Agnostic.com

77 20

Too many atheists are hostile to the religious. I understand the animosity but I don't think it is deserved.

Chickenwing 5 May 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

77 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I try to be kind to the people who are victims of the scam. Those who ignorantly perpetuate the scam are also victims. The victims have my pity. After all, I was also a victim for about 30 years, brainwashed as a child.

My hostility is toward the scam itself, and those who knowingly perpetrate the scam.

How can you differentiate the ones who are "knowingly perpetuating" the scam and those who are simply reinforcing the scam by practicing it out of real belief or just trying to fit into the social dynamics of a community, and why would there be a reason to differentiate among them?

@redbai One who knowingly lies in order to get money out of people deserves all the scorn he can get. One who sincerely believes the lie he has been told is not as culpable.

It's like a man who willingly pushes a person off a high cliff. He is guilty of murder. But a person who unintentionally bumps into a person who falls off the cliff is not guilty of murder. As a retired lawyer, I understand that intention is a key element of a crime.

Now, how can I tell if a preacher is intentionally lying? That is difficult. It requires some research into the person's past. Until I know that he is intentionally scamming people, I give him the benefit of the doubt.

One person I know was intentionally lying is Joseph Smith, the "prophet" who founded the Moron (oops, Mormon) church in 1830. The "sacred" books he wrote are full of lies.

You do not think those that engage in spiritual and psychological abuse using their religions as fuel, and trying to erode other peoples' human RIGHTS, are deserving of hostility?? Well aren't you a privileged hippie who's rights are not threatened by religious nutters. Must be nice to be an older, white STRAIGHT man.

Bombs strapped to bodies, and planes flown into buildings. Holy wars, technology held back hundreds of years, and much more . . . a bit of grumpiness is warranted.

"Too many atheists are hostile to the religious."

Where's your proof to back up this claim?

As an atheist since age 13, most of my friends are Christians. I date Christian men.

But if someone tried to convert me, I'm OUT.

I think that this is something that happens mostly in the US. I have done some traveling and have found that in other countries people are not so. They are not that way inclined in Australia where I live.

Is there hostility toward atheism where you have traveled and in Australia?

@itsmedammit No, not really. Not even in the Phillipines where they are very religious (Catholic), and I have travelled in Islamic countries too. The only place I have come across it from some people is in the USA. You can feel the anger and hostility when one talks about being an agnostic from some people.

Please explain why you don't think it is deserved.

I think it is deserved. Any group that can stand and yell, "your going to really burn in hell forever if you don't believe us" has a lot of issues on their plates. Making people pay them money because of lies and wishing hell and torment if they are not supported monetarily and verbally. Fuck them

As a once religious person I think today that you are not playing with a full deck if you believe in the magic man in the sky. People might ask "well, what about you?" It's the same story. Once upon a time I did not play with a full deck, but I woke up.

For clarification, I agree with you and feel my own deconversion in what you describe. The rest of my comment is not criticism.

I think a degree of animosity is justified when "waking up" (as you say) is ridiculed and degraded - demonized - by those still "asleep". Enough derision and belittling of nonbelievers occurs among believers that animosity should be expected. Nonbelievers receive a good deal of discrimination. The Pew Forum link below shows that 77% of Americans surveyed say religion is important with 53% saying it us very important.

[pewforum.org]

"Waking up", is derogatory toward yourself. More like going against the grain when you find the truth.
Its not an easy path. Its not a choice after we break from the brainwashing and societal pressure.

I worked for a white supremacist bishop for eight years. He took twenty years off my life.
Keep your silly beliefs to yourself and you won't have to listen to rational educated people and that should make you happy.

I don't know that "hostile" is an accurate term.
I think many people are simply wary of being drawn into conversation with the hopelessly stupid.

" I understand the animosity but I don't think it is deserved."
Which? You can't have it both ways.

Hostile in what sense? Mere disagreement and ridicule can be incorrectly percieved and labeled as hostile.

If you mean hostile as in threatening or conducting violence, then I disagree. I have personal experience on here and in meeting hundreds of atheists in person, and I haven't yet met an atheist who thought or behaved in such way.

Is there not a reason to have reservations about people who will murder people for not believing in their imaginary friend? I am justified.

If anything, the religious are getting off easy.

Missed my last post I guess . . . . No matter how they try to dress it up, Christianity IS a form of hate, if not racism. When someone dehumanizes other people, i.e. . . .

Matthew 7:6
"Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces.

It is a direct quote from their so-called god . . . "dogs", and "pigs"? . . . that is clearly and unambiguously a form of hate. It's not harmless . . . . and the comment is not something they can just explain away.

I agree. I've been part of some of our local atheist groups, but haven't found one that talks about interesting topics. They seem focused on bashing those who have Christian beliefs, mostly (probably due to living in the Bible belt), but also religions in general. Since we're all agnostic/atheist, it's like preaching to the choir (heh). I eventually quit attending gatherings.

I should think that the level of hostility would usually be a direct reflection of the harm done.

Those to whom little harm was done may have a more relaxed or indifferent attitude toward religion. Those to whom much harm was done may be very hostile toward religion.

