Agnostic.com

49 8

Would you rather work at a place you love where you make very little money or a place you hate where you make a lot? Why?

• 68 votes
  • 14 votes
Mea 7 Apr 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

49 comments (26 - 49)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This one's easy. Doesn't matter how much money you're making if it's a shitty work environment. Been there, done that, wasn't worth it. Never again.

I choose love. But I have the luxury of choice as I worked my ass off and now don't need to work at all. So at different times in my life, making a lot of money was important. However I liked my jobs at least for a while. Every job I hated or where I was asked to do something unethical, I quit.

I also realized, after training to be a mental health counselor (my planned retirement job), that similar office politics and bullshit all exsist there. I'd have to start at the bottom making jack-shit and the stress level was different but far more emotionally draining.

So I still do some IT consulting management part time and make more for spending less of my time and energy. That I love.

I think most of us want to achieve a balance between being happy at work and paying the bills to live the lifestyle we want. Also a balance between spending or saving for retirement.

Money is overrated and won't take a penny with me when I kick the bucket, so rather be happy working where I can learn whatever every day..... I understand everyone is different, there is no wrong answer here.... Cheers !!

Impossible to answer without knowing how little "very little" is and what options one really has.
Overall I always went for earning much less than I could have but instead doing something I enjoy doing, that gives me freedom, does not involve stupid bosses, let's me do things in my own time etc. But even with this my income is way above average, so things are in the end are really very relative. If it was so little that I would struggle to put food on the table I would probably change my opinion, at least for a while. I don't know.

I would rather work in a place I love but home economics isn't always about just me. For loved ones I'd make the sacrifice which in theory should make me happy. In theory.

I hear that. In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they aren't.

Been there done both. To make enuff the dislike can be handled til you can retire or find the job you love is a challenge I actually over came. Once I finally got into a UNION SHOP the pay was not the issue anymore. Course it the job was terrible and the pay low it was easy to say 'fuck it' I'm outta here. Did that alot too 🙂.
Technology finally over ran my job in the printing industry so I became a potter - gezzzz talk about low paid but a job you love. 🙂

I will let you know soon. I'm making a lot of money. But growing very despondent by the day. I just got this job 1.5 months ago so quitting isn't really cool right now.

Bummer. Are you sure it is the job that is making you despondent? If it is, I recommend that you start your job search and quit as soon as you can. Good luck.

Place I love with one caveat: I'd want to make enough to get by, and maybe a wee bit for a drop to drink on occasion.

I don't need a lot, I just need to feel useful, to eat, drink, chase merry (pun intended), and sleep well.l

I rather as I am... stay Retired. Being there, done that. No love, no hate... works for me not working at all while still able. Everyday I have to justify myself to the working class. My answer it is always the same... Do you know how many people die without ever retiring? Then I smile while saying... "That's my Final Answer".

I do a job I love, but make little. It's me at my happiest.

For mental health reasons, I no longer work where the money was at. I love what I do now, but it's difficult to make ends meet. I do the best that I can. I'm a single parent, get no child support, and don't qualify for assistance of any kind. We get creative with how to entertain ourselves without money. The bonus is my peace of mind.

Lani Level 5 Apr 13, 2018

Place you love with little money, because when you work in a job that you love it feels like you never worked a single day in your life. Where if you work in a place you hate it gets harder and harder each day to get out of bed and go to work.

Been in jobs I hate, but liked the people...likewise been in jobs I liked but hated the people. So many variables.

Have you nothing in between? 🙂

Have done both

I fortunately work where I love, for I help others and not merely focus on my financial existence.

I was lucky, my best job was both well rewarded and at a place I loved. I have been fortunate never to work at a place I hated, but I did see changes, or as I call it, "The Attack of the Killer MBA's," where a flock of MBA's were hired, in fact it became a job requirement, and they promptly destroyed the work environment, and one by one the good people left, the companies foundered.

I say do whatever you have to do that is leagal, and doesn't hurt anyone. You can afford the life you really want to lead. And if find that special someone along the way, then you've made it.

It has been said (and I'm paraphasing) "if you love your work, you don't work a day in your life." With that said, if you make little money working a job you love you are then going to be healthy. And if you're healthy you spend less on medical bills. Plus, you're happier that you otherwise be, and that pays more than money.

Gohan Level 7 Apr 4, 2018

Money is overrated and won't take a penny with me when I kick the bucket, so rather be happy working where I can learn whatever every day..... I understand everyone is different, there is no wrong answer here.... Cheers !!

I've done both. Money means less when I'm miserable with what I have to put up with to make it. As long as I can keep a roof over my head and the lights on, less money is okay if I'm happy with the job.

I've never had a job I hated. I don't think I could live like that, regardless of the money. I've also never had a job that didn't pay well, except when I was a kid on the farm and got a quarter a week for doing my chores. Answering the question as asked: I would rather make less and be happy than make more and be miserable.

It would be more logical to work in a place you hate to make more money. In the long run you would be able to retire sooner then live your life the way you want. Maybe then find a job you love that pays less so you aren't bored during the first part of retirement. Working a job you love that pays less is probably better for your mental/ physical health while at work, but is less money in life stressing over bills worth it? Personally I have 2 jobs they both pay well but I hate one of them, mainly because it's restaurant work and a majority of the employees are not very intelligent at all. I get frustrated because there is no common sense anymore and this entitlement phase has made people extremely lazy. But I get well for the BS I have to deal with so I don't have to worry about rent or any other bills.

I don't see any logic in being miserable.

@KKGator well the logic is be miserable and have money not liking your job but you can afford to live comfortably and do/buy things you want or be miserable because you don't have enough money to make ends meet and do the things you really want to do. I understand your point though it's very hard to find a job you like that pays what you need and some.

@Bloodmoon There was nothing in the question that indicated working a job one loves would not be paying a living wage. It was simply a matter of loving a job where you made little, as opposed to working a job you hate and making a lot.
I didn't assume that making little money would mean I couldn't survive.
I've learned to live on much less than many people. As long as I'm relatively happy,
I'd rather be poor than rich and miserable doing something I hated.

When I lived in communes I worked for nothing and it was pretty liberating got fed well clothed had holidays at other communes - lots of friends from outside the commune who visited, lots to do loved it ! So much fun and laughter even the meetings were mostly funny.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:50088
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.