Agnostic.com

52 14

When did you join and why do you stay?

I joined July 2017, and at the time only a small handful of people were on here with me. For a long time I was a regular on the chat boards, but I developed some relationships with people that became problematic. No blame, it was what it was and I decided to leave. I thought I might give it another go.

paul1967 8 May 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

52 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

September 2018. Here for the craic.

Okay, I'll bite...what is craic?

@AmyTheBruce
[en.wikipedia.org]

I learned a new word. 😊

@AmyTheBruce, Irish English. For the craic means for fun. What's the craic means "how are you?" or "what's up?", depending on the context. Where's the craic means "where's the party/fun ".

Toughen up and stay awhile. One has complete control over what one does on the internet. I joined about the same time as you and stay as it is an enjoyable and sometimes a learning experience and is a good online activity.

As an agnostic I joined in the hopes I would commiserate with like minded individuals .It turned out this could not be further from the truth .

I'm curious, are you willing to expand on what you mean?

Feel free to interact with FrankA, who posted many spirited, firmly agnostic comments up thread.

Do you see his comments, up thread?

@bigjac Yes I do thanks .

@paul1967 I see a lot of hate towards religious individuals with derogatory and obscene remarks. A recent post had some members stating they could not care less if a group of religious people died of corona virus .Also the same goes for the derogatory remarks to members with different political views .I am still here because I am in other groups and I enjoy debating with people regardless of my liking or not liking them .

@granny I fully 100% agree with you. Atheism or agnosticism isn’t an indicator for anything other than a position on God. Our community has the same number of undesirables as all other groups unfortunately.

I joined shortly after the website started in 2017 and rose to level 7 and was banned so I eventually rejoined under a different name mainly because of the friends I have met in here.

I remember your old profile. We had a few civil political debates. I always appreciated your reasoning even though we usually disagreed with each other’s conclusions. What I enjoyed the most was we weren’t disrespectful towards one another and that’s progress of a kind.

I joined in Oct. 2017. At first I was just curious to see what the site was like. I liked the idea of an angnostic/atheist site with dating aspects to it. I mostly liked how the conversations were much more factual and intellectual than what is on Facebook.

Joined a couple of years ago. I think.Ok, really, IDK. I'd have to look it up.

MUCH more interesting than FB, general forums and roofing forums. I honestly have an interest in religion....history of it, Things it has done. What it is doing and It's influences. etc etc I am satisfied that much is posted and it is called out on here for what it is, hopefully truthfully, rather than legitimized as some sort of fucking "wonder"
I'm still sorting through the trauma/ drama it has in my personal / family life.
This is a valued place for me

twill Level 7 May 16, 2020

There's roofing forums here?

@SolarWind Not here. On the internet

@twill haha. I got all excited.

I joined in June 2018 when I was looking into secular funerals and how to go about putting something in place for myself when I die...to save my family having to. I was on a Humanist site and for some reason got redirected here...curiosity made me join and see what it was all about.

This was my first venture into Social media as I’d decided not to join FB or any of the others. I have stayed because I have enjoyed the interaction with others, some of whom I’ve formed a bond of friendship with, despite the fact that I live in the UK and most of them are on the other side of the world. The fact that we don’t believe in god is secondary to the fact that regardless of belief or lack of it, we are gregarious and social animals, it is that social connectivity that I have found enjoyable and which has kept me here.

Ditto, but not surprising since I can be a little rough around the edges occasionally. Still appreciate having a forum to talk with people not drinking the cool aid. Coming to realize that most people live in a ridiculous made up reality that you can easily poke holes in to no point, because at heart they are comforted by it... I feel like growing up is a rough journey of stripping away your own delusions and seeing life for what it is. I believe this site is helping me do that even if there is a little friction occasionally.

Oct. 2017. Why I stay ??? I guess because the interactions bring back memories.

What memories do they bring back for you Jack?

@Marionville I could write a book. Often a post or comment brings back memories I had forgotten (or so I thought). The one on Adagio for strings was a piece I tried to have played at my late partner's memorial. She loved the community and sent out a message she wanted to see as many people as possible but no tears and no prayers so everybody had to hold their emotions. At the memorial I wanted this piece as a way for people to finally let go. I found a great rendition with beautiful nature scenes. We did a rehearsal and everything worked. When the end came and the piece was to be played there was no sound. Even the center technician couldn't get the sound back. Someone said they saw a woman go into the display room. Later, retelling this at this site I said she would not have approved of this piece at her memorial....and it did not happen. Too weird.
My life has been the curse of living in interesting times so there are tons of experiences (some good some not so much). This site is bringing many back to life again.

