Agnostic.com

86 18

Would you live in a 400 sq ft home, if it meant you could live in an absolutely beautiful place?

You can live in the most beautiful place you've ever seen, but your house would be ... not so great and tiny. Do you think it is worth the trade-off?

silvereyes 8 Apr 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

86 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Absolutely. As long as I could make it work. One deal-breaker: no teeny tiny loft bedroom where I couldn't stand up and would have to climb down a ladder to use the bathroom. Oh, and it must be clean, safe, and have electricity and indoor plumbing.

Honestly my dream home is to have a tiny home and live off the grid..im largely a minimalist and seeings how I'm a single dude with no kids I strongly dislike living in a space where I have so much extra or unused room.

How about 800? 675?

Absolutely. Even if I lived in a less than beautiful place, I could make that work.

I think I could live in 400 sq ft, but I’d need a workshop for all my woodworking tools.

yes sometimes you need room for things that arent just stuff

Yes, absolutely, without hesitation. I don't need much space, to be honest, so this is a win/win.

I would live in a leisure suit if I could live in an absolutely beautiful place! A 400 sq. foot dwelling would be ideal. My dog only weighs 5 pounds.

One can live in beautiful places with even less. It can be as little as a backpack and tent or even a room shared with one or more others in remote resorts seasonally. A dwelling furnishes needs like shelter for showers, rest, vegetating and stuff. The most beautiful parts of the world and adventure for me are outside.

Exactly! My retirement home will be a van.

@Untamedshrew Tension and charge are inside related. Discharge and relaxation are primarily outside functions.

Yes!!
It would also mean my parents would be less inclined to invade my space when they're in the country. And it'd be perfect, because I never leave my room anyway.

If it is warm enough sure, but hells bells not in Ohio. Extended indoor living is a neccessity at times here. My final frontier needs space.

jeffy Level 7 Apr 5, 2018

agreed! Not in Colorado either!

If it were near a metropolitan area and in a place that wasn't too religious, that was mostly liberal, and that didn't get too cold in the winter. 😀

Let me design it and decorate... large balcony, patio, jaccuzzi and pool required outside of the 400's and a garden fir the lady, that is what beautiful be to me... beachfront mind you... and just me... my partner will need her space and time away from me.

Probably, If we're talking a nice sort of "tiny home" and not the grubbiest box of concrete with hardly so much as a window.

But I'd still need somewhere else to keep all my books!

Absolutely YES, I intend to live in a 30 sq. ft. space.... for at least a year..... maybe more if it seems like I’m not done with my travels yet, and I have been living in a 400 sq. ft. Studio for 5 years and it’s been great..... here is a pic of the house I built for traveling....and I can park it on the north rim of the Grand Canyon or by a lake in upstate New York.... the views will be awesome I think....

Yes, As long as I had a king size bed.

won't fit-queen is largest on shows I've seen.

@silvereyes I guess I'd have to live with it. And all company I guess would have to share the bed with me. Not a bad scenario.

A house that size you could put on wheels And take it with you

Yes. Spent the seven years of primary school with no house at all. It's an abosultely fantastic way to raise pre-teens. You've got to civilise them a bit once high school starts though.

400sq ft is not enough to compensate!

I am someone who can be satisfied with very little so yeah I could do it. Just as long as I can fit my bed in there.

Its all relative... I have my house in the city and its kind of my dream house ( to long story, out of what we are discussing here). Because of a new job, I started driving a crazy commute of 70 miles (one way) on daily basis (doable but still crazy), so I found a very small apartment half a mile from my new job. Its small and borderline decent and yet I am loving it !!! Why????... No one can tell me a thing about anything. I like to keep it neat and tidy because I want to, not because I may be yelled at. Is it the nicest place, no? Is it my place for my own time? Heck yes !! (I have discussed loneliness in other postings... That's a different question)

@moonmaid I wish you luck. If you find a place then you will see what I mean. Its really awesome !!!

Yes, and no, depending on the layout, because the "beautiful place" extends your home. (At least if you have windows and spend a great deal of time outdoors.)

Pretty sure some of the places I've lived have been 400 sq ft or less, but I was living by myself and it was before I acquired junk, which I now keep in storage. Those were temporary places. Gotta say, I'm happier in my current home.

I currently live in an exquisite setting, in a 690 sq ft condo, but with a lanai. I spend a lot of time indoors, mostly at my computer, but I have a huge window looking out directly to the ocean, so I may be in a small place, but I'm not claustrophobic because of the opportunity to look out, or go out into the big wide world anytime I wish.

Trying to think if I lost the bedroom and a few feet off my living room, if I'd be happy... I don't use the extra space, but I like that it's there. I suppose if my current home was reduced to 400 sq ft, I'd make a sleeping loft above my computer, and put my books in storage to make room for my wardrobe, and would be fine, if I could stay right here, with my view.

Easily, I have lived in smaller. I can make any place look good.

Location means a lot to me. The first house I owned was 500 sq. ft. and it was fine at the time. But now I have "stuff" that I enjoy having/using so my current 1,000 sq. ft. is feeling cramped. I like large, old houses in tattered condition, on scenic acreage. I have all of that now except the "large".

skado Level 9 Apr 5, 2018

yes

First thing I would investigate is the weather. If it was warm most of the year, yes because the entire world could be your living room. If cold...not a chance. Nothing about 'cabin fever' is attractive to me with 15hrs of darkness per day in the frigidity of late fall to spring. Don't know how prospector types did it without scratching their eyes out.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:50414
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.