I suppose that I should also add a caveat for empathy. There are those who suffered no personal harm, who are nonetheless very hostile toward what religion has done to others.

I think it is unwise to judge anyone's attitude toward religion without first knowing why they hold that attitude. Ask their story. Hell, you might even make a new friend by asking.

I agree to an extent. The anger or hostility only does damage to the person suffering from it. I have been screwed over by many people I once considered family. I was angry for a bit, then declared them non-people. They no longer exist.

@Holysocks if one can let go, I agree that this is usually best. I once read that "forgiveness" should not be treated as condoning an action, or even necessarily as a chance to repair a relationship. Rather, forgiveness should be treated as "ceasing to hold resentment toward".

Nice if one can do it, I suppose. Sometimes I can; sometimes not.

@AmyTheBruce
It's tricky. And most people who have taken advantage of me have the same last name. 'Sonofabitch'.

Hostile? I'm anti-religion. I ignore this stuff in my daily life because it's pointless to argue. On this forum, when some religious believer tries to sneak in there with their stupid crap, I lash out. I don't go on a religious forum and tell the morons that's they're morons. That would be hostile.

Wait, what? Where do you get your info from?

His amygdala I suppose!

I'm not hostile, I just think they're fucking imbeciles that should keep their beliefs to themselves especially as in many places you can get anything from violent words to death for not believing when religious beliefs with zero proof have been and still are the reason for so much hate and murder.

Yes... Smite them all... Round them all up along with the Trump supporters.... I am not anti-religious... I am anti-stupidity!

AMEN!

We have a State Rep here in Washington State that stated he wanted every male killed who was not a christian.
That means he would make all females slaves. And he was voted in and reelected.
So, what is your question?

Well, Moses set a great example by killing males and married women of defeated tribes and keeping the virgins for himself and his sidekicks. An example was at Jabesh-gilead as written in Judges21:10-24 and Moses is a hero to many or most xans.

What part of Washington? If you don't mind me asking. I moved to Sequim when I retired. From what I've seen on the news the eastern side of the state has quite a few wackadoodles residing there.

@EskieMom Spokane. Where else?

I really didn't look at the eastern side of the state when looking for a place to move, primarily because of the weather - too much like Ohio. It wasn't till I started seeing the news here that I became aware of the political extremism there, which is must worse than in Ohio. We had some backward hillbillies, but not nearly as crazy as Matt Shea.

How do you define hostile to the religious?

What, ask them to defend their dishonest assertion that faith (belief without evidence) is an methodology to determine truth (testable demonstrable).

• OOOhh that's pretty hostile.

Yep, that's as bad as the religious sentencing non believers to death.

They entered into a covenant to seek the Lord, the God of their fathers, with all their heart and soul; and everyone who would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, was to be put to death, whether small or great, whether man or woman. (2 Chronicles 15:12-13 NAB)

and

Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the LORD your God must be put to death. Such evil must be purged from Israel. (Deuteronomy 17:12 NLT)

@Chickenwing It sounds like you are the lone atheist among your family and friends and you take offense to people on this site disparaging them. I can't help it. I don't care if I have no friends left in the world. Religion is stupid and I have no respect for those who follow it. Whether they deserve respect or not.

Hostility toward believers only further solidifies their intellectual and emotional captivity. They are fearfully bonded to life-long conditioning. Respecting their inability or unwillingness to be emancipated and settng a better moral example can inspire curiosity.

Any criticism and explained hostility should be toward 'isms' holding them captive by fear. Fear and ignorance combined with admonitions to distrust their native ('god given'😉 reasoning faculties are what entraps them.

Get them to reason by polite example and expansion of curiosity by pointing out how captors keep them herded and how sll power and benefits go to those in charge. Most will eventually emancipate themselves.

I don't care about their emotional captivity. They can believe whatever they want. I just know that it's a fairytale. I don't care about these people either way if they stay out of my grill.

Agreed, and well said. The old saying 'You catch more flys with honey than veniger' is very true.

@barjoe Outward displays of 'not caring' about people go a long way toward confirming lies they are told by theological captors about all atheists.

It might feel good personally to lash back out of our own frustrations over people being unable to reason 'outside their little boxes' but it only serves to cause them to feel more secure in their 'safe zones'. Better example ALWAYS causes curiosity because it doesn't comport with what they are falsely told.

I was once initially insulted by a close friend who said I was more 'Christian' than any of the Christians he knew from church, family, etc. In my scope it came as an offensive comparison. In his, it was a high compliment and with a slight delay, I took it as such. If another atheist said it I'd Likely have remained insulted. All just a matter of frame of reference.

If horses could talk and I as a wild horse visited another horse in a barn who told me I was like the horses out in the pasture, the sentiment might be similar. What can one see from a stall?

@Silver1wun It's not a outward display. I really could take or leave people in general. People can think whatever they want to. If they still believe in Santa Claus I'm not one to clue them in. I don't want to hear about their silly beliefs. When they come with their religious nonsense I ignore them. This website is great. I can express my hatred of religion and all it's followers without having to hear the crybabies cry.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:498914
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.