Just a bored atheist looking for interesting conversation and people. I drop out for a month or so every now and then, especially when most the posts get to being "religion did this to the world" and not topics that interest me. Yes, religion is bad but it exists and I deal with it. I may be a little self indulged but it's my keyboard and I'll do what I want with it.

2017 and still hoping to meet someone special! 😇

This site is great for a lot of things, but in my opinion dating isn’t one of them. You might legitimately feel differently, but even though I’m open to dating I’ve decided that this, for me, isn’t the site for that. All my problems on this site have come from the emotional consequences of dating members.

@paul1967 I’m sorry to hear that but I’m trying to be glass full type on this one so fingers crossed!

@sandrarocks83 As a (computer) scientist, I contend that is a false dichotomy :

"the glass is presently at 50% utilization" 😮 😛

Nov 2017. I’m masochistic.

@VeronikaAnnJ I was being my irreverent self. I’m glad you were amused.

@VeronikaAnnJ Thanks. Anytime I can be of service just let me know.

1. Don't remember exactly when. I'm pretty sure it was last year though.
  2. If I am still here it probably is because it's free and I've joined some pretty good groups that are not annoying.

I think you joined Sept. 14, 2018. Check it out on your profile page. 🙂

You joined September 2018 according to your profile.

. . . not sure ? . . . your profile 'confesses' the date 😮

@BestWithoutGods good to know.

@BestWithoutGods, @paul1967 wasn't that far off. Just 3 months to 2019.

@BestWithoutGods, @paul1967, @FearlessFly i never look at my profile. But thanks for letting me know where it is.

Joined Feb 25th, 2020.

I live in a house full of very conservative Christians. I come to this site to vent a little, or, at least, to remind myself that plenty of sensible folks are out there, and freely declaring atheism.

Simply posting a few words, from time to time, and doing the atheist equivalent of,
"Can I get an Amen?"
And reading some reply, that re-assures me I am not alone, in my atheism.

So, whoever reads this, can I get an atheist "amen?"

Ah-man... Sorry, that is the best I can do without pissing off my dark lord. Just kidding. Stick around to keep your sanity

Amen! 😁

You are not alone! Glad you're here! 🙂

@paul1967 Thanks!

@AmyTheBruce Thank you!
(Amen just means, "So be it." Kinda like, "Right on!" )

amen!

@hankster Thank you!

I made this account a little more than a year ago as I want to see networks that promote communities such as this one succeed and grow. As a community facilitator I would have not joined on board if I didn't know that the Agnostic team was one filled with great people who want to do good.

To add to this. There are thousands of atheist & agnostic themed groups on Facebook. But this team cares about the real time interactions and comments that people here are making. A real humanist component.

Longing for a community that's more like me and where I don't have to hide that I don't believe in a wizard in this sky.

I joined as a dating site in 2017, I met the most wonderful woman and we've been together since 2018. I came back for friendship and .... fellowship. Lol

You found the one? Lucky bastard😉

@paul1967 just be honest man

I joined the end of 2018. I stay...well I'm really not active on here but I am trying to be better at that. I stay because I hope to make some friendships or at the very least have some fun conversations.

I joined because I liked some of the commentary. I've blocked a few and been blocked by a few (no loss either way) but I find it an interesting way to spend time on occasion.

Plus I keep thinking a beautiful Atheist will arrive in my area and we will sweep each other off our feet.

A guy can dream, can't he?

Sounds like a good enough reason to stick around.

Forgetful of when I joined and cannot find the date on the site. With that said, I stay because of community and that being reinforced with blogs people have here. My problematic issues are people who want to debate you and apparently think every remark you post has to have an answer tit for tat until you simply give up on replying again to their nonsense. People need to be aware that if others give an opinion on a blog that said opinion is not always directed in an individual way. This is NOT a debate site. I am opinionated but I will not debate you.

You joined February 11th 2018 according to your profile page.. I understand, debating isn’t for everyone and more times than not it solves nothing. When I debate it stays civil or I walk away. I debate with one thing in mind, is my position the better position or do I believe for bad reasons. If I believe for bad reasons then it won’t take long for my mind to be changed. I think a positive debate is all in the way we approach it.

December 23, 2017. I also remeber when this was very new and it was a good thing. I stay on the site as there are many good people here, but mostly to help new people on the site who may still have questions bout gods, religion,and why people do not believe.

There's definitely a comfort in a community of other atheists, even if that includes agnostics. I stay in order to engage consistently with others, knowing I can still debate with people I disagree with.

Came for the dating site part, but now focus on community (unless the opportunity arises). Not sure when I signed up.

Aug 8, 2018. I stay because this is one of the better and more active atheist websites.

Being stupid It sure looks like!!!

Unlikely mined people are everywhere!!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:496297
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.