through friends or someone referring you and your date to go on a date? meeting a guy at school? I think it is in how you treat the apps. I am perfectly okay if I make more or new friends, even if the dating does not pan out. Most people in the online dating world (at least hetero men) are not down for that. So many that say we can be friends tend to disappear. But it becomes just like any other social media platform if I converse with others the way I normally would, just peppering in some flirting here and there. 😉

I've accumulated a lot of friends from dating sites. None of them want more than that.

@BitFlipper that sounds nice actually. I've only had brief chat buddies that disappeared in to the abyss. haha

Well, I've literally never dated anyone or had someone like me back 😅Not that I've really tried too hard cuz I'm an introvert and growing up I didn't feel like I desperately needed anyone. Now I feel kinda lonely and want to actually talk to people, even if it doesn't end up being anything. With not having that kind of connection with someone, I see it more like "well this kinda sucks" rather than "I desperately need to find someone like right now and can't handle another second of loneliness" yuh know? Hope that makes sense 😂

One more thing to add: Don’t believe in the algorithms some site use to match people. Use your own judgement. Exhibit A: You’re young enough to be my granddaughter and this site says we’re a 52% match 😅

lol, 50% is horrible. You're looking for 90 or higher, but yea, that's a good point. One site took my being a chef as my loving to do household work and wanted to be a dad. Just cause I said I love cooking...

There used to be a kind of stigma about dating sites/apps like the lonely hearts club once upon a time was somehow frowned upon. It is not so anymore, so you just go ahead and use them. Just use your wits about you and be safe, don't get into anything you feel uncomfortable about and good luck.

To be afraid or not; whenever something bothers a person about something they're doing, common sense requires that s/he explores what's bothering her/him. It's easier that fixing after the fact.

For example, are you afraid of not finding someone, finding an abuser, or finding someone you might actually love, potentially unreturned. And are you fears about some history?

If you're not sure, don't take the plunge until you are; but you can dip your toes in the water until you're comfortable with the depth and temperature.

This was maybe more than you wanted, but when i'm not sure about doing something important to me, i don't until i am sure. In between i reflect on what's bothering me about what i was planning to do.

And sometimes my intuition tells me no, it's not worth the efforts. LOL Especially if there are other options which might take me to where i want to go.

When it comes to fear there's always an option. Enjoy, whatever you decide.

Be cautious! Never can be too safe!

Okay, I looked at your profile and here is a few tips.
The internet is a great way for introverted people to meet others. Those life and soul of the party types can find someone at a bus stop or shopping mall but shy types find it hard. At your age dating sites have lots more guys than girls (it tends to even up nearer my age) so you are in a buyers market.
You are smart, artistic, and pretty, so do not put yourself down. Given those factors and the current crisis, you will have ample opportunity to sift through lots of prospects before even thinking of meeting anyone.
So put yourself out there and see what happens. Also do not be afraid to message someone first if you see a profile that suits you. Remember that you have full control. You can be as anonymous as you like until YOU decide not to be. Take your time and be choosy. Get to know as much about them as you can and msg a lot. This is not what I advise most women but you are young and times are weird right now.
Try and look them up on other sources like FB if you can. Of course, you should be careful but remember that this is supposed to be fun. There is someone out there right now that would just love for you to be in their lives.

Wow I cannot believe I forgot to tell her to message guys first. I do it so often that I assume all women are doing it, rather than sitting idly by waiting. Good advice

Are you weird? Be honest now. Or you just 'feel' weird.

All dating sites suck!!!

All they are good for is separating you from your money, by unfulfillable promises and over the top faux percentage matches!!!

Just know that if they are on the site as well, they are just like you. The scammers don't coun't nor the people there just for hook-ups. Those looking for relationships, feel just as uncomfortable. Just watch out for texts that read "Mongo run, ball far yoo?"

That's a scammer, so block them right away and NEVER send money. I know how big hearted Iowans can be, DON'T BE A SUCKER!! They'll mail you pics every day and text on the phone after they get your number and call you baby after 1 message etc. Just watch your back, its not hard to safeguard against that.

My #1 Rule is, BLOCK at any mention of money!!! Think about it: how often would money be mentioned in Any conversation, unless you are actually buying tickets for something, maybe

Absolutely nothing from this guy.. Even put off joining this place for the same reason… Maybe I’d gone cheap, but thought I was being ..safe when contacting a couple Craigslister’s that sounded reasonable. Their god! Figured ..if ‘online dating’ is anything like those experiences …. Ah shit ..at least I’m laughing.

But, gotta say, after three years here, there are several I’d trust completely.. Weird, but now assume, those who’ve ‘met me here,’ know me as well or better than most in ‘real life.’ But sorry, no help whatsoever on online dating 😕

Varn Level 8 Apr 19, 2020

Being awkward is about setting expectations ahead of the need to do so.
First thing is be comfortable and be safe. Meet in public.

Second is realize this is not a commitment.. its a hey, here is who I am, or who I am trying to be... does that interest you?

If not, smile, hug, move on.

How does that hurt?

Just think of it as a way to expand your social circle, because that is Exactly what it is!

There is an introvert group here so you are not alone. I don't date off of these sites as I am much too introverted, but I enjoy my contacts here on Agnostic.com.

Yeah..being out of your element and lacking confidence makes anything feel weird.. not just dating. No real advice just do it as long as it's a positive experience for you. Take a break when you've had enough.

This is not a dating site. I guess it is possible but when I joined, I explored that but found it to be an obvious no, at least for me. The problem with dating websites, either people don't know what they want, or they can't find it. Sometimes the timing isn't right. It's hard.

My best tip is to avoid texting and "hangouts" that dating scammers try to coax you into. People at any age should understand that words on a screen mean nothing and real people wanting to date will talk together on a phone. Try imagining if I had of flown to Africa to meet me now ex on the basis of texting. How do you think that would have worked out for me?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:486582
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.