Agnostic.com

24 8

Which religion has the most influence on the spread of covid19?

I haven't heard much about which prayers from which religions are doing the most good. You would think that they would be competing, in order to make converts.

toronto 3 May 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

How is this supposed to be measured, with total thoughts and prayers or in total ounces of blood of jesus?

The Presidential worshippers.

I don't think it's a "religion". We have an issue in America with our need to interpret the constitution in the most extreme ways in order to suit our needs. people show up to the capitol with guns and demand freedom from tyranny because they interpret their constitutional rights in a way that encourages them to. After that, you just need someone to blame for your "lack of freedom". We now live in a reality where how we interpret the nature of our country in very different ways. people are being pushed to take a side or right or left, religion just happens to be heavily on the right. So what has the most influence? the internet does. our need to connect has exposed us to manipulation on a scale that never existed before. now, anyone with a computer and money can reach you, appearing in whatever way they want to. Thanks to social media and e-commerce, those people have an endless amount of information about you. They can find out what you want to hear and make you listen to it over and over again until you will believe nothing else to be true.

They are all equally bad. But I am okay... I ponied up for the Jim Bakker Holy Water to avoid the Covid...

Churches in the US

Southern Baptists. Bar none. They keep breaking our stay at home orders to go to church. Where they spread the virus to everyone the come in contact with.

The cult of Trump.

Cult45

@ThisIsPatrick love that. I've been using TRUMP-45 virus or more accurately TRUMP-16 virus built Cult45 wraps in their obsession with guns. Nice.

@prometheus As much as I’d love to take credit for it, it’s been around.

@prometheus Never really thought about the guns angle, but it makes sense considering the obsession. Always thought of it more along the lines of the Jonestown cultists taking, or being forced, to drink the poisoned punch.

I'm not sure I really understand the question. I don't see the connection between religion and Covid-19 except that Evangelicals think they are immune and protected by the invisible man.

evangelical mega christianity to be sure. no contest. they are definitely spreading it.

g

Welcome to the asylum. Enjoy your stay.

Evangelicals and southern baptists seem to be doing the most damage down here.

How could they compete when no religion's thoughts and prayers have ever had a demonstrable and verifiable effect on the physical world beyond placebo which is just as easily invoked by the pure water of homeopathic remedies?

Meanwhile their physical actions of continuing to hold church services are only helping to spread the virus. So are they to compete on doing least harm? Or on "Our followers obey our instructions to self harm the least"?

Whichever one respects science the least is performing worst.

In the U.S. it would be Evangelicals.

I believe in America Christianity has created huge vulnerabilities in our society - and that is by being a primary force in the anti science attitudes of Americans, unique among developed nation's. And our response as a nation demonstrates how much superstitious thought has handicapped us to use science to quickly respond to threats like this.

The religion, (repeated behaviour), of believing bad information sources.

The effect of prayer, or lack thereof, on patients has actually been studied, and as Dan Barker has so famously quipped, 'Nothing fails like prayer.'
[nytimes.com]

This is sarcasm, right?

Yes, it could be very well. But I was thinking it would be interesting to know if people in the various religions (Christianity, Muslim, Jewish, Buddhist, etc.) are praying to not get sick, and whether they think it helps individually and as a whole world. I really haven't heard anyone from any religion call for prayers.

@toronto uuuummmm, Pence?

Evangelicals

With Bill Barr as A.G. my vote is for the people he really represents:
[buzzflash.com]

They all have, at least the Jewish, Christian, and Muslim ones, and probably many others I hadn't heard about. Although, most religious groups eventually came on board the social distancing.

In the United States, my guess would be the evangelicals. It seems many in those groups are the most radically thinking and seem to feel that they are being discriminated against if they don't "get their way" no matter what the situation may be. Most main stream protestant churches seem to be much more moderate than the far right wing groups. 🙂 Larry in western Kentucky

The worst impact on our society and world has come from the leftist politicians who have declared themselves gods. "We are saving lives." For what purpose? To provide years of suffering from no money, no food, no work,...
More lives are being destroyed than are being saved by this tyranny. Decades of pain brought to you by those who refuse to learn from new information.

Denial.

Religions spread their own particular interpretations of their fairy-tale texts.

I was mainly wondering from whose religion does their prayers help the most. They all pray, and I haven't heard anything from them saying that their prayers are being answered.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:493772
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.